Bubble stove diesel pump v webasto pump........

Boaty McBoaty

Featured Posts

Hello everyone.  Does anyone know the difference between the diesel pump supplying my webasto and the pump used to supply a Bubble diesel stove?  Are they fundamentally different specifically with regard to noise?  

We have a webasto in our engine room for our CH sytem with the diesel pump on the bulkhead with our back cabin which ticks loudly as everyone knows so acts as our daily alarm clock when the timer is on. 

I am considering changing the multifuel stove in the fwd saloon to a diesel Bubble and assume that it will need it's own pump installed in the engine room to supply the stove up front?  Does anyone know if that 'Bubble' pump will be noisy like the webasto pump??  i.e. I don't want to install a new system that will end up being a 24/7 alarm clock if you follow my drift?

Thanks in advance

Boaty

I think you will use a facet type pump with the Bubble which is quieter and usually mounted on rubber to isolate the sound. 

Different device to the Webasto as the Webasto has a metering pump designed to shift exactly the right amount of fuel per stroke whereas the Facet type is just a general fuel moving pump. 

It sounded like the fire was going to be in the front of the boat and the tank at the back so possibly there will be a water tank effect. Indeed some (not all) boats do tend to be slightly higher at the bows at all states of trim for aesthetic reasons. 

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

It sounded like the fire was going to be in the front of the boat and the tank at the back so possibly there will be a water tank effect. Indeed some (not all) boats do tend to be slightly higher at the bows at all states of trim for aesthetic reasons. 

A lot of retro installs use a separate diesel tank fitted in the well deck so gravity feed is achieved. This would be IMO the best way to go. Not the best idea to use the same fuel tank for engine and diesel stove.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

Thanks everyone.  Lots of good info there.  Not sure what vertical drop I have from my rear fuel tank to stove hearth and my water tank is at the front.  So will need to look at that on my next visit.  Like the idea of a day tank in the well deck and might be the easiest install as saloon is at the front of boaty and would mitigate any issues with empty water tanks etc.  So thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated and as always very helpful 🙂

Going back to the webasto metering pump noise can this be mounted on something rubber e.g. rubber bushes to stop noise transmitting?  Are there any issues with covering over it in rubber insulation of some sort e.g. overheating etc?  

Boaty

12 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A lot of retro installs use a separate diesel tank fitted in the well deck so gravity feed is achieved. This would be IMO the best way to go. Not the best idea to use the same fuel tank for engine and diesel stove.

Definitely. I have a 60 litre tank in the port well deck locker feeding my Kabola oil drip stove. It allows me to use kerosene in the stove.

This can be filled from a dedicated filler on the top of the tank, or in an emergency from the engine's diesel tank at the stern via a built in transfer pump. Using the transfer pump its a 2 person job, as the button for the transfer pump in on the engine control panel at the stern, making it impossible for one person to see when the tank is approaching full. A cut off switch at say 90% capacity would have been useful.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Same as mone except mine is under the well deck our of sight

19 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

^^^ that's a good idea - does it also work the other way round? As in transfer from the bow tank to the engine tank? (My bow diesel tank is about 150 litres, so quite a useful reserve!)

Unfortunately not, it would require a switch to change over the pump connections to reverse the pump and the transfer pipe extending to the bottom of the bow tank.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

An option that the op may not of thought about is converting his existing Fire with a diesel conversion and saving money. I’m sure there has been various Posts on here about the subject, there may be an off-the-shelf kit available for is multi fuel?

That's what our squirrel is.It's a lockgate conversion. But they ain't cheap,about a grand last time I looked (plus the tank). Dunno about other suppliers

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That's what our squirrel is.It's a lockgate conversion. But they ain't cheap,about a grand last time I looked (plus the tank). Dunno about other suppliers

I don’t know if it would be worthwhile doing as we don’t know the OP’s fire make. But may be cheaper then a full Diesel Bubble stove install, especially when installers seem to be fitting twin wall flue’s which all add up.

CE0D1756-B2A5-48D3-933F-14A84D6D9CBC.jpeg.d938bc549c3b5474f850eb81be830f23.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

I don’t know if it would be worthwhile doing as we don’t know the OP’s fire make. But may be cheaper then a full Diesel Bubble stove install, especially when installers seem to be fitting  double skin flue’s which all add up.

Ouch.

It does say 'guideline' though, so guess that means not mandatory.

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I don’t know if it would be worthwhile doing as we don’t know the OP’s fire make. But may be cheaper then a full Diesel Bubble stove install, especially when installers seem to be fitting twin wall flue’s which all add up.

That's bizarre! Surely the BSS guideline (not requirement) for twin wall flues only applies to solid fuel stoves, so not in scope for a diesel conversion.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I have a bubble stove BB1 backboiler stove going spare for some dosh if anyone wants it?