Thoughts on these two boats

madder do ee

Featured Posts

Hi, everyone. This forum has been invaluable over the past few weeks and has provided much insight into buying and living on a narrow boat. Comments and views on these two boats would be helpful.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=690227
I originally dismissed this one due to the length. I was focused on 57ft. spending time reading more; I am now open to buying something bigger to live on.
I really like the Mike Heywood boats. But this is just from photos, and I do really need to go and see a boat!

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=720647
Significantly smaller, but hopefully, with lower maintenance costs, looks maintained.

When you are new to this, there are so many variables it's hard to focus on what will be the right boat, but this place really is helpful.

Personally, of the two, I would go for the Colecraft, a well established company with a reliable reputation for well built boats. Mike Heywood boats have attractive lines, but if you go for one, make sure you get a full hull survey done by an experienced surveyor.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, madder do ee said:

Thanks that's helpful Liverpool boats and Colecrft keep coming up in my shortlists 

Two different companies altogether. 

Personally I would go for the smaller boat as I would think that a seventy footer is too long unless you have children. The smaller boat looks well maintained.

There must be other boats available, what is your search criteria? 

Quick sale wanted indicates price flexibility but no survey wanted. This is a bit risky.

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Personally I would go for the smaller boat as I would think that a seventy footer is too long unless you have children. The smaller boat looks well maintained.

Quick sale wanted indicates price flexibility but no survey wanted. This is a bit risky.

Interesting you say looks well maintained, the first shows a very clean neat engine area and painted bilge, tidy battery installation the other shows nothing

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

defiantly I was put off by the no survey wanted

Search criteria, solo live onboard 50ft + budget 60k Hertfordshire, Northampton

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interesting you say looks well maintained, the first shows a very clean neat engine area and painted bilge, tidy battery installation the other shows nothing

The description indicates money has been spent on it , presumably by current owner. Paint looks fresh and professional,the cratch cover is pretty ugly but practical for a liveaboard, the pram hood looks smart enough. Again extra dry space for stuff. 

It's set up for off grid living.

New engine !!! Most people would take the opportunity to clean and paint the bilge if it was rusty.

You have to be aware that amateur photos can downgrade a a boat and vice versa. Essentially I think the smaller boat is less risky option. 

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The description indicates money has been spent on it , presumably by current owner. Paint looks fresh and professional,the cratch cover is pretty ugly but practical for a liveaboard, the pram hood looks smart enough. Again extra dry space for stuff. 

You have to be aware that amateur photos can downgrade a a boat and vice versa. Essentially I think the smaller boat is less risky option. 

Edited by LadyG

They both look like decently maintained boats from good builders at normal for today's market prices, especially if you like lots of dark wood! Newish engines are a bonus

There's quite a size difference between 50' and 70' although you won't really know that until you've been (possibly lived!) on board, and the Colecraft one looks designed to make the most of its smaller smace.

10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

They both look like decently maintained boats from good builders at normal for today's market prices, especially if you like lots of dark wood! Newish engines are a bonus

There's quite a size difference between 50' and 70' although you won't really know that until you've been (possibly lived!) on board, and the Colecraft one looks designed to make the most of its smaller 

Deleted

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Personally, of the two, I would go for the Colecraft, a well established company with a reliable reputation for well built boats. Mike Heywood boats have attractive lines, but if you go for one, make sure you get a full hull survey done by an experienced surveyor.

Mike Heyward boats have a good reputation too. 

Looking the the listings the Colecraft has as much appeal, style and personality about it as an old dustbin I thought. The Heywood boat looks much nicer to live on, especially with the generous length. I lived on my 68ft boat very comfortably but if I ever move onto my 57 footer, it will be a squeeze in comparison. I'd definitely buy the Heywood boat if it had to be one or the other. 

P.S. I wouldn't buy a Liverpool Boat though, not EVER. The Trabants of the world of narrow boats, built down to a price with every expense spared

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, MtB said:

P.S. I wouldn't buy a Liverpool Boat though, not EVER. The Trabants of the world of narrow boats, built down to a price with every expense spared

C'mon, thats not really a fair comparison, you'll end up being sued by the Trabant makers.

A better comparison would be ...........................................

DesignerTag Tut Clown Car

• Haha 1

I think Smith's Lady spent a while not being used in the relatively recent past (pre 2022). I believe the quick sale request to be genuine having met the owner (assuming it hasn't changed hands since late 2021, though that is a while ago I now realise!). I saw a good deal of work being done to overhaul the engine bay, so it had a significant effort/money spent on it back then at least.

Edited by Ewan123

On 04/02/2023 at 21:34, madder do ee said:

defiantly I was put off by the no survey wanted

Search criteria, solo live onboard 50ft + budget 60k Hertfordshire, Northampton

I know of a boat coming up in late May near Northampton after blacking and survey (survey needed for insurance as its 30 years old) that might be within your budget, valuation is on Friday.

1993 60ft trad, hull by Malcolm Pearson Boats, fit out by Phoenix Narrowboats. Beta 50, 450wats of solar, new AGM batteries,  Victron Inverter/charger, professionally repainted 2020, eberspacher with external control, washing machine, solid fuel stove, BSS TO 2026. Needs absolutely no work doing to it and its been maintained regardless of cost by the present owner over the last 11 years ;)

Edited by Loddon

On 05/02/2023 at 00:11, MtB said:

Mike Heyward boats have a good reputation too. 

Looking the the listings the Colecraft has as much appeal, style and personality about it as an old dustbin I thought. The Heywood boat looks much nicer to live on, especially with the generous length. I lived on my 68ft boat very comfortably but if I ever move onto my 57 footer, it will be a squeeze in comparison. I'd definitely buy the Heywood boat if it had to be one or the other. 

With regard the length of the boat, as Mike says, go for the longer one. Having lived for years on boats of several lengths, the 65, 68 and 70 footers we lived on were hugely nicer than the 57 footer. The 65 amd 68 were both colecraft as it happens.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

With regard the length of the boat, as Mike says, go for the longer one. Having lived for years on boats of several lengths, the 65, 68 and 70 footers we lived on were hugely nicer than the 57 footer. The 65 amd 68 were both colecraft as it happens.

Your longer boats were for two people, experienced boaters. OP does not mention a family, or any experience and consequential expectations He may not even be aware that the longer boats may not fit the shorter locks. I have a fifty seven footer, which is mentioned as a "go anywhere" boat, but at one lock, on the Trent I think, two fifty seven footers would not fit.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Your longer boats were for two people, experienced boaters. OP does not mention a family, or any experience and consequential expectations He may not even be aware that the longer boats may not fit the shorter locks. I have a fifty seven footer, which is mentioned as a "go anywhere" boat, but at one lock, on the Trent I think, two fifty seven footers would not fit.

Also the case in a few other places like Salterhebble. A single 60' boat will go almost everywhere but care is needed (and fitting in diagonally, maybe lifting fenders, possibly getting damp) in short wide locks like these -- whether the extra 3' is worth the (occasional) hassle is a matter for each boater to decide... 😉

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a fifty seven footer, which is mentioned as a "go anywhere" boat, but at one lock, on the Trent I think, two fifty seven footers would not fit.

I can't think of anywhere where lock length would be a problem for 2 57 footers. But there are a few locks on the Rochdale which are too narrow for two narrow boats side by side, whatever their length.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I can't think of anywhere where lock length would be a problem for 2 57 footers. But there are a few locks on the Rochdale which are too narrow for two narrow boats side by side, whatever their length.

Yes, that is due to subsidence. They were designed for broad barges, not sure if they would fit nowadays.

The locks are a decent length, but I'm developing Desperate Dan biceps opening the paddles. :)

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

Two x57 footers most definitely don’t fit in at the same time into Salterhebble locks David, one at a time please, and they fit fine, crossways!

I suspect it’s the case on some of the Huddersfield Broad too, as well as others on the C&H but haven’t tried them.

On 06/02/2023 at 13:52, David Mack said:

There are a handful of the uneven ones where boat length is relevant to whether you can pair through the locks because of which part of the lock has narrowed. Saw a pair of ex-working boats going through Beeston Iron Lock, and having apparently done it many times before they were very confident there was no problem as the subsidence bit was all at one end. Didn't feel inclined to try myself though

On 06/02/2023 at 23:11, Stroudwater1 said:

Two x57 footers most definitely don’t fit in at the same time into Salterhebble locks David, one at a time please, and they fit fine, crossways!

I suspect it’s the case on some of the Huddersfield Broad too, as well as others on the C&H but haven’t tried them.

Huddersfield Broad going down was a right pain getting the doors open with a 57' boat so I certainly wouldn't want company! shared others on the C&H without incident, but being parallel to another boat certainly reduces your wiggle room for avoiding those overhanging platforms