Quietest water pump available?

Poppin

Featured Posts

Are there any 12v water pumps available that are significantly quieter than the typical Jabsco pumps? On the new build I will be doing all the usual noise-reducing (flexible hoses, rubber feet on top of another platform, acoustic foam-lined box).

But I just wondered if there is a brand or type of pump that is just generally quieter? I have heard Marco variable speed are good but high-pitched when tap fully open. I also know Jabsco do a belt-driven pump, but they are almost £1k!

Any advice most appreciated!

38 minutes ago, Poppin said:

Are there any 12v water pumps available that are significantly quieter than the typical Jabsco pumps? On the new build I will be doing all the usual noise-reducing (flexible hoses, rubber feet on top of another platform, acoustic foam-lined box).

But I just wondered if there is a brand or type of pump that is just generally quieter? I have heard Marco variable speed are good but high-pitched when tap fully open. I also know Jabsco do a belt-driven pump, but they are almost £1k!

Any advice most appreciated!

A broken one is quiet 😱On my second one in 5 years.

No idea why this question has been asked unless the pump runs during the night. The way to stop that is either to turn it off (switch in galley and Toilet) or fit a decent sized accumulator.  Anyway, as Rusty says, it s good to know when it is and is not running.

Apart from the noise it is worth mounting the water pump(s) above the level of the top of the tank. This way if you get a leak it results in air in the pump rather than water in the boat. 

Not diifficult to achieve on a new build with water tank under the front deck which is the normal arrangement for canal boats. 

On my little nuclear fallout shelter boat all 3 fresh water pumps are above the tanks. I suppose 5 separate water tanks on a 30ft boat is a bit unusual but I did like the idea of putting the pumps up high. Bloke who made boat obviously had his thinking cap on. 

Having had several other boats with pumps below top of tank I know how annoying it gets when they leak. 

Edited by magnetman

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Apart from the noise it is worth mounting the water pump(s) above the level of the top of the tank. This way if you get a leak it results in air in the pump rather than water in the boat. 

Not diifficult to achieve on a new build. 

On my little nuclear fallout shelter boat all 3 fresh water pumps are above the tanks. I suppose 5 separate water tanks on a 30ft boat is a bit unusual but I did like the idea of putting the pumps up high. Bloke who made boat obviously had his thinking cap on. 

Having had several other boats with pumps below top of tank I know how annoying it gets when they leak. 

Do you have trouble priming them above the tank?

No problem at all. basic shurflo pumps and water is already in the pump. If the tanks are run dry there is a gate valve with hose fitting above the pumps if problems occur. 

The pump on the daily use water tank seems fine even when that little tank runs out. Not had a problem with it in 2 and a half years living on the boat. It is only about a foot or two above the top of the tank. Seems happy enough. 

The other ones are further up but still no problems. 

It's worth doing. 

I think if you completely dried out the pump it might be an issue but that would mean you had a leak somewhere in the system between pump and taps. If not then water would remain in the pump. 

Or a leak in the pump body of course. 

It just seems wise because those pumps are pretty low quality and prone to leakage and it is a whole lot more satisfactory to get air in your taps than to get water on your floor or in the bilges. 

Our water pump when running is like that bit in a Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan film when he uses the famous call, think elephants scarpering in alarm, birds rising screeching from the jungle canopy, chimps screaming and jumping about in terror, that sort of thing. Its just mounted to the side of the cabinet under the sink so vibrates everything on the boat when in use. A job for the summer i reckon.

45 minutes ago, magnetman said:

No problem at all. basic shurflo pumps and water is already in the pump. If the tanks are run dry there is a gate valve with hose fitting above the pumps if problems occur. 

The pump on the daily use water tank seems fine even when that little tank runs out. Not had a problem with it in 2 and a half years living on the boat. It is only about a foot or two above the top of the tank. Seems happy enough. 

The other ones are further up but still no problems. 

It's worth doing. 

I think if you completely dried out the pump it might be an issue but that would mean you had a leak somewhere in the system between pump and taps. If not then water would remain in the pump. 

Or a leak in the pump body of course. 

It just seems wise because those pumps are pretty low quality and prone to leakage and it is a whole lot more satisfactory to get air in your taps than to get water on your floor or in the bilges. 

I got fed up with water in the bilge years ago. Our pump is mounted over a tupperware container now.

Interestingly, the pump on the sail boat is incredibly hard to prime after its been drained over winter. I find the best way of doing it is waiting for the tide to go out. More often than not, the boat is pointing bow down, and the pump being at the pointy end primes much easier than when the boat sits upright.

I suppose it could be a problem with boats which are left unused for a long time.

Tupperware is cool. Or did you mean it in a generic sense ? I like Melaware a lot too. Great boat gear to use when it would be too risky to get the Flora Danica out of the cupboard. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Unless the leak is between the tank and the pump of course. But I take your point - pumps are prone to leaking whereas pipework and joints aren't.

After my first pump on this boat leaked I learned my lesson and fitted the new pump inside a rectangular plastic washing up bowl with a 9v battery operated water level alarm, with the sensor in the bottom of the bowl.

When I'm out the water pump is always switched off.

Edited by blackrose

Going back to the topic; along with all the other tangible experiences, the sound of the water pump is all part of the experience of being on a boat. Why anyone would want to eliminate that sound I don't understand? It's not a house. What are you going to do about the sound of river or canal water slapping against the side of the boat when it's windy outside? You obviously don't want the water pump going off in the middle of the night and waking you up so just switch it off at night. Also, as others have said, the sound of the water pump going off for no reason is useful as an early warning of a leak so anyone who knows about boats wouldn't want a silent pump 

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

What are you going to do about the sound of river or canal water slapping against the side of the boat when it's windy outside?

The fish-farts bubbling under the bottom of the boat.

The ducks pecking the green stuff of the boat waterline

The seagulls doing a war dance on the roof (looking for crumbs and titbits)

The creaking of the mooring lines

The squealing of the fenders being crushed and rolled on the Wall / Armco.

The rattling of the goat chains

Boats are noisy you either get used to it or go back to your quiet bricks & mortar.

It can be a problem if you work nights, but others in the boat are up and around whilst you're trying to sleep!

I disagree that boats are generally noisy though. I find it much quieter on the boat than any house that I've slept in. The general noise on a boat, the gentle movement as boats pass, water lapping etc is very comforting and relaxing, the sudden noise of a water pump cutting in under the bed isn't!

• Greenie 1

I have found that the little rubber feet on pumps like Shurflo don't really deaden the sound. One way which did work on one of the boats was to not screw the pump to anything but cable tie it to a piece of that yellow scaffolding pipe foam cut open. Then just rest it on the surface wherever you are installing it. 

Seems odd but it stops the noise being transmitted to the hard surfaces. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I have found that the little rubber feet on pumps like Shurflo don't really deaden the sound. One way which did work on one of the boats was to not screw the pump to anything but cable tie it to a piece of that yellow scaffolding pipe foam cut open. Then just rest it on the surface wherever you are installing it. 

Seems odd but it stops the noise being transmitted to the hard surfaces. 

I had a few Shurflos before I knew enough to try something else.

They mostly were not working long enough for the noise to bother me.

21 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Our water pump when running is like that bit in a Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan film when he uses the famous call, think elephants scarpering in alarm, birds rising screeching from the jungle canopy, chimps screaming and jumping about in terror, that sort of thing. Its just mounted to the side of the cabinet under the sink so vibrates everything on the boat when in use. A job for the summer i reckon.

Could come in handy for when the horn fails... :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Could come in handy for when the horn fails... :)

“Blind bridge coming up love, run the tap” :D 

Its more the fact we have a lazy teen who enjoys a lie-in (when we can actually force her to the boat) and she gets proper grumpy when we do our ablutions/fill a kettle before 7am and the running pump near vibrates her off the bed ;) 

It doesnt need to be silent, just needs to stop registering on the Richter scale and causing widespread panic in Japan.

Couple of years until we can leave her longer than a weekend i reckon, a girl can only survive so many days on noodles, pasta and omelettes. 

• Haha 1