Sheffield Moorings. Don’t Bother, Calder Valley Marine.

PD1964

Featured Posts

It’s with a bit of a sad thing to say, but today the management(C.V. Marine) closed the showers in the facilities. Having put up the mooring fees, Electric prices for berth holders and stating times are changing. They’ve found there’s no alternative to put in a pre-pay token shower system.

Problem is they’ve closed it full stop to Moorers and visiting boats, Just asked why there couldn’t be be an instant switch over? C.V Marine not bothered or not intelligent enough. So no Showers at Sheffield.

The Moorers take it will be weeks before the switch as they’ve heard all the “Gunna” before 😂 CV. Marine in Sheffield are a total Joke. 
  I take it they’ve little interest in their customers(moorers) elsewhere once they’ve got their money?

Edited by PD1964

Just now, matty40s said:

Dont most boats have showers on board, is this just a luxury some were abusing?

Yes, but you’ve got to give your Moorers a little perk, especially when there’s nothing else. The so called Office hasn’t even got a contact number on?? The owner bulls about the place, but in reality it’s a berth that’s it, once you step off it’s anyone’s\public

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Dont most boats have showers on board, is this just a luxury some were abusing?

Sorry, a couple of boaters use the shower’s, the problem is everything is on a CaRT Key. So open to the Cafe, Walkers and Cyclists all using the facilities, the Moorers are taking the hit. He has no Balls to lock on a paying moorers only key.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

No, I have a shower on my boat.

£3200 for a mooring oop North is decidedly expensive, move South and get one for £2.5k with a customer shower block.

Yes, The owner is taking the P!$$, having failed with other businesses he has hit his long term moorers, as useless in business.

Well I suggest you either protest, threaten to move out, move  out, or both, all everything. 

Tell you what, I wont post any more on here so you can plan ahead and not waste any more time multi answering my posts. 

If I think of something else useful, I may post again.

👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes, The owner is taking the P!$$, having failed with other businesses he has hit his long term moorers, as useless in business.

Just checked the price at Mercia where we used to moor. For our 60ft boat it would be £200 more per year. At £3,400.

But, and its a big but it was/is a fantastic full service marina. Fully secured from non boaters but with a huge range of facilities including cafe, pub and shops.

It's not for everyone, its big, very big but very well run and managed. We only moved further North to save journey to boat time.

£3,200 for mooring there sounds like the site owner is taking the pee.

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Just checked the price at Mercia where we used to moor. For our 60ft boat it would be £200 more per year. At £3,400.

But, and its a big but it was/is a fantastic full service marina. Fully secured from non boaters but with a huge range of facilities including cafe, pub and shops.

It's not for everyone, its big, very big but very well run and managed. We only moved further North to save journey to boat time.

£3,200 for mooring there sounds like the site owner is taking the pee.

Especially when they only control the water space and control Zilch car parking and security, anyone with a CaRT key can flush/wash/Elsen to their hearts content, the Moorers just want some value, but as the Company say. “If they don’t like it they can leave”  Customer/Moorers value means nothing to a Mickey Mouse run company.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Well I suggest you either protest, threaten to move out, move  out, or both, all everything. 

Tell you what, I wont post any more on here so you can plan ahead and not waste any more time multi answering my posts. 

If I think of something else useful, I may post again.

👍

👍

Edited by PD1964

I've never understood this obsession some boaters have with shower blocks. 

Like Matty says, any half decent boat has a shower in it anyway. Why does any boater need a shower block on the bank? 

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Yes, but you’ve got to give your Moorers a little perk, especially when there’s nothing else.

Have you? 

Where does it say that then?

Just now, MtB said:

Like Matty says, any half decent boat has a shower in it anyway. Why does any boater need a shower block on the bank? 

Yes, but it would be nice for the moorers to get something as they get sod all else apart from a mooring in what is touted as a Marina.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Yes, but it would be nice for the moorers to get something as they get sod all else apart from a mooring in what is touted as a Marina.

Blimey, calm down! 

Lemme guess, your boat doesn't have any ablution facilites in it....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Blimey, calm down! 

Lemme guess, your boat doesn't have any ablution facilites in it....

It has everything, but when the facilities are being taken away that’s another thing. The showers have been locked, what would of been better is that the “pay per Shower” meter be installed straight away. So not stopping the Moorers from using them. I take it your not a livaboard?

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

It has everything, but when the facilities are being taken away that’s another thing. The showers have been locked, what would of been better is that the “pay per Shower” meter be installed straight away. So not stopping the Moorers from using them. I take it your not a livaboard?

Not these days, no. Have done for years though and not in a marina. How about you?

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not these days, no. Have done for years though and not in a marina. How about you?

So basicly you have no grasp of the complaint @PD1964 is making.

So why did you chime in to this thread?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Yes I livaboard, and pay my way, but when I see facilities being taken away while moorings going up and elect also I would want Moorers to be looked after. The biggest issue is, is that they have closed the showers, if they had installed the “pay per shower” same day no probs you still have the facility(use it or not) but to close and not know when they will reopen is a joke.

36 minutes ago, M_JG said:

So basicly you have no grasp of the complaint @PD1964 is making.

So why did you chime in to this thread?

One of my gripes is with CV Marine, as they are taken away services while at the same time putting the costs up. They also run Shepley Bridge and Saville Town Wharf Dewsbury, Is it the same there, that moorers never see anyone or never get a response to emails/calls? The shower issue is typical of them, “we’ll do what we want and if you don’t like it leave” A sad way to run a Marina. No sorry Sheffield is not a Marina just a boat park, C.V marine have absolutely no say to what goes on in the Quays.

Edited by PD1964

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Have you? 

Where does it say that then?

It's not just boaters.

Motorhome and caravan owners are exactly the same. 

I have absolutely no idea why when they have showers and toilets onboard.

Crazy. You see them all trudging to the toilet block every morning. When they could just open the bathroom door and have a shower there in the peace of their own (mobile) home.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's not just boaters.

Motorhome and caravan owners are exactly the same. 

I have absolutely no idea why when they have showers and toilets onboard.

Crazy. You see them all trudging to the toilet block every morning. When they could just open the bathroom door and have a shower there in the peace of their own (mobile) home.

As I say people will use their showers onboard, It’s closing the showers full stop with no date to install the pre paid meter. They could of fitted a meter in a day, now the showers will be closed for weeks.

Speaking of motor homes, the showers and elsen disposal are often used by them and Vanlife people, as everyone has a B&W key, but it’s the Moorers that are footing the Bill, hence the increase in moorings. 

The objection I have to this sort of thing is that these facilities were all built by BW for the use of all boaters. Then they lease the site off and the facilities are then denied to other than moorers.

As the OP said Shepley Bridge is also now CV Marine. When we last used them about 4 years ago it still had BW or CRT signage but we're told (after we'd used them) that they are no longer open for all.

On 02/02/2023 at 04:11, pearley said:

The objection I have to this sort of thing is that these facilities were all built by BW for the use of all boaters. Then they lease the site off and the facilities are then denied to other than moorers.

As the OP said Shepley Bridge is also now CV Marine. When we last used them about 4 years ago it still had BW or CRT signage but we're told (after we'd used them) that they are no longer open for all.

Not sure that is the case. The previous owner once told me the services belonged to the marina but after an enquiry, C&RT confirmed the services were open to all. I've not heard of any changes but I will find out.

I thought the facilities at Sheffield were originally provided by BW/CRT for the use of all boaters including visitors hence the CRT key on the doors. I've no idea but maybe some arrangement in the lease to CV Marine says that the facilities should be available to visiting boaters and some financial transaction takes place. It would be a shame if visiting boaters couldn't use the elsan.

The general misuse and availability of CRT keys is a different issue. Maybe CRT should change the locks (all of them?? Howmuch would that cost?) and keep a tighter control on the issue of new keys.