"Belmont"

Hastings

Featured Posts

Does anybody know the current status of GU 'Town' class BELMONT?  I'm about to publish a book of colour photos taken all round the canal system in the 1950s-1970s.  One photo, taken in 1965, shows STANTON and BELMONT breasted up just having worked up through Lot Mead Lock at Rickmansworth.  They are painted in Blue Line livery, having recently been acquired by them.  I know that STANTON is still around, and regularly attends events - but what is the current position for BELMONT?  I saw it when it was a static exhibit many years ago at the now closed Snibston Discovery Park in Leicestershire, and it was in a very sorry state then.  Did it survive, and, if so, what's the latest?  I'd like to put a brief comment in the caption to the picture. 

Edited by Hastings

That brings back a memory - I saw it there too. I remember Snibston when it was a working colliery, as at one time I used to go past it on the 'bus on my way to Ashby Boys' Grammar School.

Who owned the Discovery Park? The council? They might know what became of the exhibits.

When it finished running for Blue Line it was moored by the Braunston yard Bridge and Jim and Mrs Collins lived on board. Jim told me he could lay in bed and see the church clock!  Eventually it was given back to BWB and went to Blisworth yard and put out to tender so I went and looked. The whole back end was rotten with visible holes in the sides and beyond economic repair. I remember  seeing it on the bank near Bedworth where it stayed for some time with nothing seeming to get done. Not sure where it is now or what’s left of it.

• Greenie 1

After the closing of Snibstone the council were actively searching for a new home for her.

For a reason I have never understood, they contacted me and asked if I would be supportive of her going to The Ashby Canal Association at Snarestone Wharf.

I supported the proposal, and have no idea what happened after.

My (very faded) memory is also that the team at Brinklow Boat Services, (so including Steve Priest) were responsible for saving her at the last moment, but I never knew any details.  I don't think she is at their yard on the Stretton arm, (they are usually pretty strapped for space there).

I'd suggest contacting Steve, Simon or Dave

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

My (very faded) memory is also that the team at Brinklow Boat Services, (so including Steve Priest) were responsible for saving her at the last moment, but I never knew any details.  I don't think she is at their yard on the Stretton arm, (they are usually pretty strapped for space there).

I'd suggest contacting Steve, Simon or Dave

Thanks, Alan, I'll contact them

Peter

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

Last I heard, it had gone to a waterway restoration charity and was going to have its colander repaired.

Mr #stagedamager might know more.

Hi all, 

all i can add is that Brinklow were involved of the removal and re-siting, i thought she had ventured out towards Tuckeys?? maybe and that she was in safe hands.

Kind regards

Dan

1 minute ago, stagedamager said:

Hi all, 

all i can add is that Brinklow were involved of the removal and re-siting, i thought she had ventured out towards Tuckeys?? maybe and that she was in safe hands.

Kind regards

Dan

I will ask Tuckeys in a bit then 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Perhaps an EKCO radio. this looks a bit similar although not the same model.

(Random Google image)

default.jpg

Did they run on an accumulator or batteries? I doubt it’s a radio as the only electricity in the butty would be a 12 volt battery for the lights.

Apparently this one was a portable from the 1950s so running on its own battery. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=78631&d=1365

From vintage radio.net forums. 

The one on the cabin slide is a different design but it does seem to have the look of a wireless. 

Or maybe it is a field telephone with a wire running to the motor. That would be a bit "organised" but not beyond the realms of possibility so the wife could tell the husband what to do ;)

Ye Olde PMR radio. 

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Looking smart!

I struggle to see that as Doris Collins, although as it is Belmont, it surely must be.

What is it on top of the slide?  A radio, possibly?

I didn't have to struggle at all to recognise Doris Collins.

• Greenie 2