Moving over Winter

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Given the close to erratic steering of my boat going through ice I wondered how two boats meeting from opposite directions would cope. 
Being only 48’ my boat tends to weave a little when breaking ice, I imagine a longer, heavier boat would keep a straighter line. Thick sheets of ice tend to push me to one side into the thinner ice. 

I was glad I didn’t meet anything coming the other way.
Mind they would have broken a path for me but I wonder how easy they’d have been to pass. 

I find my boat goes all over the place but more importantly the blacking gets destroyed .

:(

Spending this winter on the eastern K&A and it also seems quieter than usual, partly because the river Kennet has been on red boards for weeks (and likely to stay that way for a while yet) and Crofton is closed all winter too. 

9 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

I find my boat goes all over the place but more importantly the blacking gets destroyed .

:(

Only a long strip of blacking along the water line gets destroyed. 
Hardly anything. 

…but possibly a most important area 😃

I got to admit it I didn’t enjoy it at all going through the ice last week. 
Tipton was fine and down the locks and it was Ok. 
Passed Caggy’s Yard and that’s when I hit what I’d call thick ice. It bought me to a stop in places and I had to reverse and charge it. 
 Like I said before layers that had broken and after overlapping refrozen thicker. 

You’d have loved it in Clarrie 🤣🤣

• Greenie 1