These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

Just now, The Gravy Boater said:

So you're saying I should stop burning old tyres on the towpath?

Only if you are in a smoke control area. If you are a member of a protected group you may be able to have special arrangements put in place to allow your long held traditional activities to take place on certain days.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

You must be joking. There is NO WAY I'm putting my postcode into that. The Smoke Nazis will be around in a flash!! 

You can pan and zoom around the map without inputting a placename or postcode. But on my phone I just see a blank map with no smoke control areas (and a null legend).

1 minute ago, MtB said:

You must be joking. There is NO WAY I'm putting my postcode into that. The Smoke Nazis will be around in a flash!! 

One great thing with Smoke Nazis is they have a limited number of options when it comes to disguising their positions in the battlefield. 

Just now, David Mack said:

You can pan and zoom around the map without inputting a placename or postcode. But on my phone I just see a blank map with no smoke control areas (and a null legend).

Much the same here. I can find my hovel on the app but no indication of whether it is in a smoke control area.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

This is because it is a satellite image and was obscured by the smoke from peoples fires. 

Burn more wood ! 

Just now, David Mack said:

But are they 'solid' fuel?

The moisture content will usually be above 20 percent. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Only if you are in a smoke control area. If you are a member of a protected group you may be able to have special arrangements put in place to allow your long held traditional activities to take place on certain days.

I dunno man... I feel the CRT are planning on curtailing my cultural norms.

Just now, The Gravy Boater said:

I dunno man... I feel the CRT are planning on curtailing my cultural norms.

It isn't up to the CRT to deal with this problem. It is up to councils. I don't think the CRT have any powers on what you burn although if you are burning it on the towpath it is possible you may be infringing a byelaw..

Can you not cut the tires into small enough pieces and get them in the fire? I know the wires are annoying but it can be done. 

I have been using a log burner in my house for the last 12+ years.  At the time of installation, I asked the council for a list of DEFRA approved stoves.  I chose one and had a HETAS registered installer put it in.  At the time, the area was NOT a smoke controlled area.  Checking today it's now been upgraded to a smoke controlled area some time in the last few years I guess.

I dont think a DEFRA stove is going to get round the problem.  My boat does NOT have a defra stove.

1 minute ago, nairb123 said:

I have been using a log burner in my house for the last 12+ years.  At the time of installation, I asked the council for a list of DEFRA approved stoves.  I chose one and had a HETAS registered installer put it in.  At the time, the area was NOT a smoke controlled area.  Checking today it's now been upgraded to a smoke controlled area some time in the last few years I guess.

I dont think a DEFRA stove is going to get round the problem.  My boat does NOT have a defra stove.

Im confused now

Is the DEFRA stove the one that takes a whole tractor tyre ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nairb123 said:

Surely that was the whole point of defra approved stoves. 

As for boats one can use the fact it is moving to defeat the smoke Nazis and the worst of the offences can be deliberately achieved under the cover of darkness when a Ringelmann scale doesn't work. 

17 minutes ago, nairb123 said:

As I read our councils web site I read you can still burn stuff that isnt properly seasoned in a Defra stove but you can also still be fined if you produce excessive smoke. Even though in theory a defra stove should produce less smoke burning un seasoned stuff??

So yes I think you are correct.

The best way to confirm will be to burn ready to burn stuff that doesnt emit smoke (or very little) no matter what type of stove you have.

Edited by M_JG

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

But if you are emitting no smoke or very little why would that be an issue?

And who will decide this and how.  A fire usually "smokes" a bit on startup.  Is this another money making scam?.  Will you need to supply proof of stove?.  Or what yr burning??.

Cost wise, I get all my wood for free...... a massive saving on todays gas prices and a big saving on heating/cooking on the boat.

36 minutes ago, nairb123 said:

You can use exempt appliances in Smoke Control Areas (for the fuels specified for each) in this list:

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/appliances.php?country=england

It's necessary to look at the details.  For example my stove at home is on the list as exempt but in the small print it says that an additional stop mechanism to prevent a vent fully closing is needed.

Edited by alias
  • Greenie 1