Running my Own Gas Line

Featured Posts

Hi All

I wonder  if anyone can advise, but I'm ideally wanting to 'run' my own gas line, in preparation for having a gas guy come to fit my hob and oven. 

Just to confirm here, I have NO INTENTION of fitting or connecting any gas appliances myself, I just want to run/clip the gas line under my gunnel so it's ready at the kitchen end and ready in my utility room end for the gas guy to then take outside to the gas lockers. 

I'll of course run a single length of copper pipe, but woudl rather do this myself. The gas line has to go out the back and my bathroom and bedroom are fitted, polished, painted and looking pristine and I now don't want someone with little care ripping it to bits to put the gas line in, dirty hands,etc.

I know it must be clipped, but was wondering: a) what size/type of copper pipe to lay, i.e. 5mm copper brake pipe? and b) I'm sure the clipping had to be done every 20-30cm? What clips to use?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Pipe size will be determined by the maximum rate of gas consumption with all burners lit (check the stove specification) and the overall length. 5mm sounds far too small. I would be thinking 3/8" or 1/2".

Check the BSS for clip spacing. I don't think the type of clip matters, but get them from the same supplier as the pipe.

35 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Hi All

I wonder  if anyone can advise, but I'm ideally wanting to 'run' my own gas line, in preparation for having a gas guy come to fit my hob and oven. 

Just to confirm here, I have NO INTENTION of fitting or connecting any gas appliances myself, I just want to run/clip the gas line under my gunnel so it's ready at the kitchen end and ready in my utility room end for the gas guy to then take outside to the gas lockers. 

I'll of course run a single length of copper pipe, but woudl rather do this myself. The gas line has to go out the back and my bathroom and bedroom are fitted, polished, painted and looking pristine and I now don't want someone with little care ripping it to bits to put the gas line in, dirty hands,etc.

I know it must be clipped, but was wondering: a) what size/type of copper pipe to lay, i.e. 5mm copper brake pipe? and b) I'm sure the clipping had to be done every 20-30cm? What clips to use?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

If it were me I would discuss this with whoever you plan to do the connections/ commissioning. If he doesn't like what you have done, he probably wont connect it

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If it were me I would discuss this with whoever you plan to do the connections/ commissioning. If he doesn't like what you have done, he probably wont connect it

Agree with this 100% some gas engineers and indeed sparky's are understandably reluctant to piggy back on the work of a DIY'er.

Edited by M_JG
Spell chucker having a benny

Is the boat a residential boat, i.e. a liveaboard. If it is then the gas work should be done by a gas safe fitter with LPG and boat acreditation. I have no idea if this would cover running a pipe but not making any joints or connection of appliances.

The fact you suggest 5mm copper brake pipe indicates to me you probably shouldn't be doing this.

Do you realise that the pipe and fittings should either be exposed to allow inspection of the whole run, or if covered at all, the covering must be easily removable.  I think in your super shiny bathroom and bedroom it is unlikely that anyone will be looking to remove existing woodwork and trim - far more likely the pipe needs to be installed on top of what you already have, I would have thought.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

It is OK to run your own pipe, but, as said,  ask the (LPG in boats endorsed )  Gas Safe registered chap you intend to employ if there is anything special he wants.  It is his PI cover at risk!  The GSIUR also apply, especially if you are a liveaboard.

Also read the RCR specified standard and the BSS requirements and examination checklists carefully before you start.

À

Unless you have enormous gas using appliances, or the pipe will be very long,  1/2 in pipe is likely to be adequate.  You may be OK with 3/8 in for àaa low use, short-pipe-run system.

If you do expect to use a lot of gas and/ or have a long pipe  then you will need  to size the  the pipe using the table/graph in BS 5482 Part 3, which is probably also in  PD 5482.

If you can find them,  'P' clips are easier than saddle clips ( one less screw).  Brass or copper are fine. Spacing is  as the standards.

Make sure you get the right sort of pipe.  It should be half-hard copper to the relevant Standard, (referenced in BS 5482) , Table Y IIRC.  Stainless steel is also acceptable, as is an all-hose system.  I know 4/5 of *Nowt* about these but neither do most BSS examiners, so I would not go down that route.

N

50 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Make sure you get the right sort of pipe.  It should be half-hard copper to the relevant Standard, (referenced in BS 5482) , Table Y IIRC.  Stainless steel is also acceptable, as is an all-hose system.  I know 4/5 of *Nowt* about these but neither do most BSS examiners, so I would not go down that route.

I'm sure the piping specification has changed from what you have quoted;

There is no requirement for 'half hard' and the wall thickness were reduced some years ago.

Unless it has recently changed the RCD / RCR requires gas installation to an ISO spec 10239 (which is still shown as current in the 2022 RCR Specifications listing)

Screenshot (1878).png

6.1 General

6.1.1 The LPG supply line system shall be either a solid piping system in accordance with 6.2, except for short hose connection to gimballed stoves, or continuous hose in accordance with 6.3.

6.1.2 Hoses shall be used to connect gimballed stoves to their LPG supply, and to connect supply piping to the pressure regulator. The hose and its connections from supply piping to the pressure regulator shall be within the cylinder locker or cylinder housing.

6.1.3 Piping and hose shall be sized so that pressure drop due to pipe resistance does not reduce the nominal pressure at any appliance below that required by the appliance manufacturer when all appliances are operating simultaneously. See Annex A. ISO 10239:2008(E) 

6.2 Piping

6.2.1 Only solid drawn copper or drawn stainless steel piping, which are galvanically compatible, shall be used for rigid supply lines. Wall thickness for piping shall be greater than 0,8 mm for piping up to 12 mm outside diameter and a minimum of 1,5 mm for an outside diameter greater than 12 mm.

6.2.2 There shall be no joints or fittings in piping passing through engine compartments.

6.2.3 Metallic LPG supply piping routed through engine compartments shall be protected by conduit or trunking, or supported by non-abrasive attachments which are no more than 300 mm apart.

6.2.4 Fittings for connections and joints in piping shall be metallic and of any of the following types: ⎯ hard soldered connections; ⎯ cutting ring fittings in accordance with ISO 8434-1:2007, Table 4 (see also 6.4.2, 6.4.4, 6.4.5); ⎯ copper rings on copper piping; stainless steel rings on stainless steel piping; ⎯ connections in accordance with EN 560. Jointing compound for flared fittings or flared rings shall not be used.

And the pressure drop table :

Screenshot (1880).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The person to ask is the person who will be approving it. When I had our extension built a few years ago, the builder's  electrician was happy to let me do the donkey work of installation, after advising me about what was required to comply with the current standards. 

We do all of our gas pipework and joints, feeds, pipe clamps, hoses etc, but only after agreeing everything with the guy who is going to be connecting everything up and signing it all off. 

I have done the same on my own boat, with the same advice.o

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice on this, guys. I'll contact some gas guys, but really would like to run the line myself. It's a single piece of pipe, so any help with diameters, would be great.

Oven is 2.5kw with a 2.2 integral grill and I'm having the Thetford 931 hob which is a total of 5kw over three rings. 

Any advice helpful in the meantime but will also check with whoever I have to come fit things

You have a bit less than 10 kW connected, so using the table posted above by Alan de Enfield  for 10mm pipe, you would expect a pressure drop of 0.006 kPa for each metre of pipe. Work out the total drop in pressure. (0.006× length of pipe in metres)   Deduct this from the design pressure for Propane of 3.7kPa (37 mb)   and check the result against the  spec for the appliances. If the figure you get is greater than the minimum acceptable gas pressure then 3/8 in  pipe is fine, if if is less you will need 1/2 inch.

N

44 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You have a bit less than 10 kW connected, so using the table posted above by Alan de Enfield  for 10mm pipe, you would expect a pressure drop of 0.006 kPa for each metre of pipe. Work out the total drop in pressure. (0.006× length of pipe in metres)   Deduct this from the design pressure for Propane of 3.7kPa (37 mb)   and check the result against the  spec for the appliances. If the figure you get is greater than the minimum acceptable gas pressure then 3/8 in  pipe is fine, if if is less you will need 1/2 inch.

N

And hope whoever is connecting it agrees with you

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

OP says it is a straight pipe!

N

They are never straight. The OP hasn't looked at it properly yet! 

Fit 1/2" pipe. Not because it necessarily needs it but to avoid an argument every four years with the current BSS bod. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

They are never straight. The OP hasn't looked at it properly yet! 

Fit 1/2" pipe. Not because it necessarily needs it but to avoid an argument every four years with the current BSS bod. 

Unless you get a really awkward one who starts banging on about note 3 from the chart……

On 02/02/2023 at 22:27, matty40s said:

We do all of our gas pipework and joints, feeds, pipe clamps, hoses etc, but only after agreeing everything with the guy who is going to be connecting everything up and signing it all off. 

I have done the same on my own boat, with the same advice.o

Who’s “we” matty40s ?