Relay switches

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok fair enough 

I thought dcdc chargers were supposed to be the dogs at proper charging?

I can easily be persuaded to save my beer money. 

My relay has lasted me 10 years, and how long it was on the boat before that who knows?

I would quite willingly put another on, but bigger.

but if there’s something better?

That is exactly what Mr Sterling etc. want you to think. There is a place for them in very modern vehicles where the engine ECU controls the alternator but apart from that if they make a SIGNIFICANT difference it is very likely that it has just covered up a charging system fault, like undersized wiring or used to replace a passive split charge diode. However, in that case I would simply fit a VSR rather than B to B.

You will find a lot of people will swear that such things have made a difference but I have yet to be convinced that they did not have a faulty system, or they are trying to justify the money they spent on it to themselves. A B to B or an advanced controller will make a difference but not as much as the marketing boys would like you to think.

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok fair enough 

I thought dcdc chargers were supposed to be the dogs at proper charging?

I can easily be persuaded to save my beer money. 

My relay has lasted me 10 years, and how long it was on the boat before that who knows?

I would quite willingly put another on, but bigger.

but if there’s something better?

I think it is not just me saying a VSR. I fitted a (nominal) 140 amp Cargo VSR. Then you will be ready to charge both banks from solar or a mains charge if you have them

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just to add, it’s been unstuck for now and appears Open again. 

Obviously on it’s way out and being temperamentally ‘sticky’ 

perhaps gives me more time to source a replacement.

Just make sure there is no way the coil is being intermittently energised with the ignition off.