These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

So if I was to moor up in a "smoke control area" or have a mooring in such an area would the new rules apply to a boat burning coal/wood?.   I get a good load of scrap wood each year and some of it goes in the stove on the boat.  Maybe there will be a tap on the roof and a £300 fine issued.  Maybe the CRT could police this and take a cut.

I have been on the canal for 30(ish) years.  Times have changed.

Nairb

11 minutes ago, nairb123 said:

So if I was to moor up in a "smoke control area" or have a mooring in such an area would the new rules apply to a boat burning coal/wood?.   I get a good load of scrap wood each year and some of it goes in the stove on the boat.  Maybe there will be a tap on the roof and a £300 fine issued.  Maybe the CRT could police this and take a cut.

Nairb

In theory - yes.

Boats were previously exempt from the 'smoke control' rules but this was amended a couple of years ago so that the new regulations specifically include boats.

Environment act 2021

73Smoke control areas: amendments of the Clean Air Act 1993

Schedule 12 makes provision—

(a)for imposing financial penalties for the emission of smoke in smoke control areas in England,

(b)about offences relating to the sale and acquisition of solid fuel in England,

(c)for applying smoke control orders to vessels in England, and

(d)for authorised fuels and exempted fireplaces to be listed in Wales.

The waters to which this section applies are—

(a)all waters not navigable by sea-going ships; and

(b)all waters navigable by sea-going ships which are within the seaward limits of the territorial waters of the United Kingdom and are contained within any port, harbour, river, estuary, haven, dock, canal or other place so long as a person or body of persons is empowered by or under any Act to make charges in respect of vessels entering it or using facilities in it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, nairb123 said:

Nairb

Dont you think though that you have a responsibility to keep your smoke to a minimum to nil if poss?

Regardles of whether you would get fined or not?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In theory - yes.

Boats were exempt from the 'smoke' rules but this was amended a few years ago yo that the new regulations specificy include boats.

this is something else your baton twirlers were informing boaters about a few years back. 
different areas and different rules and how is a boater to know which area they are in ?

I just read thought the headlines of householders being fined and criminal record and the only regulation that was quoted was the CO emmissions from new stoves being reduced 

A tightening of emissions regulations has reduced the amount of smoke new stoves can emit per hour from 5g to 3g.

It applies to homes in "smoke control areas" which cover most of England's towns and cities. Anyone found to be breaking the new measures could be issued with an on-the-spot fine.

Log burner rule change in England could land users with £300 fines - BBC News

Edited by ditchcrawler

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed and none of the smoke control rules apply to boats - unless perhaps it's a boat on a proper residential mooring.

Boats are now included in smoke control regulations. 

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Dont you think though that you have a responsibility to keep your smoke to a minimum to nil if poss?

Regardles of whether you would get fined or not?

yes of course 

but with rules and regs changing quickly it’s difficult to keep up with it all, especially if you’re one of the ill informed 

and of course there’s the cost..

if you’re skint who’s gonna burn coffee logs if there’s shit wood to burn. 

Environment act 2021. Section 73. 

So yeah. They put it in there while convincing people they were dying of the covids.

73   Smoke control areas: amendments of the Clean Air Act 1993

Schedule 12 makes provision—

(a)for imposing financial penalties for the emission of smoke in smoke control areas in England,

(b)about offences relating to the sale and acquisition of solid fuel in England,

(c)for applying smoke control orders to vessels in England, and

(d)for authorised fuels and exempted fireplaces to be listed in Wales.

Edited by magnetman

I don't think the use of the word 'vessel' has anything to do with where it is moored other than whether or not it is in a smoke control area. Nothing to do with residential/non residential moorings. 

Look out for smoke Nazis!

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don't think the use of the word 'vessel' has anything to do with where it is moored other than whether or not it is in a smoke control area. Nothing to do with residential/non residential moorings. 

Look out for smoke Nazis!

I've just had a new multi-fuel stove installed in my hovel in the sticks of Wiltshire. Am I about to get arrested by the smoke Nazis? 

Just now, MtB said:

I've just had a new multi-fuel stove installed in my hovel in the sticks of Wiltshire. Am I about to get arrested by the smoke Nazis? 

Are you in a smoke control area ?
Does the 'new' stove meet the latest emission regs ?

Without us knowing the answer to the above questions you are the only one who can possibly know the answer.

If you are in a smoke control area I expect there will be some woke neighbours keeping an eye on this sort of thing. 

With the advent of climate change there will be an advent calendar with increasing rewards for people who report transgressors. 

I reckon when smoke control areas move into the sticks there will be quite a lot of militant action and someone is going to sit outside parliament and deliberately burn some hardwoods on a grate. 

Just now, MtB said:

How would i find out in this village is a smoke control area?

There will be a .gov webshite for this. 

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

yes of course 

but with rules and regs changing quickly it’s difficult to keep up with it all, especially if you’re one of the ill informed 

and of course there’s the cost..

if you’re skint who’s gonna burn coffee logs if there’s shit wood to burn. 

Cost is indeed an issue, I dont dispute that at all.

But that is often exactly the same no matter what steps we take to reduce emmissions and protect the environment.

Cars, heating our homes/boats, food production the list goes on.

The future is not geared up to help people who are seriously skint.

Just now, MtB said:

How would i find out in this village is a smoke control area?

Ask you council / Local Authority.

Before making a smoke control order the local authority shall publish in the London Gazette and once at least in each of two successive weeks in some newspaper circulating in the area to which the order will relate a notice—

(a)stating that the local authority propose to make the order, and its general effect;

(b)specifying a place in the district of the local authority where a copy of the order and of any map or plan referred to in it may be inspected by any person free of charge at all reasonable times during a period of not less than six weeks from the date of the last publication of the notice; and

(c)stating that within that period any person who will be affected by the order may by notice in writing to the local authority object to the making of the order.