Best place in England / Mooring- for having a midlife crisis!

Robby789

Featured Posts

Hello there, Now, this looks like a very promising forum and I will be spending some time learning I think. Already ive seen a few threads which I will be looking into.

Totally brand spankingly new to canalboating. Little i know it sounds right for me, but well aware it's not the easist of living as well. 

I have 'been given' so to speak a canalboat, so time to 'start again' ( wont bore you with the details but involves women and boring jobs! ..theres a word for it...oh yea' mid-life crisis! ) 

SO.. in theory i can go anywhere in England (midlands at the moment ) with my canalboat ( note i havent actually taken it out yet properly! and just doing it up. A LOT to learn,total newbie, but up for an adventure, saying that, all i really want now is to find somewhere..nice..safe enough..moor up..get a little job...see how it goes for a few years.   

Sticking a pin in a map...any suggestions ? of course, each to their own, personally, i would like to be not far fromt the coast / a nice large enough town / I was looking at Bristol but also thinking the opposite side of the map Kent - around that area?  

Money obviously an issue, again aware mooring costs etc in different areas..so likes of Kent, London not for me...but just..somewhere  maybe more Southern England? 

Making it sound..simple - am I?  go anywhere?  i hope it is that simple. Thanks for listening, and any suggestions re a 'decent' place to moor up for a year or two welcome.

Thanks

Rob

• Greenie 1

I would focus more on "getting a job" aspect than the mooring/location. I am assuming if you're looking at getting a job, you don't have one currently, otherwise you'd know where you'd need to be. What is your trade etc, or what do you want to do?

Sure, a canalboat can make a quite suitable living location too. The first two that spring to mind, was Birmingham and the North West, both places have plenty of options on canals/locations.

Thank you Paul for a speedy reply.  I do actually have a job right now and a partner and older child and not actually living in England..right now. As i say, wasnt really going to bore the forum with the details.  My stage in life is happy to shelf stack to be honest..so..in that sense..im not fussy. 

Yes, from the very little i know..perhaps the busier stretches like Brum are wiser...but ...thats basically were the boat is right now. No, i want to a total move away.

Slightly upNorth might help re the kids  but ...as i literally am thinking of sticking  a pin on a map..honestly....and ..giving it a go...i may as well look for...somewhere coastal, slightly more Southen.  Plenty of Tescos etc

So, although i may not be sounding too serious about it...i actually am....very serious...a proper break away,and a change. Mid 50's  - Up for the challenge, a few quid to keep me going a while, and making this biG change for me..Im quite introverted type to be honest...so from that perspective starting this new life by myself is a big step.   

Just if anyone knows of a nice town, and i then take it from there.

Edited by Robby789

19 minutes ago, Robby789 said:

Making it sound..simple - am I?  go anywhere?  i hope it is that simple. Thanks for listening, and any suggestions re a 'decent' place to moor up for a year or two welcome.

You do realise you can't just pitch up somewhere and choose yourself a bit of bank to "moor up for a year or two" on?

You probably do but I just thought I should point this out in case not.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

You do realise you can't just pitch up somewhere and choose yourself a bit of bank to "moor up for a year or two" on?

You probably do but I just thought I should point this out in case not.

Ok, Matty, this is the info i need to know. And have a few months of decision making to learn it.  SO, although im aware of licences and things like that, costly stuff....IS  that the reason i cannot just...moor up?   Im aware ( again all new to me ) that you can only stay in 1 area for a week or two....but...yes, i was literally thinking....i chose a mooring site...if theres spaces, apply, pay the...few thousand quid for a year or so, get a small job, and thats it. Bob's your Uncle.

Or....is it not that simple?

Im aware the way of life and again, the cost....but Im ( hoping )...i can ..just take the canalboat..and...go anywhere..but again, plan would be to..moor up in a proper, safe area for a year or two.

I welcome your knowledge on this. I am researching, but nice to get from the horses mouth so to speak.

And thanks all for the replies so far.

SORRY if i am coming across very naive. But I am at a place in my life where i need to make a decision, to see it through.  I geniunally thought/think I can go anywhere.

Again, aware of some costs, applying, licences..all to be learnt.  Is a moored canalboat a place of residence? i.e. can I go to work? and live that type of 'simple' life.

Am i missing something? Please let me know. I do not want to bother the forum if you think i've got it totally wrong.   It's not a pipedream ( that would be a villa in Italy!! ) but its an 'idea' which i can afford ..as getting a single flat doesnt appeal with an annoying neighbour doesnt appeal!

Edited by Robby789

3 minutes ago, Robby789 said:

And thanks all for the replies so far.

SORRY if i am coming across very naive. But I am at a place in my life where i need to make a decision, to see it through.  I geniunally thought/think I can go anywhere.

Again, aware of some costs, applying, licences..all to be learnt.  Is a moored canalboat a place of residence? i.e. can I go to work? and live that type of 'simple' life.

Am i missing something? Please let me know. I do not want to bother the forum if you think i've got it totally wrong.   It's not a pipedream ( that would be a villa in Italy!! ) but its an 'idea' which i can afford ..as getting a single flat doesnt appeal!

If you want a static life, you'll need a home mooring, and ideally, one with residential moorings. 

There was a posting here the other day about being near the coast and I think there was only one suggestion was Lancaster. Bristol I think you will find unaffordable on Tesco wages but there could well be some vacancies next year as Bristol are bumping the price up 

Ok Higgs. I get that, is that harder to find?  I looked on some sites , seems spaces..but again open to all locations right now  hence my inital message narrowing it down ).

But ok,so, i moor up at a residential spot, spend say 2yrs...get a small job.  That ..possible?  No real issues with that?  Or am i missing something massive?

Ditchcrawler, thank you for the reply and the comment about the seaside thread. I need to and will scour this site. So long as I know this is possible as my previous posts mentioned.

You mentioned Bristol etc might be out of pocket on Tesco wages.  Just curious to know, and welcome your knowlege on this. I think..roughly could cost £8000 - £10000/yearly to live ' a life' on a canalboat... are you reffering to the actual Mooring costs being the reason why couldnt afford or sustain it? 

If so - then yes, perhaps a large town outside of Bristol, Kent area...and get a small job around there.  Is that...feasible?  surely if your on even a low wage..say, takehome monthly £1200 ....Its..possible..isnt it?  or again, am i missing something obvious?

Again, i wont keep blocking up the forum with my naive postings, just at this stage, i wanted to know if...i will be totally out of my depth...or...is what i am asking..possible. Nothing grand etc..just a very humble life..maybe pressure free, earn a few quid....im aware i wont be living the dream...but right now..it sounds better than what im doing.

Edited by Robby789

Just now, Robby789 said:

Ok Higgs. I get that, is that harder to find?  I looked on some sites , seems spaces..but again open to all locations right now  hence my inital message narrowing it down ).

But ok,so, i moor up at a residential spot, spend say 2yrs...get a small job.  That ..possible?  No real issues with that?  Or am i missing something massive?

Residential moorings may not always be available. You might need to put your name on a waiting list. You could go for a leisure mooring, but there could be time restrictions on the amount of time you can stay on-board. You have to learn how to work around that, by making yourself scarce and keeping your head down. 

Have you decided whether you want to moor your boat in a marina? Or do want to be a continuous cruiser (as defined by CRT)? 

Many of the marinas in the northwest seem to charge at least £80-100 per week (and some a lot more), and in the south it will be higher. So factor that cost into your planning, if that's what you want to do.

If you prefer to be a continuous cruiser then yes, you'll have to move your boat every 2 weeks, but it will have to be a minimum distance of a few miles, and you cant move straight back to the first location, you have to move further onwards in successive moves, and cover at least 20 miles from your first location over a year.

I've met a few people who work in jobs like stacking shelves and still mange to continuously cruise, and if you have a car its not too bad. For example , when your boat is at its furthest-away location from your workplace (because you're moving it further away from work every 2 weeks) , you can still drive the 30 miles or so to work.

Some people even manage it on pushbikes,  

The challenges come more in winter, when you are having to make the journey from boat to work along iced up (or wet and muddy) country lanes.

Public transport may be a help on some routes, but not all. So maybe factor the cost of a car into the budget as well, with insurance, servicing, fuel, etc. 

I spoke to a really nice guy last summer who was on his way up to the Lancaster canal, and was planning to work a supermarket job over the winter and build up cruising funds for the summer. He is cruising up and down the canal, and managing to be within travelling distance of his workplace, although on some days it is a long trip.

It definitely can be done, but at times. in winter, its a challenging lifestyle if you're in a less than ideal location for suitable work, if you don't have a car, and if you're no longer 25, fit, and able to cycle 20 miles to work along pitch dark rutted and muddy lanes at 6am, and in the freezing rain. 

Edited by Tony1

23 minutes ago, Robby789 said:

Ok, Matty, this is the info i need to know. And have a few months of decision making to learn it.  SO, although im aware of licences and things like that, costly stuff....IS  that the reason i cannot just...moor up?   Im aware ( again all new to me ) that you can only stay in 1 area for a week or two....but...yes, i was literally thinking....i chose a mooring site...if theres spaces, apply, pay the...few thousand quid for a year or so, get a small job, and thats it. Bob's your Uncle.

Or....is it not that simple?

Im aware the way of life and again, the cost....but Im ( hoping )...i can ..just take the canalboat..and...go anywhere..but again, plan would be to..moor up in a proper, safe area for a year or two.

I welcome your knowledge on this. I am researching, but nice to get from the horses mouth so to speak.

Put simply, (and if its canals which are under the authority of CRT) there's 2 choices: a mooring or CCing. CCing is slang for a licence where you declare no home mooring, instead you Continuously Cruise. There's plenty of threads on it, and info on the CRT website.

I didn't assume either, though, when I suggested Brum or NW. Both of those places are suitable for either type of mooring/licence variation, but its obviously not as simple as living in a house. For example, officialdom will at some point need an address......once again there are routes to do that. UK Bank account? You'll probably need one of those to pay wages in.

Canals tend to be in rural areas so if you chose to work in/near a conurbation, you will need to consider transport. Buses, trains, car ownership? Cycle? Work from home? etc. Another big topic in itself!

Personally I'd look at CCing around the NW area, get a cheap estate car which can fit a bicycle in the back, then shuffle both around. For work, look at Chester shops/pubs/etc and/or North Wales/Chester/surrounding area agency work or perhaps van driving or something like that.

55 minutes ago, Robby789 said:

You mentioned Bristol etc might be out of pocket on Tesco wages.  Just curious to know, and welcome your knowlege on this. I think..roughly could cost £8000 - £10000/yearly to live ' a life' on a canalboat... are you reffering to the actual Mooring costs being the reason why couldnt afford or sustain it? 

If so - then yes, perhaps a large town outside of Bristol, Kent area...and get a small job around there.  Is that...feasible?  surely if your on even a low wage..say, takehome monthly £1200 ....Its..possible..isnt it?  or again, am i missing something obvious?

For a residential mooring in the South the prices can be as much as £15000 a year & £5000 upwards for a non-residential mooring - which means you cannot live aboard full time, (just for the mooring). On top of that you will have to pay for electricity, gas etc.

A non residential mooring is typically around the £3000 per annum from the Midlands Northwards, or you may even find a 'Farm mooring' for £2000.

You can moor alongside the canal for no charge, but you will have to move a few miles every 10-14days and get gradually further and further away from your work place (you cannot just turn around and come back - you cannot shuffle about on the same bit of canal) and, of course, you will have no 'facilities' (no water, no toilet emptying etc) So you will have to move every few days anyway to fill your water tank and empty the toilet.

The cost of actually maintaining a boat can be anywhere from (say) £2000 per year for licence, insurance and Boat Safety testing) but with no maintenance and your asset will slowly depreciate and rust away or up to (maybe) a maximum of £10,000 per year - the average is normally reckoned to be around £5000 per year. but, you will have expensive years now and again when the boat needs a new engine (£3-£5000), or painting (£3-£5000), or overplating (£10,000+) so you always need to keep a few thousand in the bank for the 'breakdown fund'.

Just as with living in a flat you will still have to pay your travel costs to work (car, train, bus), you will also have food and drink, clothing, washing etc etc to pay

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Once again thank you all for the intresting reading. ( was just looking up peoples experiences with water ( lack of ) and electric..Im not deterred but add to that your comments, Tony, Paul Alan - its not going to be easy. But, i am serious about it, and in a situation which ....make the best of a situation...and really not wanting to rent a small place etc

So, Mark1,  sadly, I do not drive..  I am double the age of 25, and limited funds ( but enough for a couple years assuming i can also get a job ). Biking ( things electric bike..aware..electric may be an issue....i assume some of the offical mooring sites have unlimited elect and water? no? .

Mark1, when you said some cost £100/week - this burst my bubble..but looking at other kind replies..falls in line with the £3000 or so..ok..perhaps Southern England is out..maybe Chester is in then. 

For the first year or two...i would want a 'residential mooring'...and then...'bike' into work ..like when i was 25! Argos, Tesco etc...life is a cycle indeed for me! 

So their are 'canal police' then..or perhaps 'other boat users'  who like to spot you if you are moored for two long at a place..and who notes that, 'youve only moved a half mile'? Serious issue?   But, again, for now, it would be residential.   

Thanks Tony glad to hear that its all 'do-able'. Wont be a doddle, but I accept that.

8 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Bristol is sh*te, cant think why you would want to go there.

comment noted. If you can recommend a nicer spot..perhaps maybe not - as i was thinking too down South owing to cost -please let me know.

I did the whole 'worst places, best places in England'  usual ones come up on both lists! a couple of best places ive lived there..and certaintly are not. A place is what you make it, so..make it a good one  - I'm sure DocBrown said something like that!

I think Chester's nearest moorings where you could be "residential" (under the radar though) are Ellesmere Port, Tattenhall or Golden Nook, which are all about 6 miles from actual Chester. There's a few moorings nearer, dotted around here and there, but the above are the main conglomerations of boats where you stand a chance of getting in in a reasonable time (ie no waiting list).

Cycling is definitely possible, obviously the canal towpath is there and leads to Chester and there's roads etc too. Buses are quite possible, but not that regular. I'd not want to rely on buses too much around there.

If you're brand new, I'd forget about trying to CC if you're really trying to stay in one place and work, although doubtless others will disagree. It might be later on, you decide you could juggle the two with no issues - as some people are able to; and obviously with a number of canals in an area, its quite within the rules to do it and stay a vaguely close distance to eg Chester (or Brum), because they have a number of different canals. 

Other places where its one canal that passes through it, not so much.

9 minutes ago, Robby789 said:

i assume some of the offical mooring sites have unlimited elect and water? no? .

Marinas have 'unlimited' supply EXCEPT it is not unlimited like a house, the maximum you can use is 16 amps (that is all the supply will provide) Our house for example has a 200 amp supply. You still pay for what you use.

So their are 'canal police' then..or perhaps 'other boat users'  who like to spot you if you are moored for two long at a place..and who notes that, 'youve only moved a half mile'? Serious issue?   But, again, for now, it would be residential.   

The Canal & River Trust monitor licence evasion and non-movement of boats, they have staff who walk (apparently) every yard of the whole of the canal system every 14 days. If they see a boat moored, they note the registration number, and if it has not moved 14 days later they can start Enforcement - which starts of with a letter asking you to move, and then several stages later they come with Baliffs & Police, kick you off your boat and sieze your boat. This is called a "Section 8" process. Several boats a year are siezed in this way.

Mark1, when you said some cost £100/week - this burst my bubble..but looking at other kind replies..falls in line with the £3000 or so..ok..perhaps Southern England is out..maybe Chester is in then. 

The cost of keeping a boat licensed and maintained will average £100 per week, £5000 per annum) one year may be only £30 per week, (£1500 pa) and the next year may be £200 per week (£10000 pa)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Robby789 said:

.i assume some of the offical mooring sites have unlimited elect and water? no? .

The ones that do will always be at the more expensive end of the market. There are plenty of CaRT water point and Elsan dump points around, and some rubbish  disposal points, but you have to cruise to them and then back to your mooring. Pump out facilities are less regular and normally in marinas, you pay for those, perhaps £20 or more a time. There are some CaRT pump outs, but not that many.

Its worth pointing out that the boat you have (I think you said you were given a boat right?) will almost certainly need money spending on it straight out of the gate to make it liveable, so set aside some funds for that. The amount needed will depend on age and condition. Do you have any details about your boat?

My guess is that if was given to you, it probably wont be a brand new boat, and in fact it might be a project boat, needing a lot of work.

For example, if the batteries are shot, you might be looking at spending £400 on a new set. There may be any number of issues needing a fix- either immediately or within the first 6 months. If you are competent at DIY, 12v electrics and engine mechanicals, you can save yourself a lot of money.  

If you need to pay professionals to get it fixed up, then it might cost you an awful lot of money to get your free boat into liveable shape, so I would check out its details asap, and ask for advice here. 

The money you spend might add something to the boat's value, so in that sense you wont simply be throwing money away.  

There may be a misunderstanding with the "unlimited electricity". It is possible that the idea is you can use as much as you like and not pay for it. 

This is slightly different to having an unlimited supply in terms of amps or kilowatts available to supply onboard loads. It seems unlikely that the amps of the bollard would be relevant for canal boats but if you could get free electric that definitely would be relevant. 

I've not bin but I heard in some places on the continent you can actually plug into free electric points on some moorings. Free in the sense that you pay no money for it. 

Edited by magnetman
Edit to remove accidental mild sex references