C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Professional websites with apparently good customer ratings/reviews/comments are also often deceptive -- I know of one large furniture retailer which simply removes strongly negative ones... 😞

I know of a few professional-looking websites with "reviews" and "testimonials" from people who are just the stock image from the template they bought too :D 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, IanD said:

Indeed -- and not a single reference to "company" that I can see, to keep everybody on here happy... 😉

He does mention a "team", suggesting that it's not just him.  A company can consist of just one person, but a team can't.

• Greenie 1

I note he's had the good sense not to return to this thread.

Probably doesn't need such negativity in his life, nor some old farts trying to damage his business and reputation.

Some of the members on here do sometimes have a over inflated opinion of how important CWDF is to the waterways. In reality it isnt.

Edited by M_JG

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think we have come to the conclusion that he is OK, or better. But one has to bear in mind that there are a lot of scammers out there and his initial posts were a bit vague, no website, seemingly dodgy address, several potential red flags. So folk were just being cautious. IMO prising the information out of him and perhaps prompting him to set up a website, is to his long term benefit. And he also showed reasonable patience and didn't behave like a sulky teenager as so many do these days. So all of that is to his credit and helps his reputation.

The one thing the thread hasn't delved into is insurance. Connor's site says fully insured with Mercia Marine but the details could do with expanding upon, as previous threads which have delved into boat mover insurance show what a hornet's nest this can be.

And this would be my first concern were I to be looking for a boat mover.

Just a suggestion. 

Edited by MtB
Remove a stray word.

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

The one thing the thread hasn't delved into is insurance. Connor's site says fully insured with Mercia Marine but the details could do with expanding upon, as previous threads which have delved into boat mover insurance show what a hornet's nest this can be.

And this would be my first concern were I to be looking for a boat mover.

Just a suggestion. 

If I wanted my boat moved, that is something I would check before committing. Do you put your professional liability insurance details on your webpage?

Just now, nicknorman said:

If I wanted my boat moved, that is something I would check before committing. Do you put your professional liability insurance details on your webpage?

Good point, no I don't. But then Gas Safe Register check that before admitting technicians to the Register. Is there a professional body checking boat mover insurances? Prolly not! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Good point, no I don't. But then Gas Safe Register check that before admitting technicians to the Register. Is there a professional body checking boat mover insurances? Prolly not! 

I think it can never be categoric because someone might eg have an insurance policy become due for renewal half way through the process, and forget/fail to do so. Or cancel a policy that is paid for monthly etc etc. There has to be some degree of trust.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think it can never be categoric because someone might eg have an insurance policy become due for renewal half way through the process, and forget/fail to do so. Or cancel a policy that is paid for monthly etc etc. There has to be some degree of trust.

Were I to do any of that I'd be thrown off the Register. If they found out! 

But I've no eye deer how much monitoring they do. Probably loads, knowing the way UK bureaucrats operate.

Back in the days of Covid for example, they emailed all of us demanding to be notified if we were temporarily stopping working as a result of Covid. In which they would delete us from the Register and re-admit us on re-application once we planned to recommence gas work. FFS! 

50 minutes ago, MtB said:

When I worked Offshore we had a copy of the public liability  insurance certificate every company that had personnel came onto the platform. A filing cabinet full.

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I worked Offshore we had a copy of the public liability  insurance certificate every company that had personnel came onto the platform. A filing cabinet full.

Same when I was a listed contractor at Thames and Kennet Marina. No PLI certificate, no admittance to site.

Officially that is. But mooring there too, I had free run of the place! 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

The super-cautious may wish to take a policy to cover the possibility of a third party failing to insure.  And yes, such policies are available for some risks.