Looking for ground gear

Laurencr

Featured Posts

Try asking at a CRT yard such as Hatton, they are probably in the best position to advise you. I doubt you would have any success contacting them through the usual customer service though. 

Heeheehee I love the idea of building a lock in your garden 😀

I'd be very tempted to build a look-a-like winding mechanism, have a look around a proper scrap yard, not a car breakers, chances are you could find gears, racks, dogs and pawls. Possibly find some big channel and put something together that'd look great...

Should I claim that the ground paddle gear that CaRT have for sale are the ones with yellow sacks over them? No, that would be very naughty indeed. 😁

For maximum authenticity, the OP just needs a yellow sack to hide whatever is underneath.

20210514_164523.jpg

Picture by @magpie patrick from this thread.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Should I claim that the ground paddle gear that CaRT have for sale are the ones with yellow sacks over them? No, that would be very naughty indeed. 😁

For maximum authenticity, the OP just needs a yellow sack to hide whatever is underneath.

Picture by @magpie patrick from this thread.

All one needs is a wooden post and a yellow bag for that!

On a more serious note for the OP - the answer is that most canal societies can't get authentic ones either, the days of midnight raids to abandoned canals are long gone - CRT have some stock but I guess won't want to sell it, on the Coal Canal we have talked about making our own. 

I did have one once, that an elderly society member had rescued from Combe Hay - I wanted to put it up in the garden but my then wife wouldn't let me. I wish I'd kept the paddle gear, I probably miss it more than the ex ;)  

36 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

CRT have some stock but I guess won't want to sell it,

Presumably from time to time CRT must get new paddle gear made - the racks, cogs and spindles at least, even if not the stanchions. So the right person at CRT should be able to say who their supplier is.

I used to regularly get old racks and pinions from lock gear out with the magnet. Never kept them as after a while ones boat would sink. 

This was on the Grand Union. These days quite a lot of people seem to have magnets so they -might- occasionally get them and leave on towpath. 

I don't do magging any more and haven't done for quite a few yars. 

Edited by magnetman

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Presumably from time to time CRT must get new paddle gear made - the racks, cogs and spindles at least, even if not the stanchions. So the right person at CRT should be able to say who their supplier is.

In days gone by when things were replaced a lot of the old stuff just went in the cut near the lock. I suppose haulage and scrap value made it worthless. Apparently there is some good quality iron in the castings. 

I was told by a BW chap some yars ago that the metal parts of the paddle gear used these days come from the far east. 

It seems to be plausible although I don't know for sure. 

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

All one needs is a wooden post and a yellow bag for that!

On a more serious note for the OP - the answer is that most canal societies can't get authentic ones either, the days of midnight raids to abandoned canals are long gone - CRT have some stock but I guess won't want to sell it, on the Coal Canal we have talked about making our own. 

I did have one once, that an elderly society member had rescued from Combe Hay - I wanted to put it up in the garden but my then wife wouldn't let me. I wish I'd kept the paddle gear, I probably miss it more than the ex ;)  

I think the Cotswold Canl built their own

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Got a similar story.

Once bought a brand new Velocette Venom motorbike built entirely from new parts.Intended to get it on the road at some point, but in the meantime I kept it in my living room against the wall with a table largely hiding it. She was ok with it for a time, but eventually started giving me ear ache about it, culminating in "either that thing goes or I do"

Stupidly I sold the bike, and the relationship with this female ended some time later.

I have cursed myself ever since for being so weak.

• Greenie 1

On 28/01/2023 at 12:18, Mad Harold said:

Once bought a brand new Velocette Venom motorbike built entirely from new parts.Intended to get it on the road at some point, but in the meantime I kept it in my living room against the wall with a table largely hiding it. She was ok with it for a time, but eventually started giving me ear ache about it, culminating in "either that thing goes or 

Velocette Venom was, from the pretty side, one of the best looking bikes ever made.

On 27/01/2023 at 00:11, Laurencr said:

Hi dose any one know where I could purchase an old lock gear of any style 

not working is fine as I’m recreating a lock on my land at home 

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Would new paddle gear be of any interest?

I ask because one of those near-impossible coincidences happened today. I was chatting with a customer and conversation turned to canals and boats. He said his company does quite a lot of work for CRT, making paddle gear for them. Yes, really!!!! 

So if you'd like his phone number PM me. He said it was fine for me to pass it on to you if you're interested, and he'll make up some gear for your garden lock. 

• Greenie 2

Hi, yes I would be very interested it’s funny how things sometimes come about please send me his phone number

Hi, yes I would be very interested it’s funny how things sometimes come about please send me his phone number 

As I have not posted more than 10 times, I cannot send you a personal message I would like his phone number

3 minutes ago, Laurencr said:

As I have not posted more than 10 times, I cannot send you a personal message I would like his phone number

Ah ok. Hang on a sec....