Things you've dropped in the cut...

Featured Posts

Nighwatch's thread got me thinking about things we've dropped in the cut over our time as boaters.

So just for a bit of fun - My list includes.....

A set of four IKEA metal egg cups...brand new in box.

At least three windlasses....

A tube of 'no nails'

A tiller extension...

2 dogs (well not actually  dropped but they were on a lead at the time).

Myself - (with an iPhone in my pocket).

Your list?

Brand new straight out of the box Samsung S20. Luckily waterproof so no harm done when retrieved from the Fossditch.

Full collectors set of vintage Coca Cola glasses and jug. If anyone wants them they were last seen in Newark on the moorings opposite the castle.

The other half. Several times.

Shark bottle opener which it turns out can't swim. Retrieved by the other half from the bottom of the Fossditch. 

Multiple baseball caps. Some retrieved, others gone, never to be seen again.

An engraved Zippo, a leaving gift from one of my teaching jobs.

A "Buckby" can, went overboard by Sov Wharf in Banbury. It floated around and a passing boater offered to retrieve it with a pole but, being cack-handed, he succeeded in sinking it instead. He meant well, so I couldn't be cross. Not really.

One windlass, but we've found at least three on our travels so we're in the lead.

Me. Through the ice, on Xmas day in 1986, after a lunchtime pub session at Cosgrove. Didn't spill a drop, all they could see was an arm holding a tankard sticking up through the hole in the ice. Legendary... 😉

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

So my claim to dumbness, arrived at Marina late at night, desperate to get everything out of car into boat and sorted, bags on each arm, carrying two sets of keys, then numbnuts tries to underdo catch zip, without putting any thing down,  how's that ever going to work and it didn't, both sets of keys,  found their way through the decking and into cold and darkness, as they do, eventually saved by magnet fishing. I now have a lanyard!!!!! 

• Greenie 1

One of those cheapy extending boathooks. Passed a branch floating up the top end of the T&M, thought id be a good citizen and hook it out, underestimated the weight of what couldn't be seen, ended up with branch in hand and boathook in water :( 

Luckily it floated but was starting to slowly sink, once id managed to chuck the branch in the offside vegetation and reverse back to it i just managed to grab hold before it vanished to the depths. No good deed goes unpunished.

The better half lost a walkie talkie at Maestermyn, and nearly one of her crocs after standing in an anthill whilst mooring up near Braunston. She forgot they were in leisure mode, and whilst trying to frantically shake the ants off her foot, launched the croc into the beyond :D i retrieved it with the pole whilst trying not to laugh so much i’d fall in.

• Greenie 1

I had an unbreakable phone - the adverts showed it being run over, put in water and frozen (then rung and it worked!), it was like the terminator, nothing could kill it. The only thing it didn't do was float. I know roughly where it is..........................

Dunton double windlass, middle lock at Calcutt.

File in the marina.

Dog in the Ashby, it was the middle of the night and I didn't realise the bow had drifted from the bank.

Phone at Sowerby Bridge Basin.

Me, in the Rochdale.

Wife, all by herself at Braunston.

Mooring pin at Shenstone.

A few screws here and there. 

A Nicholsons Guide.

A vacuum cleaner in the marina. It was plugged in and blew the pontoon's trip.

An umbrella, which blew off the roof at Milton Keynes.

Edited by Ray T

4 minutes ago, Ray T said:

A Nicholsons Guide.

That reminds me, my carefully printed and laminated Waterway Routes guide to the Ashby, in the Ashby :D 

Flicked it off the roof with the centreline whilst coming in to moor, sank without trace.

I'd just been told to move it in case the wind had it, of course i knew better, cue several helpings of "i told you so". :(