These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

So you're ignoring the principle that even if you should be allowed to do things which are risky to yourself, you shouldn't be allowed to inflict risk on other people without their consent just to suit yourself?

This applies to smoking (secondary smoke), woodburning (most of the PM2.5 affect other people, not you), drink-driving, and many other aspects of life.

If you disagree and think that weaker specimens should be eliminated, surely that gives a stronger specimen -- a skilled hunter with a shotgun, say -- the right to shoot you for fun, which also removes you from the gene pool and reduces the population?

I've always dreamed of being killed by a hunter but it was a rifle not a shotgun as I think the shotgun would probably risk me not actually dying. 

You seem to know me but obviously you don't know much about hunting. 

It is interesting you compare burning wood with killing someone with guns. 

Are you one of those people who took the covids seriously ? 

Watch out ! They'll get you one way or another. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I've always dreamed of being killed by a hunter but it was a rifle not a shotgun as I think the shotgun would probably risk me not actually dying. 

You seem to know me but obviously you don't know much about hunting. 

It is interesting you compare burning wood with killing someone with guns. 

Are you one of those people who took the covids seriously ? 

Watch out ! They'll get you one way or another. 

Now you may be killed by a Hunter stove

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Lighting a stove like that could be a very serious risk to your health, problem is some people today who don't have experiance of fires in houses think that is how you should store the wood.

Another, even more fatal reason not to light it is the missing flue! 

52 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

A couple of years BC (Before Covid) I read a report of a number of deaths at a barbecue that had used building timber offcuts (presumably arsenic-impregnated) as fuel. I think it was in Australia. 

There was an account in the link I gave of s family in Australia who poisoned themselves with arsenic this way...

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

Its fairly basic stuff, a skilled hunter would use a rifle (probably with a scope), shotguns are used to blindly inflict damage/death on near objects.

Really! Have you ever tried to shoot a clay with a shotgun, maybe it's just me but it's bloody difficult 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you ever tried it with a rifle ?

Yes but I got banned from the range ;)

Never got the hang of shotguns, not bad with a rifle though, at least the few times I've tried and can get a decent grouping with my air rifle at about 30yrds

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

the few times I've tried and can get a decent grouping with my air rifle at about 30yrds

Now get someone to throw paper plates in the air and then pot them with the air rifle.

It's not much dafter than skeet shooting, but using a paintball gun instead of the air rifle makes a more satisfying mess!

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Now get someone to throw paper plates in the air and then pot them with the air rifle.

It's not much dafter than skeet shooting, but using a paintball gun instead of the air rifle makes a more satisfying mess!

You know what I might just give that a go, should be good for a giggle, I might even have a box of clays somewhere 

39 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

As a kid we use to shoot at toy cars that ran off a ramp (plank) in a mates back garden with airguns

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And in 1938 the Army taught you to shoot (using 22 rifles) at little trains.

Royal Fusiliers Training with LEs in 1938.jpg

I think dad would have killed me if I had taken my train set round. It was bad enough when he found a slug in a sprout as Sunday lunch, a lead one.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

That's an interesting  use for what was obviously a Hornby "O " gauge electric train that I haven't seen mentioned in books on the system, saved walking up and down the range to change target cards, and safer for the trainer!  

"Trainer"!

Lol, I see what you did there ;) 

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

On the Daily Mail website there is an interactive map of places in England which are going to impose the fine.

Cannot believe that @IanD has  not put a link up to it

Typical Mail bollox.

Its a map of existing smoke control areas, and points out the requirements you have to meet if you live in one. (We do).