Modern 12v Router

JoeC

Featured Posts

Hello.

Could anybody recommend a modern / current model of a 12v powered router that has 4 LAN ports for my boat. Does not need to have 5G.

Thanks

Joe

Edited by JoeC
added that it does not need to be 5G.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

12V router.

No LAN ports though.

104398_xl.jpg

I've always maintained that the device which provide internet from an antenna should be called a modem and this confirms it.

After all, you refer to a cable modem when it is in the home, not a cable router.

Search for a plunge router online and you might come back with one which can be dipped in the canal when it overheats 😂

But another vote for the B535. With a decent external antenna.

• 2 months later...

I've got the B535 but just run it on 230v. Is there any advantage to running it on 12v if you've got the inverter on all the time anyway to run other appliances like a mains fridge?

18 minutes ago, Ca Jon said:

so great to be a part of this group, you guys are awesome!!

I think I am going for the B535, Any advice on a decent antenna?

This was the one recommended to me a couple of years ago. It's very good.

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna https://amzn.eu/d/0vpi0za

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've got the B535 but just run it on 230v. Is there any advantage to running it on 12v if you've got the inverter on all the time anyway to run other appliances like a mains fridge?

This was the one recommended to me a couple of years ago. It's very good.

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna https://amzn.eu/d/0vpi0za

Thank you. I was just looking at that same one!  

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Nope.

I've just changed my b525 to 12V to try and get more things off the mains. The other benefit is that when plugged into the landline and some numpty trips the mains, the internet stays on.

We also use the xpol, but i reckon there are better options out there now, but with a higher price tag.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Nope.

I've just changed my b525 to 12V to try and get more things off the mains. The other benefit is that when plugged into the landline and some numpty trips the mains, the internet stays on.

We also use the xpol, but i reckon there are better options out there now, but with a higher price tag.

Thanks. I'm largely off shore power now and on panels/inverter so I'll leave my router on mains as the inverter is always on anyway.

On 27/01/2023 at 13:01, Puffling said:

I've always maintained that the device which provide internet from an antenna should be called a modem and this confirms it.

After all, you refer to a cable modem when it is in the home, not a cable router.

Search for a plunge router online and you might come back with one which can be dipped in the canal when it overheats 😂

But another vote for the B535. With a decent external antenna.

Actually, its technically correct to call it a bridge. (A bridge joins two physically different styles of network together). Its also a router, because if you plugged computer A into port 1 and computer B into port 2, A and B could communicate without the signal going over the air, ie it routes the signal from one to the other. If it did this over a dedicated space, rather than using a common space that eg ports 3 and 4 could see too, its a switched router.

Its not a modem because for 3G and onwards technologies, its a purely digital domain. If it were an ADSL router, it could also be called a modem because they do use high frequencies over the copper wire similar to older, slower modems where those frequencies fell in the hearing range of a human being.

Edited by Paul C

32 minutes ago, Ca Jon said:

Thank you. I was just looking at that same one!  

I have been searching for  the B535 and there are at least two different ones  B535 - 232 and B535 - 333. Which one?

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Not the 232, no aeriel sockets on rear.

Are you sure? I'm sure my 232 had aerial sockets.

The thing to check is what bands they cover you need bands 1,3 and 20

The 232 is only a cat 7 router the 333 is cat 13 so theoretically faster. 

7 hours ago, Paul C said:

Actually, its technically correct to call it a bridge. (A bridge joins two physically different styles of network together). Its also a router, because if you plugged computer A into port 1 and computer B into port 2, A and B could communicate without the signal going over the air, ie it routes the signal from one to the other. If it did this over a dedicated space, rather than using a common space that eg ports 3 and 4 could see too, its a switched router.

Its not a modem because for 3G and onwards technologies, its a purely digital domain. If it were an ADSL router, it could also be called a modem because they do use high frequencies over the copper wire similar to older, slower modems where those frequencies fell in the hearing range of a human being.

It certainly *is* a modem, 3G/4G/5G systems use QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) to encode multiple data bits onto each complex RF symbol, for example up to 10b per symbol with QAM1024 for 5G, using DACs to generate the RF signal and ADCs to receive it. The baud rate (symbol rate) sets the bandwidth that is used, and the two multiplied together (bits/symbol*baud rate) sets the overall data rate. They also use FEC (Forward Error Correction) to add extra error-correcting bits to the data so that even with a significant BER (Bit Error Rate) the decoded data is error-free.

https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/modulation-coding-speeds

Incidentally exactly the same method is used for sending optical data over the telecomms/datacomms networks (Internet), except the baud rates and bandwidths are slightly higher -- the transciever chip we're currently testing runs at up to 140Gbaud, and can transmit up to 1.2Tb/s in a 300GHz bandwidth channel using modified QAM64...

Edited by IanD