Featured Posts

Meet my baby, Cassie. She is a Wavey rider wanderer and she is a beautiful little live- aboard. Currently on a hard stand for the winter, getting new interiors and a coat of paint ready for our spring trips. 

Thought I'd share her journey online and look forward to swapping stories and photos with you all!

#weloveyouall

received_1332099000654019.jpeg

• Greenie 2

Nice little boat.Suggest you install some form of heating as even in summer you get some chilly nights.A warm air diesel heater is usually the choice in a grp boat.

Looked at one for sale some time ago, and if memory serves, it was wider than6'-10", if so,you will not get it through narrow locks.

• Love 1

I do have a little plug in heater that's been working a treat this winter, but I am on a hard stand so will look into other heaters, I was thinking about a little log burner...

She was fine when I travelled down the main UK canal lines with tunnels and bridges ect and is alot smaller then most of the boats in my yard so I assumed she'd be ok? I will be having to test her weight ect when I get her dropped back in the water though.

• Happy 1

I've seen those before. Nice. as said heating is a bit priority.

You could put a wood stove in there but be careful with the roof collar as it is GRP. I've had miniature wood stoves on two different small GRP boats. It can work but the diminutive size of the fire tends to mean you can't keep it in overnight.

Worth considering though. Search terms like gypsy caravan, pot belly or bell tent stove turn up some interesting items on eBay.

Its is a very small boat so I don't think any problems with the air draft.

What engine do you have on it?

On 26/01/2023 at 12:25, Mad Harold said:

If memory serves, it was wider than6'-10", if so,you will not get it through narrow locks.

On 26/01/2023 at 12:25, rusty69 said:

That looks like a massive air draft. Will you have any trouble getting under bridges? 

The Wavey Rider Wanderer is much smaller than perhaps the photo suggests. It was designed for narrow canals and has a 6'10" beam. The overall height is about the same as most narrow boats. There were lots of them around on the narrow canals in the 1980's.

• Happy 1

45 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

The Wavey Rider Wanderer is much smaller than perhaps the photo suggests. It was designed for narrow canals and has a 6'10" beam. The overall height is about the same as most narrow boats. There were lots of them around on the narrow canals in the 1980's.

Your're right about the beam.Got it confused with a Weston, which looks similar.

It's an age thing!  😜

I understand that the sale of new pot-bellied stoves is now prohibited as they are not sufficiently efficient, so you would need to find one second-hand. The heritage railway where I volunteer needed a replacement one last year and discovered this. They ended up fitting the old one with a red LED  light for cosmetic effect and stuck a fan heater under it. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, magnetman said:

9kw seems a bit large 

I'd be looking for 1kw although that is difficult to achieve with a wood stove. 

A small tall square one DIY made from box section could work but watch the flue size. 

It was the first one I saw to show potbelly are still available

Whrn I looked on-line last year I found a couple of sites that advertised pot belly stoves, but on ringing to check availability it turned out that I had been looking at  old versions of their web sites that for some reason were still on the web.   They confirmed tfat they were no longer allowed to sell them. 

On the other hand it could be that they still have stock that they would like to dispose of,  despite the regulations.  A local one-man electrical shop near me (but not in the main shopping centre),  still has a bin of 60W  tungsten GLS lamp bulbs on open sale, despite their sale having been prohibited for some years, and they are not the special "rough service" bulbs that I think are still allowed. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

I put this together with a talented welder a few months ago. A bit big for a tiny boat but it works well. Maybe food for thought. 

Maybe make it top loading as might be a difficult to find a small porthole. I have a similar one in the other boat which is top loading. 

That's 8 inch box and 70mm flue. Would be interesting to try it in 4 inch box and maybe a 60mm flue. Go below 60mm and you might get problems burning wood. 

IMG_20230110_225039.jpg.b631f33104a3d3679352aff8e3240246.jpg

There were some eBay ones called bell tent stoves but no idea how good they are in reality. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.7c21ad80a727ca1ae0b133285cdb6218.png

I tried that site just now. It says to call them, but I couldn't find a phone number anywhere, just an enquiry form, the link to their T&C's doesn't work, and their latest blog entry is 2015.

This might be the dead site I found last year: the prices look far too cheap to be  current products. I will be pleased if I am wrong!

Edited by Ronaldo47

Clicking the link, (for which I got a warning that the site was not secure), did get me to the pot-bellied stove. However, on clicking the site's HOME tab, the product line is found to consist only of radiators and baths. So it looks like another fossilised web page.  I would be happy to be wrong. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

• 2 months later...