Historic Discount License

Darrenroberts

Featured Posts

Hi guys am on a bit of a long shot mission here but...... hey times are tough. Dose any one own or formally owned a  bcn day boat, motorized or shorted, that benefited from the CRTs historic discount license? I Know there criteria is very fussy re cabin extensions. Any feed back would be great thanks.

Darren  

The criteria are tighter than they used to be. As owner of a 1936 full length motor with steel cabin conversion I have assumed I am not eligible and have not applied. But I am aware of former butties/horse boats, now shortened and motorised and with longer cabins than were normally fitted to motors, which apparently do qualify.

yeh they get very fussy re aesthetics these days. it seams totally acceptable for a major rebuild along as you leave the hold open lol.  i would of thought u being full length that would easily qualify. Iam enquiring only because my insurance company are really laying it on thick this year as my boats turning 125 year old so iam paying above odds for invasive tests every 5 mins but she's not recognized by the trust which is funny. Iam curious which old boats out there make the cut.....post cut haha 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The criteria are tighter than they used to be. As owner of a 1936 full length motor with steel cabin conversion I have assumed I am not eligible and have not applied. But I am aware of former butties/horse boats, now shortened and motorised and with longer cabins than were normally fitted to motors, which apparently do qualify.

David is pretty spot-on here, I think.

Like him we own a 1936 full length motor, with a cabin conversion, and like him we have not sought to get the discount, as by the written criteria the boat does not qualify.  Bu I am aware of others who have it for boats that don't come any closer to meeting the written requirements I find this a bit galling, (though if I haven't tried myself, I can't really blame those who have).

We do also have a 40n foot icebreaker / tug, that is pretty true to its working life from 1942 to 2000, and we get the discount for that.

There was a suggestion that CRT might change its criteria, such that if a boat qualifies for the National Historic Ships Register.  I would (obviosly!) prefer that approach as BOTH our boats qualify to be on the register.

I think even if you can find someone with a boat very similar to your own, and who gets the discount, it still in no guarantees that you might.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

David is pretty spot-on here, I think.

Like him we own a 1936 full length motor, with a cabin conversion, and like him we have not sought to get the discount, as by the written criteria the boat does not qualify.  Bu I am aware of others who have it for boats that don't come any closer to meeting the written requirements I find this a bit galling, (though if I haven't tried myself, I can't really blame those who have).

We do also have a 40n foot icebreaker / tug, that is pretty true to its working life from 1942 to 2000, and we get the discount for that.

There was a suggestion that CRT might change its criteria, such that if a boat qualifies for the National Historic Ships Register.  I would (obviosly!) prefer that approach as BOTH our boats qualify to be on the register.

I think even if you can find someone with a boat very similar to your own, and who gets the discount, it still in no guarantees that you might.

We applied for, and were granted, the historic discount for Oates last year. As an iceboat it originally had no cabin - it now has a brand new steel cabin and a tug deck. Points which they were interested in:

We absolutely had to have a National Historic Ships registration.

We had to provide a decent history file (fortunately I already had more documentation on the boat than anyone else, dating back to the 1970s, including letters to the then owner from BWB confirming its history!)

They wanted to confirm that the wooden cabin which was removed was not itself historic (it wasn't as it was not early enough to qualify as historic in its own right and had been replaced in its entirety at at least one point, documented by photographs).

I felt it was a pragmatic assessment. The historic point of interest was always the hull which is largely as built, although it did have a counter conversion in the 1970s. There were no concerns from the registering officer.

To the OP - it might be worth reviewing who you are insured with. We are required to have a survey every 5yrs and pay a relatively normal insurance premium. There do not appear to be any more restrictions/requirements/costs placed on our 150yr old boat than would be applied to a 25yr old boat. By staying with the same company they even accepted the previous owner's survey which was less than a year old at the time, rather than requiring us to have a new one.

The discount is 10%.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 2