C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

It is only a simple check box when registering a domain to block having your personal details display on a whois lookup so not really a valid check on whether something is real or not.

Indeed :

Domain name:
        canalplan.uk

Data validation:
        Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 20-Aug-2019

Registrar:
        Easy Internet Solutions Ltd t/a NetNerd [Tag = EASY-INTERNET]
        URL: https://netnerd.com

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 20-Aug-2019
        Expiry date:  20-Aug-2023
        Last updated:  22-Aug-2022

Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
        ns3.netnerd.com
        ns4.netnerd.com

WHOIS lookup made at 19:30:19 07-Feb-2023

or for mine

Data validation:
        Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 10-Mar-2017

Registrar:
        Easy Internet Solutions Ltd t/a NetNerd [Tag = EASY-INTERNET]
        URL: https://netnerd.com

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 29-Nov-1998
        Expiry date:  29-Nov-2024
        Last updated:  25-Nov-2022

Edited by StephenA

9 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Anyway Connor, despite the Spanish Inquisition you are now a signed up member of CWF and should anyone require your services they can contact you and satisfy themselves of your suitability. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have met you and do not doubt it.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of the Spanish, I wonder if any of the Armada made it 'up the cut'

Edited by Smiles

1 minute ago, Jon57 said:

Better to just string them along 👍

Look, this thread is convoluted enough, don’t mention ‘string’ or they’ll all want to hang their washing on it, then the arguments will erupt, so far it’s just been a spat in the girls playground all getting their panties in a knot. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I don’t think you can purchase a Poste Restante service. 
I understand Poste Restante is a free service for short/temporary use. usually a few weeks, perhaps a month? it’s at the discretion of the Post Office Manager 

Whether you can purchase another service I don’t know, or whether the Post Office kind of ‘turns a blind eye’ with a regular customer is something else. 

but no I don’t believe you can purchase a Poste Restante address. 

I didn't suggest you purchased anything, and you can have it for 3 months.
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I used to have a PO box address on my driving licence once. I don't suppose they allow that anymore 

Correct they don't. You need to be traceable to a permanent address.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Correct they don't. You need to be traceable to a permanent address.

Well it was 25 years ago. I think the PO box was linked to an address, but that address was a boatyard. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, C W Boatmover said:

Hi Tony, I appreciate everything you’ve said and will work towards making it a more streamlined business. 

Whether it’s a non residential address, or a PO Box. At the end of the day, no one books my services by post or by visiting my home address. 

99% contact myself via Telephone, Email or by viewing my social media channels and making an enquiry. 

People are absolutely entitled to do their own research, and if the address issue puts them off, it puts them off. That’s entirely their right and choice. 

However as a Sole Trader (Which is still a company btw) who focuses on delivering boats and giving tuition/advice my focus is on delivering a service that doesn’t involve my own postal address, and rather that of visiting the client. 

This year I’ve got a team working with me, which consists of myself, a fellow Boatmover, a professional merchant seaman and also a Web designer. 

Everything is 100% legitimate, it’s not a scam or a legal loophole. It’s simply following my career delivering boats which is my passion and skill. 

That’s all 😊 

I understand. Check with a lawyer, but I think that if you refer to yourself as a company then it could constitute "passing off" which is a legal phrase with specific meaning. I doubt it would matter until/unless someone decided to start trouble for you. If I was in your shoes, I would avoid the use of "company" in any publications of any sort. Use "business" on your Facebook page and the passing off thing goes away.

What I have been trying to convey to you is that the Facebook link and a little bit of digging threw up concerns. Such concerns have the potential to cause potential customers to look elsewhere. Eventually it was clear you are a legitimate business, but would a new boater dig that deep. If you think yes then fine, but if you think they may not then surely it is just good business practice to alter things so that risk is avoided. Remember that I was not the one who originally raised questions about the legitimacy of your business.

I wish you every success in your business and I knew after that silly spat between two members you are legit.

• Greenie 4

@Tony Brooks I understand, I didn’t want to make my last transmission rude or stand off ish. 

No business is perfect, but thankfully with advice and wisdom off people things change. 

But with all the negativity I’ve witness, and been the subject off it questions the true boating ethos. What happened to the days when boaters alike looked after each other, rather than try shoot down and make them the centre of some Joke. 

I appreciate your support, and hope you have a happy and prosperous 2023! 

• Greenie 2

52 minutes ago, C W Boatmover said:

...However as a Sole Trader (Which is still a company btw) ...

As Tony indicates, I am not sure that's right. I think a company would need to be registered at Companies House.  If you are not registered (and as a sole trader you don't have to be) then better to not use "company".

Becoming a company has some advantages, in terms of limiting your liability if things go seriously wrong, but also means some significant extra costs.  Only you can decide if it is worth it.

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

As Tony indicates, I am not sure that's right. I think a company would need to be registered at Companies House.  If you are not registered (and as a sole trader you don't have to be) then better to not use "company".

Becoming a company has some advantages, in terms of limiting your liability if things go seriously wrong, but also means some significant extra costs.  Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Is not the actual correct term.

'Imited company'.

Not just 'company'.

I know people who run 'companies' but dont fret about pedantic people calling them out for a slight error in terminology.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The OP, one of his colleagues and I had a negative experience a while back, he and his colleague were bringing two boats back up from the far East, and had been held back by Nene stoppages. When his mate came past, the wave was literally topping the towpath, CW was not far behind, but going a bit slower...although still too fast.

I highlighted the experience on here, and CW joined the forum silently within 24 hours(maybe alerted by the facebook site?).

He didnt post on the thread, and apparently, they ran another forum member onto the bank North of Tamworth on the same trip.

However, it's a learning process for all.

I stand by everything I said then, and since, have not had a bad experience with them passing, indeed, hopefully CW is learning as he goes along, and has decided speed deliveries are not a good idea.

He has also picked up work from several local brokers.

As a boat mover(lapsed due to non stop boat and painting work), I never went fast, just economically moved using the boat to do most of the work, over very long hours. I was fully aware that the towpath telegraph would report me if I was doing anything antisocial or wrong, besides the fact that I absolutely love my boating. I didnt have a set address, living on a boat, however, my insurance company didnt have an issue with that, my c/o point was fine.

I didnt advertise then, work was mainly through recommendation, my website was on this website footer, however was removed as I became unavailable for any work due to becoming tied non stop workwise to a local area and pressures of the parents declining.

I am sure CW is listening and taking care of all concerns, cut the lad some slack, you might need his services sometime..( even to move a caravan from an flooded field once climate change really kicks in. 😀

Good post Matty.

But I would just ask.

If a boat mover is moving a boat and the boat is going too fast how is the 'hate' correctly directed? To the owner not the mover?

I say again though you did a great job when you moved our boat, and you didn't rip us off cost wise.

Edited by M_JG