BSS

Moke

Featured Posts

I’m pretty happy wandering around in the dark at night, once your eyes get adjusted it’s pretty easy. My other half!……head torch, hand torch, all LED and instant blindness, I have to walk about 50 yards behind her or 50 yards in front at night. 

• 9 months later...
On 04/02/2023 at 17:23, Moke said:

A thought struck me this afternoon, so I thought I’d ask for advice here.  I’m not entirely sure what a BSS examination is for, that is, what do they check?  If I had an unpowered butty with no electrics (save a bilge pump) and no gas, water, anything really. Just an empty shell for carrying stuff  would it need a BSS ?

No. Compete a self declaration of exemption. 

On 04/02/2023 at 17:23, Moke said:

A thought struck me this afternoon, so I thought I’d ask for advice here.  I’m not entirely sure what a BSS examination is for, that is, what do they check?  If I had an unpowered butty with no electrics (save a bilge pump) and no gas, water, anything really. Just an empty shell for carrying stuff  would it need a BSS ?

Hi. I am a BSS Examiner. From what you have stated I advise you to go to your licensing website and do a self declaration of exemption. Not all boats need a BSS. Yours sounds like it is exempt.

50 minutes ago, BSS 614 said:

Hi. I am a BSS Examiner. From what you have stated I advise you to go to your licensing website and do a self declaration of exemption. Not all boats need a BSS. Yours sounds like it is exempt.

I'm guessing that in the 9 months since he asked the question he has 'sorted it'.

51 minutes ago, BSS 614 said:

No. Compete a self declaration of exemption. 

Welcome aboard, I fear you will be answering many questions here. Nice to have an expert on the forum.

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if an electric bilge pump in a cabined boat is enough for it to have an electrical system for BS purposes. 

For a craft to be exempt from holding a valid BSS Certificate it must meet the following criteria:

• No permanently installed engine or motor, therefore must be propelled by an outboard only
  • No appliances installed for cooking, lighting, heating or refridgeration
  • Open boats only, therefore no small sleeping cabins

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

For a craft to be exempt from holding a valid BSS Certificate it must meet the following criteria:

• No permanently installed engine or motor, therefore must be propelled by an outboard only
  • No appliances installed for cooking, lighting, heating or refridgeration
  • Open boats only, therefore no small sleeping cabins

So a butty with a cabin is not exempt, contrary to what was said earlier?

• Greenie 2

Cabin boat with no fuel system, gas, electrical system or toilet/tank discharge does not need a BSS (falls into category 2) but to have an electric bilge pump surely it would need an electrical system of some sort. With no way of charging it I think I'd prefer a manual bilge pump anyway. 

CaRT's BSS page is at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licence-your-boat/boat-safety-scheme and the exemption application form currently linked to from it is at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/document/eRDSmlc1jT6PuOQWYBjfyQ/YT6vnDSZTTfmuEJcVC0G4vm-fiopCgQWKkOi-UL2OJM/aHR0cHM6Ly9jcnRwcm9kY21zdWtzMDEuYmxvYi5jb3JlLndpbmRvd3MubmV0L2RvY3VtZW50Lw/0189917c-dd96-73a4-b0b3-4a7c1fa28d8e.pdf

Older versions of the exemption declaration are still online and accessible which adds to the confusion. You were in the past able to get an exemption for an outboard powered cabin boat if it had no gas or electrics or discharge. That's now not the case as the combination of the cabin and outboard is now enough to require a BSS pass. iirc this change happened about five years ago.

All of the above only refers to CaRT's requirements for boats needing a BSS as were talking about a butty. Your waterway authority and type of boat may have different requirements. On the tidal river a BSS isn't required at our club for any boat.

Edited by BilgePump
added final sentences