An electrical question.

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have read somewhere probably withinhin these boards that some washing machines would not work from an inverter. My question is, does this extend to ovens, we purchased a new oven last July, the fitter installed it and everything was fine til Monday when the oven ceased to work properly. It is connected my Victron 3000w inverter, could this be an inverter problem similar to the washing machins?

Edited by magpie patrick
remove huge space at bottom of post

Is the oven

fuse OK?

Does it work on mains hookup or a generator?  You will need to check the power rating of the genny or mains point is greater than the oven rating.

Does everything else work OK off the Victron?

N

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

e purchased a new oven last July, the fitter installed it and everything was fine til Monday when the oven ceased to work properly. It is connected my Victron 3000w inverter, could this be an inverter problem similar to the washing machins?

If it worked 'fine' previously then it is unlikely to be as a result of the inverter (unless the inverter has burnt out, fuse blown etc)

What voltage are your batteries at ?

Check fuses.

Check for loose wires

Does the inverter work with anything else ?

46 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

Hi all, I have read somewhere probably withinhin these boards that some washing machines would not work from an inverter. My question is, does this extend to ovens, we purchased a new oven last July, the fitter installed it and everything was fine til Monday when the oven ceased to work properly. It is connected my Victron 3000w inverter, could this be an inverter problem similar to the washing machins?

As others have said, unlikely. To try to give you a bit of an explanation for this. Unless you have fancy electronic controls, an oven is what we call a resistive load, and resistive loads will happily run from all sorts of odd wave forms and frequencies. A washing machine, these days, has a lot of complex electronics and computer(s) to control the motors and the main motor may well be very different to the common types to allow for reversing and speed control. It is the electronics that seem to get upset by a frequency or waveform that is not spot on., so unless you have a very fancy oven with electronics or computer control it should work.  All sorts of electronic devices may have potential problems with inverters, especially non-sine wave ones, so often it is try it and see.

59 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

could this be an inverter problem similar to the washing machins?

I'd suggest no. An oven generally has a heater element and perhaps a fan. No electronics to get upset by any imperfect inverter waveform like a washing machine has. 

With one possible exception. Does yours have an electronic time clock on it? Mine won't work if the time is not set on it! 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It may be a gas oven with electronic controls 

Good point. We need the OP to clarify what the fault is exactly, and what make and model of oven it is. 

"the oven ceased to work properly" is not enough info to more than guess.

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Good point. We need the OP to clarify what the fault is exactly, and what make and model of oven it is. 

"the oven ceased to work properly" is not enough info to more than guess.

True, it might even mean the igniter won't work, and if so I would suspect it is a battery charge problem.

Should have put this in the 1st post. The oven ignition is clicking once the cuts out it takes aabout10 seconds to come back on it does not light the gas, the oven light flashes . I have changed the fuse in the plug  and battery voltage is 13.06. The inverter is running the tv and freeview box and the fridge freezer. It seems like I am going to have to pay the £100 for a technician to come out to have a look at it.

Edited by buccaneer66
delete spaces

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It may be a gas oven with electronic controls 

That's what I assumed as soon as I read the original post, while others assumed it was an electric oven.MyMyssumption was based on my guess that probably less than 1% of conventional ovens on boats are electric.

If the ignition clicks once and then it cuts out could it be something to do with the flame failure device stopping the electronic ignition working?

If the main gas control knob is rotary and it's auto ignition when you push the knob in, can you try pushing it in and while it's pushed in rotating it from one side to the other? There may be some oxidation on the contacts behind the knob and you might be able to clear it by pushing it in and rotating it several times. That might be completely wrong, it's just a guess.

Edited by blackrose