BSS

Moke

Featured Posts

A thought struck me this afternoon, so I thought I’d ask for advice here.  I’m not entirely sure what a BSS examination is for, that is, what do they check?  If I had an unpowered butty with no electrics (save a bilge pump) and no gas, water, anything really. Just an empty shell for carrying stuff  would it need a BSS ?

1 minute ago, Moke said:

A thought struck me this afternoon, so I thought I’d ask for advice here.  I’m not entirely sure what a BSS examination is for, that is, what do they check?  If I had an unpowered butty with no electrics (save a bilge pump) and no gas, water, anything really. Just an empty shell for carrying stuff  would it need a BSS ?

If it has an enclosed cabin - yes.

Here is the check list :

Sorry cxannot post it - it is too large for the forum.

If you check on the BSS website everything is listed there.

This is what it looks like :

Screenshot (1887).png

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it has an enclosed cabin - yes.

Here is the check list :

Sorry cxannot post it - it is too large for the forum.

If you check on the BSS website everything is listed there.

This is what it looks like :

Screenshot (1887).png

If it is as described by OP, what could it actually fail on?

From the BSS website ;

Does this help :

On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine. Please ask the navigation or harbour authority that will be licensing or registering your boat, as it sets the terms and conditions of that registration.

The rules are likely to be different if the boat is in commercial, community or other public use, or is a workboat. Ask the navigation or harbour authority for more detail about the operating terms and conditions including BSS Certification.

If you are 'carrying stuff' then are you commercial ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If the boat has a cabin but no services you get the BSS man to come and he ticks the boxes saying things like "gas system not present" etc. It won't be all that difficult to pass the inspection. You give him the money (it may be less than a normal BS ticket on account of fewer tests) he uploads the data to the server and you are then authorised to buy a license provided you have insurance for the boat. 

It is a nuisance but not all that arduous. Inland boat ownership is a terrible thing but worse things happen at sea. 

ETA there is another approach which is to bullshit that the boat is exempt from the BS scheme. This has been tried and I believe provided one is not too vacuous about it there is a chance of it working. 

Push it too hard and after a while you lose the boat 

1 hour ago, Moke said:

I thought red and green were needed on any boat 

You have a lot to learn grasshopper :

Canal & River Laws on lighting :

Displaying of Lights and Visual Signals

10. (1) Subject as hereinafter provided, a power-driven vessel (other than a narrow canal boat) when under way at night shall carry –

(a) On or in front of the foremast, or if a vessel without a foremast then in the forepart of the vessel, and in either case at a height above the hull of not less than four feet, a visible white light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of twenty points on the compass (225°) so fixed as to show the light ten points (112½°) on each side of the vessel that is, from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on either side; and

(b) in addition to the above light, at her stern a visible white light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of twelve points of the compass (135°) so fixed as to show the light six points (67½°) from right astern on each side of the vessel.

(2) A power-driven vessel, being a narrow canal boat, under way at night shall display in the forepart of the vessel, where it can best be seen and at a height above the deck or gunwhale or not less than one foot, a visible white light.

(3) A power-driven vessel (other than a narrow canal boat) when towing another vessel at night shall display:-

(a) Two visible white lights in a vertical line one over the other, not less than three feet apart. Each of these lights shall be of the same construction and character as the visible white light prescribed in paragraph (1) (a) of this Bye-law and one of them shall be carried in the same position as that light; and

(b) at the stern a visible white light of the same construction and character as that prescribed in paragraph (1)(b) of this Bye-law.

(4) A vessel (other than a narrow canal boat and other than a compartment boat on the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal, or the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation) being towed at night shall display at her stern a visble white light similar in all respects to that prescribed in paragraph (1)(b) of this Bye-law and, if more than one vessel is being towed, a similar white light shall be displayed at the stern of each vessel of the tow.

(5) On the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (below Doncaster) a power-driven vessel shall in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) as the case may be of this Bye-law display:-

(a) On the starboard side a visible green light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points of the compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the starboard side.

(b) On the port side a visible red light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points of the compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the port side.

(6) On the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation:-

(a)(i) Where a composite craft consists of a compartment tug towing a train of compartment boats there shall be carried on the said tug three visible white lights in a vertical line one over the other not less than one foot apart, each of such lights being of the same construction and character as the visible white light prescribed in paragraph (1)(a) of this Bye-law and one of them being carried in the position therein prescribed. (ii) Every other composite craft shall carry in the forward part of the leading vessel two visible white lights of the said construction and character placed horizontally athwartships not less than two feet above the deck and not less than two feet apart.

(b) The power-driven vessel of every composite craft shall carry on the starboard side a visible green light and on the port side a visible red light of the same construction and character as those prescribed in paragraphs (5)(a) and (5)(b) of this Bye-law. (c) The last vessel of every composite craft shall carry at the stern a visible white light similar in every respect to the white light prescribed in paragraph (1)(b) of this Bye-law.

(7) On the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation every vessel employed to mark the position of a wreck or of any other obstruction shall exhibit where the same may best be seen, by day a green flag and by night two visible green lights, placed horizontally not less than six feet or more than twelve feet apart, of such a character as to be capable of being seen from all directions.

(8) On the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation every vessel aground in the fairway or mid-channel and every vessel moored at any place (including vessels comprised in a composite craft) shall by night display a visible white light of such a character as to be capable of being seen from all directions.

(9) Any vessel passing by day or by night through a tunnel exceeding four hundred and forty yards in length shall display in the forepart of the vessel a visible white light. (10) A vessel while actually engaged on work of dredging, piling, diving, or other works of repair or construction on any canal shall display –

(a) by day, at right angles to the keel, and in a position visible to vessels approaching from any direction, on that side of the vessel on which work is proceeding or on which obstructions may be present and on which vessels must not pass, a red metal square of cruciform construction (a side of which measures not less than eighteen inches) and on that side of the vessel which is clear of obstruction and on which vessels may pass a white square similar in construction and size to the said red square and

(b) by night, on the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and Calder Navigation the New Junction Canal and Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation, three visible lights of such a character as to be capable of being seen from all directions of which two shall be white and one shall be red placed not less than six feet apart in the form of an equilateral triangle with its base athwartships and its apex uppermost. The uppermost of the said lights shall be white and the said red light shall be placed at the end of the base of the said triangle which is nearer to the side of the vessel on which work is proceeding or on which obstructions may be present and on which vessels must not pass

They should have put in there DO NOT USE LED LIGHT BARS FOR THIS. 

Although it is not a requirement it is much better to just have green and red and some cabin lights on when going on canals in the dark. If you have the single white forward facing light it causes problems because a lot of people think this means the tunnel light. 

It does not mean the tunnel light. The clue is in the name. "Tunnel light" is for when going through tunnels. 

A white light exhibited in such a way as to show the presence of the boat to others coming in the opposite direction is a completely different kettle of fish. 

LED tunnel lights arrr irritatingly awkward to deal with unless you have a paintball gun. 

Another approach is to just ram the craft and apologise afterwards in a non apologetic tone. 

Ancient Rule of the Road (aka COLREGS)  aphorisms:

Green to green and red to red, perfect safety, go ahead

If two lights you see ahead, turn to starboard, show your red.

The naval version:

If two lights you see in front,  Full Ahead and ram the c...

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

N

• Greenie 1

There is night and there is night. The amount of light varies hugely. If you are near, or in a town, or city, then street lights bouncing back off low cloud make it easy to see. Similarly, clear skies and more than a sliver of moon above the horizon, you don't need any additional lighting to get around. Overcast out in the sticks, under trees, or with the moon set, or barely lit by the sun, then it can be very dark indeed. I've done a bit of night boating and go on an overnight walk at least once in the summer, if I can. Pick the night and weather conditions to give good lighting and a torch is hardly needed.

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is night and there is night. The amount of light varies hugely. If you are near, or in a town, or city, then street lights bouncing back off low cloud make it easy to see. Similarly, clear skies and more than a sliver of moon above the horizon, you don't need any additional lighting to get around. Overcast out in the sticks, under trees, or with the moon set, or barely lit by the sun, then it can be very dark indeed. I've done a bit of night boating and go on an overnight walk at least once in the summer, if I can. Pick the night and weather conditions to give good lighting and a torch is hardly needed.

People who are use to a light on all the time ,multi million candle power torches just don't realise how well you can see once the lights have been off for half an hour. I use to spend a lot of time out on the marshes early morning and at night, it was ok till you met someone waving a torch about and that was before the leds were about. I must admit to once walking straight into a dyke.