Burton Waters

Cmseasman1

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Cmseasman1 said:

What would be the difference there to where we are thinking of. Sorry if this sounds a daft question. 

I suggest whichever marina you pick you can always move at a later date if you wish.

At Farndon you can pay monthly although there is a discount for longer terms paid in advance. I don't know the terms at Burton Waters .

By the way you will need a Boat Safety Certificate . I  am guessing you didn't need that on Windermere?

He will also need to get the boat registered with C&RT and get a registration number.

The licence enforcers were always regular 'visitors' at Burton Waters, and Kings (the list of visit dates were known in advance and its amazing how many boats went out onto the river for the day)

I don't think that a licence was required at either Farndon or Newark Marina.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I had 10 years experience of the local area in both NBs and cruisers.

But maybe its not what he wants to hear.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - forgot that - the narrow low bridge just after the Town Lock heading upstream - forgot to lower the radar arch and wiped off the radome and the GPS aerial and bent the 'arch'.

Not one of my best days.

As I said @MartynG might be the best bet for upto date info, as he seams to cruise the Trent area currently.

Edited by PD1964

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think that a licence was required at either Farndon or Newark Marina.

Not sure about Newark. But in Farndon  Marina a license is not required if you don't go out on the river. So, for example , you could be licensed  for six months April to September if you wish.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not sure about Newark. But in Farndon  Marina a license is not required if you don't go out on the river. So, for example , you could be licensed  for six months April to September if you wish.

Newark definitely doesn't need a licence (we were in there once upon a time) but they do require a BSS and insurance.

I bought a boat there that was not even C&RT registered, so had to apply for a number before we could take it out of the marina.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Newark definitely doesn't need a licence (we were in there once upon a time) but they do require a BSS and insurance.

I bought a boat there that was not even C&RT registered, so had to apply for a number before we could take it out of the marina.

Our first boat was at Lowestoft and it had only lived on salty water so required a C&RT registration. A simple matter of filling in  a form back in 2008.  I expect even C&RT  have moved to an online form these days .

Oddly Farndon Marina do not ask to see evidence of insurance although perhaps that should.

My BSS expired in November 2019 and I didn't get a fresh BSS until May 2020 which was not an issue . That seems not so long ago . How time flies .

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Our first boat was at Lowestoft and it had only lived on salty water so required a C&RT registration. A simple matter of filling in  a form back in 2008.  I expect even C&RT  have moved to an online form these days .

Oddly Farndon Marina do not ask to see evidence of insurance although perhaps that should.

My BSS expired in November 2019 and I didn't get a fresh BSS until May 2020 which was not an issue . That seems not so long ago . How time flies .

I've just received a reminder email from C&RT saying my BSS is coming up for renewal - I don't think I'll bother, no one has asked to see it for 'years'

Humber Buoyage

https://www.humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary Information/Buoyage and Beaconage/buoyage.xls

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've just received a reminder email from C&RT saying my BSS is coming up for renewal - I don't think I'll bother, no one has asked to see it for 'years'

I assume you don't need BSS where you keep your boat 

19 hours ago, Cmseasman1 said:

Naughty Cal, thank you do you have any more advice. I know we can't get to Lincoln that isn't a problem at all. 

You can get to Lincoln and there are moorings just before Brayford Pool and in Brayford Pool at Lincoln that you will be able to use with an F33 you just won't be able to access the Witham through Lincoln.

You may find your options for weekend cruising a tad limited but I guess you are used to that being on a lake.

We enjoyed our time at Burton Waters. We were there for 13 years. But we had more cruising options being able to use the Witham and access the sea both ways.

Personally I wouldn't keep an F33 on the Fossdyke. If you want to stay inland only the Trent is a good option but also somewhere like Goole which has easy access to inland and tidal Waters. 

On 29/01/2023 at 17:15, Naughty Cal said:

You can get to Lincoln and there are moorings just before Brayford Pool and in Brayford Pool at Lincoln that you will be able to use with an F33 you just won't be able to access the Witham through Lincoln.

You may find your options for weekend cruising a tad limited but I guess you are used to that being on a lake.

We enjoyed our time at Burton Waters. We were there for 13 years. But we had more cruising options being able to use the Witham and access the sea both ways.

Personally I wouldn't keep an F33 on the Fossdyke. If you want to stay inland only the Trent is a good option but also somewhere like Goole which has easy access to inland and tidal Waters. 

We are going to give it a year I think and see how it goes. We definitely want inland. Can we access the Trent from the Fossdyke. 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

From Burton waters - yes but you'll need to have the leg- trim set pretty high as when I was there last I was 'in the bottom' at 3 feet (the F33 is 3' 1") so you'll be ploughing the bottom - do you have a keel band fitted ?

Im not sure to be honest I don't think we have. We are having some work done before she goes back in the water, so can get anything extra that we need sorted prior. 

6 minutes ago, Cmseasman1 said:

Im not sure to be honest I don't think we have. We are having some work done before she goes back in the water, so can get anything extra that we need sorted prior. 

Knowing the problems we had, I'd strongly suggest you have a look at Newark (there are 3 marinas in Newark) or somewhere like Goole or even Hull.

Are you planning to just scoot up and down the Trent or are you planning on 'doing' the Humber and a bit of coastal ?

Edit to add

The lock from the Foss-ditch onto the Trent is Tidal so you can only access (or leave) the Trent when there is sufficient water in the river.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because we have been on Windermere for years and I mean years. What boat did you have Alan. Only looking for inland at first till we build our confidence so probably the Trent. Not looking for coastal yet. Just somewhere we can moor up and have a wander round, some food etc. Definitely will de trying Lincoln over night. 

Knowing the problems we had, I'd strongly suggest you have a look at Newark (there are 3 marinas in Newark) or somewhere like Goole or even Hull.

Are you planning to just scoot up and down the Trent or are you planning on 'doing' the Hummer and a bit of coastal ?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Edit to add

The lock from the Foss-ditch onto the Trent is Tidal so you can only access (or leave) the Trent when there is sufficient water in the river.

And of course when there isnt too much water in the river.

52 minutes ago, Cmseasman1 said:

Can we access the Trent from the Fossdyke. 

46 minutes ago, Cmseasman1 said:

In our F33. 

Yes . Torksey Lock is at the junction of the Fossditch with the Tidal Trent.

You will need to drop the arch and antennas through Saxilby 

You will not need a keel band.

Trimming the legs up a bit is no issue is it .

Why do you favour Burton Waters ? Is it closer to home?

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Yes . Torksey Lock is at the junction of the Fossditch with the Tidal Trent.

You will need to drop the arch and antennas through Saxilby 

You will not need a keel band.

Trimming the legs up a bit is no issue is it .

Why do you favour Burton Waters ? Is it closer to home?

No, we were between Burton and York Marina, both same distance. Tried to view York and they were a bit odd on the phone. We liked Burton when we went to look round. Newark is also the same distance I phoned to view Friday they didn't get back to me we have to move from our marina by the 15th March. So we were thinking give it a year and then move next year.