These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's interesting, because AFAIK my parents got no such grant when they installed gas CH in place of an open fire with back boiler, they paid the entire cost. When were these grants available, and what were the conditions?

Here's the link to the original 1956 Act which had quite wide application

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/4-5/52/section/12/enacted

and here is a link from the 1993 Act showing what remains

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/11/section/25

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

Surely that depends whether biomass-pellet-fueled boilers emit as much PM2.5 as woodburners?

Since they haven't come up anywhere in the discussions or articles my suspicion is that they're a lot cleaner, but some actual facts would be useful... 😉

Here you go Martin 

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/fthr/biomass-energy-resources/reference-biomass/facts-figures/emission-levels/

10 hours ago, Paul C said:

The boat's cold inside?

Not necessarily. I start my fire up in the morning with kindling and the boat is still warm from the coals staying alit overnight. I could start it up once an hour if I wanted to while retaining a comfortable interior temperature. 

I can see tax coming on solid fuel products. 

In another topic the grants. It is interesting that the wording in the legislation specifically excludes vessels being described as dwellings in order to acquire government grants for replacement of heating appliances. 

50 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not necessarily. I start my fire up in the morning with kindling and the boat is still warm from the coals staying alit overnight. I could start it up once an hour if I wanted to while retaining a comfortable interior temperature

Ang about. What happened to that marvelous stove you was telling me about the other day? 

You know, the one that stays in all night. 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ang about. What happened to that marvelous stove you was telling me about the other day? 

You know, the one that stays in all night. 

That's the fire on the country estate boat. I was talking about my inner city boat which has a different type of fire on it. 

What I mean is you can emit smoke from the chimney when starting up the fire and there is no limit to the number of times one can start a fire up. 

So the government could pay people to remove their stoves from the house which will encourage people to block their chimneys up again. Which will mean that houses get damp and mould starts growing on the walls.

Which will mean more children will die 

54 minutes ago, Tonka said:

So the government could pay people to remove their stoves from the house which will encourage people to block their chimneys up again. Which will mean that houses get damp and mould starts growing on the walls.

But, if the fires are blocked up and folks cannot afford the alternative fuels, they will spend more time in bed keeping warm and the result will be more children.

So it may well be 'Nett Zero" on the number of children allowed to grow up and further destroy the planet, with an ever increasing demand for consumer goods and Lithium batteries.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

New houses don't have chimneys 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Not necessarily. I start my fire up in the morning with kindling and the boat is still warm from the coals staying alit overnight. I could start it up once an hour if I wanted to while retaining a comfortable interior temperature. 

I can see tax coming on solid fuel products. 

In another topic the grants. It is interesting that the wording in the legislation specifically excludes vessels being described as dwellings in order to acquire government grants for replacement of heating appliances. 

You would need to convince the council smoke nazi (or court or whatever) that you’re just starting the smoky fire, even though the boat is warm.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

New houses don't have chimneys 

Just fake chimney stacks! (Along with a warning not to attach a tv aerial to it!)

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

You would need to convince the council smoke nazi (or court or whatever) that you’re just starting the smoky fire, even though the boat is warm.

Could be warm from another heat source that is used sparingly on account of its cost?

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Currently on the Daily Mail website there are 1.3k comments on the logburner story.

Anybody want to guess how many are @IanD and @M_JG having a go at each other ?

Zero.

I dont read the Mail and I'm pretty confident niether does Ian.

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Currently on the Daily Mail website there are 1.3k comments on the logburner story.

Anybody want to guess how many are @IanD and @M_JG having a go at each other ?

I'm insulted that you think I'd read that rag... 😞

And I've given up "discussing" anything with M_JG, it's simply not worth the effort.

As a general comment, people making snide digs at other people -- like you here -- isn't exactly conducive to a harmonious forum either... 😞

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IanD said:

And I've given up "discussing" anything with M_JG, it's simply not worth the effort.

As a general comment, people making snide digs at other people -- like you here -- isn't exactly conducive to a harmonious forum either... 😞

Its a joke man. Lighten up.

Jeeze..

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

The harmonium forum is here The Official Harmonium Thread | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks for that. I've got one under the stairs that has needed minor repairs for the last ten years.

If it needs spare reeds, I could always break up a surplus melodeon or two... 😉

31 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I'd just like to point out the pellets for Drax are hauled past my house by diesel locomotives after they ave been unloaded from heavy oil powered boats that have travelled across the atlantic.

Yes, I see them every day, and of course in one direction they must be empty, a lot of diesel used to burn these wood pellets.

There is a program on the radio about what the effects of cheap energy would have on the planet. Might be of interest to some folks on here.

When I was doing an Open University degree, a long time ago, one way of dispersing pollution was to use very tall chimney stacks, and site the coal fired power stations on the east coast!

Another method was to have mesh grids on top of the stack to catch the particulates, this tended to fail because the fumes were acidic and corroded the mesh, but perhaps we could have some sort of new chimney design with disposable grids? Practical on boats but not on houses.