Grand Union - Winding Holes

Alan Wheeler

Featured Posts

Is it permitted to turn at the following potential winding holes along the Grand Union canal, north of Norton Junction?

1. Willow Wren Training Centre (north of Bridge 20).
  2. Stockton Top Marina/Kate's Boat Hire (above Stopton Lock 4).
  3. Kayes Arm Junction (above Shop Lock 12).

Are there other suitable winding holes east of Radford Winding Hole?

Thanks.

I have winded at Kate Boats at the top of Stockton.  Whether you can will depend on where their boats are. I would not try on a changeover day when the green peril are in.

Bushes permitting,  you should be able to get anything smaller than about  55ft round above  Stockton Top.  Jarrah, at dead on 60ft, bp, will not quite go.

N

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months or so then winding at Willow Wren/ Nelson Wharf is fine.

I think Kate Boats at Stockton Top aren't too keen on turning but I have turned quite a few times there (not for the last 2 or 3 years though). I never noticed any no turning signage. There would sometimes be one of more hire boats moored in the marina entrance which makes it more difficult. If you get there (heading from Napton Junction) and think turning is too difficult you should be able to turn just before Stockton Top Lock it you are 50/55 foot or less. If not, you can go down one lock and turn there. I've never done it but Ryan's coal boat does so it must be possible.

On 03/02/2023 at 16:55, Lily Rose said:

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months or so then winding at Willow Wren/ Nelson Wharf is fine.

I think Kate Boats at Stockton Top aren't too keen on turning but I have turned quite a few times there (not for the last 2 or 3 years though). I never noticed any no turning signage. There would sometimes be one of more hire boats moored in the marina entrance which makes it more difficult. If you get there (heading from Napton Junction) and think turning is too difficult you should be able to turn just before Stockton Top Lock it you are 50/55 foot or less. If not, you can go down one lock and turn there. I've never done it but Ryan's coal boat does so it must be possible.

Neither CaRT online map nor WaterWay Routes give either location as a winding point. That is not to say that it cannot be done, simply that it is likely to be at the discretion of the land owner/tenant

48 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Neither CaRT online map nor WaterWay Routes give either location as a winding point. That is not to say that it cannot be done, simply that it is likely to be at the discretion of the land owner/tenant

I hadn't intended to imply they were official.

My understanding (from our marina staff) was that the owner of Willow Wren Training at Nelson Wharf was very happy for boats to turn there. They have now closed the training business and retired but as far as I know they still own the site so I assume turning is still fine.

I've often wondered about the absolute paranoia displayed by certain marinas with their NO WINDING signs shouting at you. What would be the harm? 

Presumably, up to a certain point, it's CRT waters anyway and, if a boat can wind without crossing the line, then they can. Perhaps the marina should be required to put some indication of where "their" water starts.

If I ran such a place, I'd have a big sign saying, "You are welcome to wind, but please give way to boats entering & leaving the marina - but wouldn't it be better to stop a while and buy diesel, gas, canal guides, roses & castles tat, a new boat, a permanent mooring, visit the cafe....."

If I was worried about a bit of "my" bank, I'd just install some meaty pontoon fenders.

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think some of them are worried that boats winding will wash silt from the main canal into the marina basin. Although if boats turn bows in to the marina I can't see it being a problem.

I never thought of that. They could always put a sign - winding bows first only please.

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think some of them are worried that boats winding will wash silt from the main canal into the marina basin. Although if boats turn bows in to the marina I can't see it being a problem.

In most cases, attempting a stern-in-to-entrance turn is a recipe for disaster! Only works if there is sufficient turning room for their effectively to be a winding hole in the opposite bank. Even then . . . try turning that way at Lowesmoor, Worcester - must be fun there on change around days . . .

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In most cases, attempting a stern-in-to-entrance turn is a recipe for disaster! Only works if there is sufficient turning room for their effectively to be a winding hole in the opposite bank. Even then . . . try turning that way at Lowesmoor, Worcester - must be fun there on change around days . . .

I think Stafford Boat Club has a notice up to that effect .

On my first venture on the canals in 1976, our mid-week turn-round was the pub at  Fenny Compton wharf. We found the official winding hole occupied by two securely chained-up 70' BW buttys, leaving the only other winding  option the nearby marina entrance with its "No Winding" notice. We only had to put the bows of our 60' boats a little way  into the entrance and no-one came out to object. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

6 hours ago, Bristolfashion said:

I've often wondered about the absolute paranoia displayed by certain marinas with their NO WINDING signs shouting at you. What would be the harm? 

Presumably, up to a certain point, it's CRT waters anyway and, if a boat can wind without crossing the line, then they can. Perhaps the marina should be required to put some indication of where "their" water starts.

If I ran such a place, I'd have a big sign saying, "You are welcome to wind, but please give way to boats entering & leaving the marina - but wouldn't it be better to stop a while and buy diesel, gas, canal guides, roses & castles tat, a new boat, a permanent mooring, visit the cafe....."

If I was worried about a bit of "my" bank, I'd just install some meaty pontoon fenders.

3 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

On my first venture on the canals in 1976, our mid-week turn-round was the pub at  Fenny Compton wharf. We found the official winding hole occupied by two securely chained-up 70' BW buttys, leaving the only other winding  option the nearby marina entrance with its "No Winding" notice. We only had to put the bows of our 60' boats a little way  into the entrance and no-one came out to object. 

I ignore "no winding" signs at marinas as I rarely have to use their water to complete a turn.

If in doubt I just go in, given space on the diesel wharf I will buy something, if there is not (quite common I have found) then I just go out again.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Bristolfashion said:

As part of the design for a marina, and before granting a NAA, CRT require there to be  a winding hole, either as part of the entrance or separately.

N

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

I ignore "no winding" signs at marinas as I rarely have to use their water to complete a turn.

If in doubt I just go in, given space on the diesel wharf I will buy something, if there is not (quite common I have found) then I just go out again.

This ^^ Especially if its a dry summer and going to the next winding hole means using locks and wasting water

47 minutes ago, BEngo said:

As part of the design for a marina, and before granting a NAA, CRT require there to be  a winding hole, either as part of the entrance or separately.

N

Barby Marina have a nice sign telling you to bugger off elsewhere

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

But under the terms of the NAA is the marina required to make that winding hole available for use by all, or only to those whom they permit to use it?

• 1 month later...
On 06/02/2023 at 18:12, Bristolfashion said:

If I needed to wind, I don't think I'd bother about a sign, if I think it's a good place to wind, I can't see any harm.  I've been known to moor up next to a No Mooring sign, inadvertently I might say, but tying the boat up for lunch is not exactly mooring, or is it? 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1