These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

This is a good one to elaborate on. 

Do you have more details on this? 

I think it is probably up to local councils to decide how to proceed so maybe they need to have a specific framework to deal with boats. 

It does seem interesting that the 1993 clean air act was amended to include vessels. It seems unlikely this was a random event. 

More explanation will definitely be welcome.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/11/section/44

See ss44(2a). 

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that @Tacet. Quite hard to decipher what it actually means. 

Is it illegal to hold non authorised fuel on board a boat which is located in a smoke control area? 

This could be an alternative approach for enforcement but presumably storage does not equate to usage. 

I bought some non smokeless product recently by mail order and the supplier printed individual stickers on each bag with my name and address (smoke control area). Obviously I might be using it elsewhere but one does wonder. 

Presumably a pile of logs to be used as firewood would not meet the ready to burn requirements. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Presumably a pile of logs to be used as firewood would not meet the ready to burn requirements. 

Unless these logs need a government stamp, for ready-to-burn, the moisture content was specified as having to be under 20%.

Edited by Higgs

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Unless these logs need a government stamp, the moisture content was specified as having to be under 20%.

Moisture meter Nazis will turn up and be authorised to test your wood. 

This is my weapon of choice although it does not show percentages. 

16753307849857441532289036793913.jpg.8c50d19b1e5e2cfba3a46f6680a56f67.jpg

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Thanks for that @Tacet. 

The ready to burn thing is a supplier issue, individuals can burn wet socks if they want, well as long as its not smokey wet socks I suppose 

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Thanks for that @Tacet. Quite hard to decipher what it actually means. 

Is it illegal to hold non authorised fuel on board a boat which is located in a smoke control area? 

This could be an alternative approach for enforcement but presumably storage does not equate to usage. 

I bought some non smokeless product recently by mail order and the supplier printed individual stickers on each bag with my name and address (smoke control area). Obviously I might be using it elsewhere but one does wonder. 

Is your boat a sea going vessel?

There are one or two seagoing narrow boats about. It is interesting wording they use in the section 73. 

"all waters not navigable by sea-going ships; and"

This seems to include all waterways. I wonder why they didn't just say all inland waterways. 

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

There are one or two seagoing narrow boats about. It is interesting wording they use in the section 73. 

"all waters not navigable by sea-going ships; and"

This seems to include all waterways. I wonder why they didn't just say all inland waterways. 

Bigger rivers and the Manchester Ship Canal are excluded from that definition, probably deliberately. 

It would seem so. The second part is 

(b)all waters navigable by sea-going ships which are within the seaward limits of the territorial waters of the United Kingdom and are contained within any port, harbour, river, estuary, haven, dock, canal or other place so long as a person or body of persons is empowered by or under any Act to make charges in respect of vessels entering it or using facilities in it.

This is quite an intriguing bit of wording. 

Is this a reference to PRN waterways being excluded ?

For example the tidal Thames. No body or persons can charge for the use of it. Does this means boat upon the tidal Thames are exempt from the controls placed on vessels? Also the tidal section of the Lee and Roding could be the same even though they are in smoke control areas. 

For any one worried about getting fined for burning old tyres on their stove, the government has your back. They've introduced the tighter rules on stove smoke, but not given councils any funds to enforce it.

From the paper read by middle class wood burning stove owners conflicted by their concern for the environment: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/03/councils-say-they-lack-funds-to-enforce-stricter-limits-on-wood-burners

45 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So, has anyone successfully converted a solid fuel stove to diesel? :detective:

No.  But why not convert to hydrogen.  I'm sure it will be available in 13 kg bottles.  No fumes, and if a leak just floats out of the top of the boat.

In the meant time, I do still have a couple of old motorcycle tyres that need recycling if you run out of wood.

Its very hard to make anything from diesel.

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Have you seen one made of diesel? I haven't. The steel parts can be used to construct the wood burner. Nice closed loop system. 

We have plastic paddles so I suppose before long plastic gates as well. 

Plastic gates could be a good option for the guy making the plastic boat.