"Belmont"

Hastings

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jubbly said:

Late Doris – family related. Wolverton early 60s with transistor radio.

So when did the Collins family switch to the Belmont then, please?

I assumed, (perhaps wrongly) that it would not have been until maybe the mid 1960s.

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So when did the Collins family switch to the Belmont then, please?

I assumed, (perhaps wrongly) that it would not have been until maybe the mid 1960s.

Both Stanton and Belmont were aquired by Blue Line in 1965 and were worked by Jim and Doris Collins, until trading ceased in 1970. 

31 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Both Stanton and Belmont were aquired by Blue Line in 1965 and were worked by Jim and Doris Collins, until trading ceased in 1970. 

Although being strictly pedantic, (when wouldn't I?), Belmont didn't carry to the very end.  It was considered to be in sufficiently poor condition that it should not be loaded, and at least their final trip was done with Stanton alone, operating single motor.

It is on occasions recorded that Blue Line had acquired three ex BW buttys,  with the intention of replacing Belmont as well as the wooden boats Lucy and Raymond.  (Obviously this would have been before the Jam 'Ole traffic ended).  However I'm sure I have seen other places where that story is contested.