These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

As modern log burning stoves all seem to cost upwards of £1000, I can't see users giving them up willingly. 

If they have bought wisely they will have bought a multi fuel stove, rather than one that can only burn wood.

But you are correct.

51 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You do have to remember that banning something doesn't mean that it stops or goes away. I believe fox hunting was banned a while back, and, in fact, stealing things has been against the law for a while. Oh, and motorbikes are banned from the towpath.

Laws are pointless without enforcement, and stupid laws, quite rightly, get ignored, by the enforcers as well as the public. There are currently thousands of homes oop north without power. If an alternative heat source cannot be guaranteed, then people are going to make sure they've got a backup, and wood is everywhere.

Stop talking common sense Arthur 

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Petrol and diesel cars cost a lot more and they are going to ban them

Only the sale of new ones in 2030, the ones in service will continue until to expensive to run, parts not available or even fuel not being available 

52 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Petrol and diesel cars cost a lot more and they are going to ban them

Not quite sure you fully check your facts before you post things.

The sale of new ICE vehicles is going to be banned. There will still be ICE vehicles on the road after the ban comes into force.

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Not quite sure you fully check your facts before you post things.

The sale of new ICE vehicles is going to be banned. There will still be ICE vehicles on the road after the ban comes into force.

Yes in Hybrid cars

It will probably be the older cars for which replacement items can be made by a decent engineering  workshop, that will last longest.  It is the more recent cars that use sophisticated electronics modules which are often specific to a particular model and manufactured in the Far East, that are likely to become scrap sooner,  when replacements for items such as  their multifunction touch screen displays that are replacing physical switches and instruments, are no longer available. The very expensive manufacturing plant required to make such items means that they cannot be made by independent suppliers in the same way that mechanical items can. 

An acquaintance who runs a 1948 Jowett Javelin,  had a linkage fail in its gearbox last year, and was able to source and fit a replacement in a week.   

I would not be surprised if the high cost of EVs and Hybrids, combined with issues with charging EVs by those who do not have off-street parking,  leads to the continued presence of many older IC cars on the roads.  We  could end up  a bit like Cuba after Castro took over and import of new cars was blocked. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Cuba comment added, typos
  • Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yes in Hybrid cars

I think the hybrids offered in 2030 will be very different to the 30 mile hybrids on the go now. They will be more like my Range extender,  big range on electric and small range on fuel, if they even survive 

A short time ago I watched a program on the electric Mini where the battery is basically designed to fit in the Mini, they said the next generation the Mini will be designed to fit the battery. I wonder how true this is with other manufactures other than Tesla and when they build a car round the battery how much better will it be.

22 hours ago, peterboat said:

Just pointing out that your beloved EU is as two faced as it gets!

Oh dear, your bias is showing again.

Germany is a single country out of 27.   What one sovereign country does can not be laid at the door of the EU.

Well, it can't for sensible intelligent unbiased people.   Why do you insist on trying to blame the EU for anything a single sovereign country does?   It can only be blind bias.

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Oh dear, your bias is showing again.

Germany is a single country out of 27.   What one sovereign country does can not be laid at the door of the EU.

Well, it can't for sensible intelligent unbiased people.   Why do you insist on trying to blame the EU for anything a single sovereign country does?   It can only be blind bias.

No bias just painting out that Germany runs the EU and the rules dont apply to them

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A short time ago I watched a program on the electric Mini where the battery is basically designed to fit in the Mini, they said the next generation the Mini will be designed to fit the battery. I wonder how true this is with other manufactures other than Tesla and when they build a car round the battery how much better will it be.

I know someone who wanted to upgrade his Tesla. Went to Tesla to buy a new one and was told we do not do trade in.

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I know someone who wanted to upgrade his Tesla. Went to Tesla to buy a new one and was told we do not do trade in.

I'm not surprised, given the novel structure of their retail operation. Whether its really such an inconvenience for buyers, I don't know - I bet Tesla will deliver to a home, on a particular date. Or were they relying on the part-ex to be the deposit for the new car?

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

They sell Tesla Tesla approved cars here is a link, also look at the age not many OE manufacturers sell cars this old

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/inventory/used/ms

20 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That's eye-watering, looks like my Tesla owning days are a very long way off

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same here. No way I'm paying boat money for just a car! Jeez!! 

Available cheaper from elsewhere, also if you want free supercharging for life it cant have passed through Tesla. 

Re "for life", I recall that when we got our first mobile phones, my wife took up Orange's offer of so many free texts per day on payment of a one-off lump sum that was supposed to be "for life". The T&Cs small.print allowed the terms to be modified, which they were a few years later by withdrawing the free texts arrangement  completely.