C W Boatmover

Disused Account

Featured Posts

Thing is, if you look back far enough the forum was much the same then as it is now.

Someone once managed to link to a thread from many many years ago when the the current site owner was locked in a heated argument before he owned the forum.

I can't find it now so maybe it's been hidden.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

The bit that puzzles me is why MJG as a banned poster has been allowed to re-register here and carry on with his low-level goading behaviour so well illustrated in this thread. 

Back in the day I proposed that banned posters should be allowed to re-register a new ID and the new ID allowed to carry on, provided it behaved itself. But a mod weighed in (or I think it might have been Dan himself) telling me the policy is that the persons themselves are banned, not their user IDs. So any new doppel ID would not be allowed either.

M_JG seems to have managed to breach this ruling while others have been refused the chance to come back. 

Maybe subsequent events and the circumstances under which that took place were accepted as unreasonable?

Remember Liptons? They had a catchy tune in their adverts. 

‘Liptons makes the money go round’ etc etc..

I wrote to them at the time but heard nothing back.

’Liptons makes your money go round, For a square meal’. I personally thought it a goodun!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Back in the day I proposed that banned posters should be allowed to re-register a new ID and the new ID allowed to carry on, provided it behaved itself. But a mod weighed in (or I think it might have been Dan himself) telling me the policy is that the persons themselves are banned, not their user IDs. So any new doppel ID would not be allowed either.

But how could that be policed? You don't have to give your real name to join

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

But how could that be policed? You don't have to give your real name to join

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I know nothing about these numbers, but have a childhood memory of books full of little blue stick on stamps?

Divi numbers preceded those.

52 minutes ago, MtB said:

The bit that puzzles me is why MJG as a banned poster has been allowed to re-register here and carry on with his low-level goading behaviour so well illustrated in this thread. 

M_JG seems to have managed to breach this ruling while others have been refused the chance to come back. 

As have a few others!

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Divi numbers preceded those.

And now divi numbers have been back for some years - the difference being its all stored on a chip on a plastic 'divi credit card'.

My number being 663xxx  (x being a hidden digit, because I dont want any one stealing my divi)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

These comments are quite distasteful. 

Is this what we do to self employed businesses in 2023? 

I’ve been moving boats on behalf of brokerages, clients and other boatmovers for some time now. 

Im currently in the process of getting a website built, but you wouldn’t know that would you until I published it 😂 

Thanks everyone for your participation. 

Gave a great week! :) 

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, C W Boatmover said:

These comments are quite distasteful. 

Is this what we do to self employed businesses in 2023? 

I’ve been moving boats on behalf of brokerages, clients and other boatmovers for some time now. 

Im currently in the process of getting a website built, but you wouldn’t know that would you until I published it 😂 

Thanks everyone for your participation. 

Gave a great week! :) 

Der you posted about you were building a website on your Facebook page, but I wasn't sure if that was timed after you had posted on here and was reacting to the negative comments. 

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why do some folk here think that a Facebook page counts for nothing, but a website demonstrates bona fides? Either can be set up by anybody, quickly and at little or no cost, and neither is vetted by any authority. Same with a small ad in a newspaper, magazine or online advertising site, or for that matter a postcard in the corner shop window.

Anyone thinking of using the OP's services would of course be advised to do some checking before parting with any money (or their boat's keys), but that is no different to doing business with any other small trader you haven't used before.

The OP has offered a service that may be of use to folk here, and he has asked for Admin approval to do so. I can't quite see why so many posters have taken against him.

Totally agree, but when the business fails one of those initial checks e.g. the address claimed turning out to be false, alarm bells sound don't you think?

2 hours ago, dmr said:

The forum is moving in new directions so maybe the ops could create a new section, it could be called "Arguments". This could probably be divided into sub sections, a bit like with the vintage engines. We could have a "stroppy boaters arguments" section, a "never owned a boat" section" and a "not owned a canal boat for ages but still like to argue" section. 😀

Funnily enough, many years ago when the forum was going through one of its more sticky patches, I did suggest something similar but if I remember correctly it was poo pooed as unnecessary. Plus ca change etc! 😄

Howard

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Totally agree, but when the business fails one of those initial checks e.g. the address claimed turning out to be false, alarm bells sound don't you think?

How many times have we had advice on here to potential liveaboards that you need a postal address for a few official purpose, but that you don't ever need to use it because everything can be done online and by phone these days?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

The forum is moving in new directions so maybe the ops could create a new section, it could be called "Arguments". This could probably be divided into sub sections, a bit like with the vintage engines. We could have a "stroppy boaters arguments" section, a "never owned a boat" section" and a "not owned a canal boat for ages but still like to argue" section. 😀

We  could just have a creche, there would be several who would qualify for places.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why do some folk here think that a Facebook page counts for nothing, but a website demonstrates bona fides? Either can be set up by anybody, quickly and at little or no cost, and neither is vetted by any authority. Same with a small ad in a newspaper, magazine or online advertising site, or for that matter a postcard in the corner shop window.

As I said earlier, with your own website and domain, anyone can do a "Who is" look up online and work back to get the address the domain is registered to. Now try that with virtually any sites like Facebook. Even the police have difficulty getting such info out of such sites when a crime has actually been committed, so how will you fare with no actual crime, but are just trying to protect your tens of thousands of pounds of boat. Such sites do not have an impeccable record of taking down scammers.

It was not just the lack of website, it was also using an address for a totally different business with no indication it is an accommodation address. As it stood earlier, I think it had all the hallmarks of a possible scam. If that is the impression the OP wants to give then fair enough, but I don't think it is and a little more work would largely remove that impression.

2 minutes ago, C W Boatmover said:

Thanks all for your advice and wisdom 😊 

As I live onboard my own Narrowboat with my young family and Mrs, using the Post Office was the best way to collect my mail as I don’t have any family (or many friends 👀) in that area. 

I take the information I’ve received and will work something out, I gather the address seems an issue for a lot of you. 

I will look to get that address changed, but as I’m sure you’ll appreciate when applying for Trade Plates it was deemed acceptable by the CRT

Thanks all 😊 

It’s not a scam, I was just checking to see if this is the place for it to join in with the community and from what I’ve seen, perhaps not! 😂 

I accept the fact I made a mistake by posting an Ad in the first place… not again. 

Take care folk 👋🏻 

Illegitimi non carborundum... 😉

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, MIKE P said:

Did you have permission to post this advert about CW Boatmover

I reported the original post in order that a mod could see it and agree that it could stay. The OP admitted he wasn't sure how to get permission. By virtue of the fact that it was still up for some time after that I assumed the mods were happy for it to remain.

I therefore didn't feel the need to seek permission particularly as it wasn't for my business but rather someone else. I have regularly linked to other business on here that are not mine.

HTH.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And now divi numbers have been back for some years - the difference being its all stored on a chip on a plastic 'divi credit card'.

My number being 663xxx  (x being a hidden digit, because I dont want any one stealing my divi)

My mother's Co-op membership number is so deeply ingrained in my mind (I was often sent along to get items) that I have used it as a PIN on many sites. Being a small Co-op it was only 4 digits.  What I do remember was that one year the divi was 2/6 (two shillings and sixpence for younger readers) in the pound.  That's 12 and a half percent!  Well worth having.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, C W Boatmover said:

Thanks all for your advice and wisdom 😊 

As I live onboard my own Narrowboat with my young family and Mrs, using the Post Office was the best way to collect my mail as I don’t have any family (or many friends 👀) in that area. 

I take the information I’ve received and will work something out, I gather the address seems an issue for a lot of you. 

I will look to get that address changed, but as I’m sure you’ll appreciate when applying for Trade Plates it was deemed acceptable by the CRT

Thanks all 😊 

It’s not a scam, I was just checking to see if this is the place for it to join in with the community and from what I’ve seen, perhaps not! 😂 

I accept the fact I made a mistake by posting an Ad in the first place… not again. 

Take care folk 👋🏻 

Not sure why the address is so important TBH. The boat mover that moved my boat in 2015 lived on a boat (and as far as I know he didn't and still  doesn't have an 'onshore' address). As everything was done by either phone or email I had no need to contact him via. snail mail.

It never occurred to me to ask what, if any shore based address he might have.