Convert a Solid Fuel Stove to Diesel

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I would think it's cheaper to rip out a solid fuel stove and replace it completely.

Two and a half grand for a diesel Bubble Corner Stove like my current solid fuel version. I'd have thought it possible to mitigate at least some of that cost by already having the same case. I suspect if there isn't a solution as of now it's down to lack of demand so far, but market conditions appear to be on the move.

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Two and a half grand for a diesel Bubble Corner Stove like my current solid fuel version. I'd have thought it possible to mitigate at least some of that cost by already having the same case. I suspect if there isn't a solution as of now it's down to lack of demand so far, but market conditions appear to be on the move.

I doubt it will ever become a problem for you on your boat. The anti everything in life legislation, is usualy legislated on property/homes etc, like fitting of multi fuel stoves and how and what you can do, the legislation is house related. 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I doubt it will ever become a problem for you on your boat. The anti everything in life legislation, is usualy legislated on property/homes etc, like fitting of multi fuel stoves and how and what you can do, the legislation is house related. 

Apart from when it specifically states it includes boats (as per the 'Smoke' legislation in the other thread)

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Loddon said:

15 or so years ago when diesel was 24p I swapped from an Old Dutch diesel stove to a Charnwood County multifuel stove. The money saved in the first winter paid for the stove and install.

And whilst the cost of diesel and solid fuel might have changed quite dramatically, a bag of solid fuel last me roughly two and a half days. Even at the £15.80 for 20kg of Excel I just paid, 60 hours of diesel can't compete on cost. However, whilst the current publicity about solid fuel and woodburner emissions is to do with atmospheric pollution, there is little doubt that the particulate contamination inside the boat must be quite high when burning wood or solid fuel and it's doing us all no good.

Edited by Sea Dog
Fuel cost clarity

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

And whilst the cost of diesel and solid fuel might have changed quite dramatically, a bag of solid fuel last me roughly two and a half days. Even at the £15.80 for 20kg of Excel I just paid, 60 hours of diesel can't compete on cost. However, whilst the current publicity about solid fuel and woodburner emissions is to do with atmospheric pollution, there is little doubt that the particulate contamination inside the boat must be quite high when burning wood or solid fuel and it's doing us all no good.

Agree about the particulates but burning diesel also produces NOx which is not good either.  In a rural area with a flue that doesn’t leak I don’t see burning solid fuel/diesel as a problem, but in urban areas where boat chimneys are on a level with ground floor windows it’s only a matter time before burning fuel in a stationary boat is banned from a low chimney/exhaust.

Edited by Chewbacka