Grand Union - Winding Holes

Alan Wheeler

Featured Posts

Or on a lock landing with their table and chairs out sipping their champagne from champagne flutes whilst having their lunch as I witnessed on the Napton flight.  Problem was the guy didn't see the issue even though there were several boats hovering in the channel.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Or on a lock landing with their table and chairs out sipping their champagne from champagne flutes whilst having their lunch as I witnessed on the Napton flight.  Problem was the guy didn't see the issue even though there were several boats hovering in the channel.

I don't see an issue with that either.  Clumsily breast up to them, step across their boat - preferably by way of a muddy puddle on the way back - work the lock and carry on.

When they object, tell them you'd usually use the lock landing because that's what it's for.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I don't see an issue with that either.  Clumsily breast up to them, step across their boat - preferably by way of a muddy puddle on the way back - work the lock and carry on.

When they object, tell them you'd usually use the lock landing because that's what it's for.

Exactly. And sometimes preferable as by being breasted up to the moored boat you are better lined up for when you move forward into the lock.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Exactly. And sometimes preferable as by being breasted up to the moored boat you are better lined up for when you move forward into the lock.

Exactly why I like seeing a mud hopper moored on a lock landing, makes life so much easier.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Exactly what I did last year when I wanted and early morning water top up and found a boat overnighting on the water point.

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

If I needed to wind, I don't think I'd bother about a sign, if I think it's a good place to wind, I can't see any harm.  I've been known to moor up next to a No Mooring sign, inadvertently I might say, but tying the boat up for lunch is not exactly mooring, or is it? 

If the boat is attached to the bank on bow and stern lines and the engine switched off it’s most definitely moored. It doesn’t matter for what purpose.

When I single hand I might use a lock landing for an extended stop for a tea break or a quick bite to eat. But rather like the use of the marina shop to justify winding I only put the boat on the centre line, keep the engine running, draw a paddle to prep the lock and keep an eye out for any approaching boats.

On rare occasions where there is nowhere to moor other than lock landings - such as on the Droitwich canal - I think anyone taking that liberty is obliged to prepare the lock and give way to any approaching boats.

Edited by Captain Pegg

18 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If the boat is moored on bow and stern lines and the engine switched off it’s most definitely moored. It doesn’t matter for what purpose.

When I single hand I might use a lock landing for an extended stop for a tea break or a quick bite to eat. But rather like the use of the marina shop to justify winding I only put the boat on the centre line, keep the engine running, draw a paddle to prep the lock and keep an eye out for any approaching boats.

On rare occasions where there is nowhere to moor other than lock landings - such as on the Droitwich canal - I think anyone taking that liberty is obliged to prepare the lock and give way to any approaching boats.

Of course, I was being Devil's Advocate, but I've been moored up today and yesterday, waiting for another boat to turn up, I'm not exactly on the waterpoint, just close to it!

Some guy came up and looked in my stern then took a photo of my bow ie my boat name, he has me worried, next time I'll ask him to wait so I can put  his photo on "who is this "creepagram"app.

I'm on a quiet mooring, no passers-by or dog walkers or any reason for anyone to be here tbh

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Of course, I was being Devil's Advocate, but I've been moored up today and yesterday, waiting for another boat to turn up, I'm not exactly on the waterpoint, just close to it!

Some guy came up and looked in my stern then took a photo of my bow ie my boat name, he has me worried, next time I'll ask him to wait so I can put  his photo on "who is this "creepagram"app.

I'm on a quiet mooring, no passers-by or dog walkers or any reason for anyone to be here tbh

Or you've possibly been immortalised on one of the "moored like a twit" Facebook pages??

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by “close” to a water point.

Given that pretty much all boats take water at the bows there ideally needs to be 70’ of clear space in both directions to make it accessible to other boats. Not everyone carries 70’ of hose.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by “close” to a water point.

Given that pretty much all boats take water at the bows there ideally needs to be 70’ of clear space in both directions to make it accessible to other boats. Not everyone carries 70’ of hose.

Not all water points are at a ninety degree corner like this one  Im quite happy that even the CRT workboat opposite can get access to water and my boat can actually go back another twenty feet quite easily but then it will block the view from the pub window! 

Not seen a boat moving for three days.

Edited by LadyG