jh taylor wooden river cruser built to narroboat specs

lindyhelen

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, lindyhelen said:

am i a rare boat am i worth any thing

A rare boat, yes, and a very nice one, if that is your thing.

Worth anything? It is worth exactly what you can get someone to pay for it.  What that might be depends on current condition, previous history and previous owners, the price of cod in Grimsby next Bank Holiday Tuesday and the appetite for risk of a potential buyer.

N

Oh my goodness, that's a lovely boat. I remember it joining Mr Smout's hire fleet when it was new. There's another one, called Barbara Joan at the time, and they were both just the nicest boat you could ask for. They stood up to being hire boats surprisingly well, except that the solid folding cockpit covers looked as if they would fit under a bridge but eventually wouldn't. I was lucky enough to move them between hire bases a few times and they were just the best boat I could imagine.

• Happy 1

Yes, quite rare. I guess less than 20 survive. Have you seen this webpage?:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100618130609/http://jhtaylorboats.com/JHTaylorboats/home.html

@Joseph may know more.

As to value, it rather depends on condition. Unfortunately there are few people these days who have the enthusiasm and money to keep these fine cruisers in good condition, and a full restoration will probably cost several times the value of the completed article. Because there are few people interested in such boats, their values are low. My guess is that even if it is in excellent condition, you would struggle to get anyone to pay more than £10k for it. If it needs work, you may struggle to even give it away.

Another webpage about Lindy Helen: http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.com/2010/02/lindy-helen-1971.html?m=1

I see that you have copied the photos from 2014- I hope she is still in as good condition now.

If you are planning to sell her, probably some of the people who would be interested would be on the Thames and the use of an agency such as this one might be the way forward: https://35.176.245.231/services/classic-boat-sales/

Edited by John Brightley
Extra link added

I think there was one of these boats for sale on either e bay or Facebook recently  Nottingham area if I remember correctly.

It was a much darker colour than yours and was owned by a lady.

I looked at the ad several times but thinking of the practicalities of me trying to maintain a wooden boat, I thought no.

Apart from the fact that my local canals are the HNC, Hudd Broad, Calder and Hebble and Rochdale, I think I would soon have it wrecked cruising these waterways.

I would not want a wood boat but it is a nice item. 

As previously mentioned it could be worth getting in touch with someone on the Thames about it. 

Stanley and Thomas 

https://www.stanleyandthomas.co.uk/

(Formerly known as Tom Jones boatyard - it's not unusual !)

Hambleden sales and charter 

https://hscboats.co.uk/

It seems to be an interesting boat but these can turn into firewood very quickly without treatment. 

There are various ways to deal with these but one of the most well known is by injecting a long standing, famous and respected proprietary wooden boat preserving substance. .

There are lots of reviews on this and most of them are favourable.  

Cash. 

Lots of it. Good luck with the boat innit. 

Edited by magnetman
Edit to remove unacceptable slur

Hi John

I'm sorry to say that link to jhtaylor boats doesn't work...unless I am doing something wrong! 

I think that there were only 13 "Taylor" pleasure boats as such. I have researched the history of Amaryllis, which is the Waterways Museum, but the history of the others (I think all but Jenny Wren are still extant) would be very interesting. 

Joseph 

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I think there was one of these boats for sale on either e bay or Facebook recently  Nottingham area if I remember correctly.

It was a much darker colour than yours and was owned by a lady.

I looked at the ad several times but thinking of the practicalities of me trying to maintain a wooden boat, I thought no.

Apart from the fact that my local canals are the HNC, Hudd Broad, Calder and Hebble and Rochdale, I think I would soon have it wrecked cruising these waterways.

I would have thought they would be good on these canals being shallow draft so less chance of rubbish on the prop? 

Not sure if they would fit  through Standedge tunnel though?

it’s a lovely boat 

We had a 20 foot forward cockpit Taylor boat in the early 1970's. Fitted with a four horsepower Stuart Turner a good headwind had a definite effect on the speed. It did however swim beautifully and was remarkably cheap to run. When the prop. dropped off after leaving Trent Lock we sailed up stream to Sawley using a large bathtowel as a sail which indicated how little power was needed to move her.  When we bought it the boat's name was Gemini although I think as a hire boat it may have been called Valerie. There is a photograph somewhere on the net of what may have been this boat leaving Great Haywood lock. I would be interested and grateful for any information anyone has about her.