How should I sell my boat?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

The last thing I want when I'm looking over a boat to consider buying it is the owner or a broker at my elbow the whole time prattling away at me.

When we bought our boat, after a couple of years doing the keyball juggle at whilton,we went to cowroast marina to look. Like Whilton, at the time, they allowed you to view the boats unaccompanied. Our soon to be boat was moored stern too, and whilst I was busy looking at the engine Mrs R had conducted a whole tour of the boat in 30 seconds flat, and declared "Right, we'll have this one", before I had even had a chance to look at the thing.

It did teach me a valuable lesson though, as a few years later when viewing sailboats Mrs R had an accompanied tour of a rather lovely boat (which we didn't buy), whilst I was handing over the cash for the one we did buy.

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

2 boats down from me Camelot is for sale, it's a big boat 76 x 16.5 I think? Rob I think is doing what you dont like, Paul from Boatshed leaves the buyers to it but up to press neither method has got a sale

Say "Hi" to Rob for me.

He had huge problems when he left Kings Marina and (if the stories are true) almost sunk several times due to hull leaks.

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Say "Hi" to Rob for me.

He had huge problems when he left Kings Marina and (if the stories are true) almost sunk several times due to hull leaks.

He went to France in it! He has never mentioned problems with leaks or near sinking, so hopefully it's just rumours? I met them both many times before they came to Tullys to sell it, really nice couple. I suspect that they might have to move back on board shortly if she doesn't sell, as their house is getting sold shortly. 

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

He went to France in it! He has never mentioned problems with leaks or near sinking, so hopefully it's just rumours? I met them both many times before they came to Tullys to sell it, really nice couple. I suspect that they might have to move back on board shortly if she doesn't sell, as their house is getting sold shortly. 

When he left Kings and set off down the Trent and Humber his plans were to turn right and head South, then once he got to Norfolk he was going to turn left and head for the Netherlands.

A few weeks later he was back having had some 'serious water ingress' and had to beach it and he was now trying to find somewhere he could get lifted, or a dry dock to get the repairs done.

We left Kings soon after and although we had a few phone calls to each other sorta lost touch, but, stories of his exploits trickled back to us.

• Greenie 1

On 26/01/2023 at 13:16, alan_fincher said:

If you don't use a broker don't underestimate the time you would spend letting "fender kickers" look at the boat, nor what the  costs to you might be driving to it repeatedly.  A definite argument for not dumping it in London, I think.

I was aware that fender-kickers might be a problem when we put our ex-working boat up for sale.  I put a brief advert on ApolloDuck and passed the news by word of mouth.  When the phone enquiries started I asked the person if they'd seen the very detailed website I'd set up describing the boat, its history and all the work that had been done over the years.  

I suggested that they study the website and come back to me with any questions. 

That approach whittled the field down to three serious enquirers (plus someone who wanted the mooring, not the boat!).

Edited by koukouvagia

21 hours ago, Tonka said:

Have you thought about selling raffle tickets. Winner gets boat

Is this for me?

I can see the potential but what if I fail to sell enough tickets?

Those house raffle things work because the companies doing it have a big reach and advertising budget.

It could be a money-spinner though I suppose?  £2 a ticket maybe?

I'd like about £45k for my boat so if I sold 23,000 or more tickets, then I'm winning.  Are there 23,000 people who would buy a raffle ticket for a boat?

21 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I was aware that fender-kickers might be a problem when we put our ex-working boat up for sale.  I put a brief advert on ApolloDuck and passed the news by word of mouth.  When the phone enquiries started I asked the person if they'd seen the very detailed website I'd set up describing the boat, its history and all the work that had been done over the years.  

I suggested that they study the website and come back to me with any questions. 

That approach whittled the field down to three serious enquirers (plus someone who wanted the mooring, not the boat!).

I quite like this approach.

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

Is this for me?

Those house raffle things work because the companies doing it have a big reach and advertising budget.

It could be a money-spinner though I suppose?  £2 a ticket maybe?

I'd like about £45k for my boat so if I sold 23,000 or more tickets, then I'm winning.  Are there 23,000 people who would buy a raffle ticket for a boat?

I think if you used social media you might have a chance, you could offer the repaint in the winners choice of a range offered by yourself? And maybe  a fiver a ticket?

5 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

We have been in one of those 'house raffles' and if you read the small print they say if they do not sell enough tickets to achieve the value of the house +X% (cover expenses, make charity donation etc) then there is no draw and all the money goes to cover expenses and the rest is paid to the charity.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Boats for sale section on here might be a good start.

Where 20 fender kickers will see the advert, for sure!

Has anyone actually ever sold a boat from the "For Sale" section on here without advertising it elsewhere?

I rather doubt it. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Has anyone actually ever sold a boat from the "For Sale" section on here without advertising it elsewhere?

I rather doubt it. 

Yes - they were the only ones answering the AD and they bought it, ( a couple of days before Christmas)  no survey, paid cash, climbed aboard and headed for London. 

Apparently starter battery failed near Northampton but apart from that arrived safely and enjoyed the liveaboard lfe, (It was only 30 foot !)

I accept it was just 'luck' that someone was looking at the for sale ads just when I posted it, and, that it met their budget and requirements.

I don't know  how long the for sale ads stop on the forum - maybe it is still in the archives ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 2

4 hours ago, MtB said:

I rather doubt it. 

Always a first time. Let’s have a raffle to see if it sells.👍

On 26/01/2023 at 22:50, ditchcrawler said:

Just mention it on Facebook and there will be a queue by the door.

We sold ours on “Apollo duck” within 4 weeks we were moored in Market Harbrough on an extended stay due to my hospital visits. Boat taken away from there and we stayed in a abnb for a month before returning to our home in Goa India. Miss the boat life after 3 years of moving almost every day. However now in Australia visit our 2 boys and planning another round the island lol road trip last one 9 years ago lasted 4 months and over 17,000 miles. Trip to take place mid 2024 like cc’ing but on land lol