Dozens of shopping trolleys and other unusual items removed from canal in single clean-up sweep

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

This highlights some major difficiencies in our equality and welfare legislation.  

All shoppers should be required to treat their shopping trolley as they would their dog(s).  They should be brought to the shop and taken home again where they should be properly housed and looked after.  Where infrequently used for shopping, they should be taken for walks in the park, whereby their owners' health will be improved immensely, reducing the burden on the NHS.

This will require the ending of the current monopoly of design (which is a monopoly so must be bad) in favour of collapsible variations which can be easily fitted into cars, and all cars should be required to have provision for storing them.

This will not help with the discarding of broken trollies, so a trolley exchange scheme with no questions asked, should be set up, funded by local councils who will receive an extra grant of 4s 6d from central government to cover it.

Finally, it should be illegal to use a car without a fully working trolley in good condition fitted.  The RAC & AA should carry spare trollies to support drivers whose trollies fail while travelling.

28 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

This highlights some major difficiencies in our equality and welfare legislation.  

All shoppers should be required to treat their shopping trolley as they would their dog(s).  They should be brought to the shop and taken home again where they should be properly housed and looked after.  Where infrequently used for shopping, they should be taken for walks in the park, whereby their owners' health will be improved immensely, reducing the burden on the NHS.

This will require the ending of the current monopoly of design (which is a monopoly so must be bad) in favour of collapsible variations which can be easily fitted into cars, and all cars should be required to have provision for storing them.

This will not help with the discarding of broken trollies, so a trolley exchange scheme with no questions asked, should be set up, funded by local councils who will receive an extra grant of 4s 6d from central government to cover it.

Finally, it should be illegal to use a car without a fully working trolley in good condition fitted.  The RAC & AA should carry spare trollies to support drivers whose trollies fail while travelling.

Neglected trolleys will form feral packs, roaming the neighbourhood and menacing dogs, cats and small children. Some people are just not up to the responsibility of caring for a supermarket trolley.

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you actually opened the link ?

The Stewpony team found 50 shopping trolleys in the water, which could have caused problems for boaters.

The trolleys could have easily caused issues for boaters (Photo: Twitter/Canal & River Trust West Midlands)

Trolleys disproving the "Life's Better by Water" slogan.

It is amazing how satisfying a big splash can be. 

I would suggest people throwing them in water are subjected to the same procedure by random passers by and this to be subject to community awards and YouTube clips. 

That'll show 'em. 

What I do is take the trolley back to the store, get my £1 back and throw it in the canal. Real rebel me. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

What I do is take the trolley back to the store, get my £1 back and throw it in the canal. Real rebel me. 

I've fished dozens of trolleys out of canals, and I've never yet had one with a quid in it.  You must have a better class of louts near you!

20 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've fished dozens of trolleys out of canals, and I've never yet had one with a quid in it.  You must have a better class of louts near you!

This is the problem with catch & release, someone has already caught it, had the quid, and Rex Hunt’d it. 

1 hour ago, Oddjob said:

I had a under wired bra on the prop that took some getting off 

I seem to recall from my teenage years that it’s all in the thumb technique ;) 

On 29/01/2023 at 13:06, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It was more complicated than that. The original increase in the number of cones came after the EU introduced Set-Aside, where farmers were paid to take land out of use.

France found a different use for Set-Aside land. Almost anywhere you drive you will suddenly come across a roundabout, one with no other roads than the one you are on and fields off to each side. We decided that there must be warehouses full of them, and local départements can use them to decorate roads that otherwise might be a bit boring.

Tam

• Greenie 1