Worth a punt...?

bluelapsing

Featured Posts

Evening all, 

Hope everyone's keeping nice and warm. 

Quick question to which there's probably no right answer: this has been posted today by somebody looking for a quick sale so that they can upgrade themselves (https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/liverpool-boats-45-cruiser-stern-for-sale/721762)

I've been quick and cheeky and am pleading poverty, of course (not a dishonest plea). I've said my budget is £28,000 and he's replied just now saying he's open to offers. 

The received wisdom on this forum seems to be that if you see a bargain, and can establish the legal right of the seller to negotiate that deal, it can be best to act quickly before you miss the opportunity. At the same time I'm naturally very cynical of these chances, and am inclined to think that buying hastily is therefore a big mistake.

TL;DR: is this boat overpriced? If not, is it still advisable to make an offer subject to survey, or is that 'extracting the urine', as one poster is fond of phrasing it?

TIA,  

Callum

7 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

That boat belongs to Dan Brown from you tube, hes had it for 4 years, he did have it surveyed so ask about that, yes it is worth a punt, look at his channel.

Amazing!

That's my night sorted then. 

He paid 22 for it 5 years ago and says it needed some blacking. Time to get my detective hat on I think

Yes

4 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Amazing!

That's my night sorted then. 

He paid 22 for it 5 years ago and says it needed some blacking. Time to get my detective hat on I think

He has loads of of videos about it, not seen many problems but he is into fairy lights and candles more than maintenance, hence needs pumps sorting out. Engine is only got 600 hours, all down to the hull really, every boat will be a compromise somewhere, kitchen is useable but i would upgrade as time and budget allow, unless you like it the way it is, all subjective really. There is much worse out there for more money.

Edited by Mike Hurley

I really should've started with the recent videos, rather than finding out about all of the original... quirks, e.g. 'suddenly this started smoking and beeping and the place filled up with a plastic burning smell and loads of that dark black smoke... now none of the plug sockets in my walls work', or the revelation that the water pump doesn't work because of the inverter issues. 

Having said that, I'm not (yet) deterred. And he makes nice videos, so might as well plough on! 😝 

He has burnt out 3 invertors, as he says he puts too much draw through them, wrong, i think they overheat because it is fitted in a sealed cupboard and they burn out due to no ventilation. If they were overloaded they would shut off. Water pumps should be be 12 volt, i think lack of maintenance shows here, easily rectified for a few quid, water pump, shower pump bilge pump, ok a few hundred.😂 Dont be put off by day to day stuff, this is boat life.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I don't know. How much is a punt worth?

960px-CambridgePunt.jpg.33f93a1dbc6492c8d4bc63a237df2149.jpg

By Renata (talk) - I created this image entirely by myself., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12136576

Believe it or not I did once own a punt, albeit for about two weeks. 

Last seen in 2015 by The Anchor of Mill Lane - suspected stolen by revellers from said pub. It was a great hulking beast found floating in the middle of the river, equally likely to have sunk shortly after being stored, come to think of it...

12 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Who on earth designed that kitchen!!
Why on earth put the stove that high up so the burners are at or even higher than eye level?

Agreed.

Bonkers.

Probably unusable, and a safety hazard ifyou try.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

One's a Porta Poti the other a pump out.
Does seem a bit odd

Not odd, but possibly rare. If you were to look in our bathroom today you would see a similar view. Best option if not moving about so much.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not odd, but possibly rare. If you were to look in our bathroom today you would see a similar view. Best option if not moving about so much.

From earlier it seems that he has been the pump out system.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

On 24/01/2023 at 21:16, Graham Davis said:

One's a Porta Poti the other a pump out.
Does seem a bit odd

Not really....

I stayed onboard a boat for a few nights...while helping the couple to move it.

The portaloo was for liquid...so easy to deal with.

The pump out was for more.... solid items...and so didn't need emptying very often..

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

Not really....

I stayed onboard a boat for a few nights...while helping the couple to move it.

The portaloo was for liquid...so easy to deal with.

The pump out was for more.... solid items...and so didn't need emptying very often..

That regime can lead to problems - due to insufficient dilution of said solids...

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, billS said:

That regime can lead to problems - due to insufficient dilution of said solids...

Also, does one have to keep hopping from one to the other, depending on what one is going to produce next?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Also, does one have to keep hopping from one to the other, depending on what one is going to produce next?

The newer separating toilets have a sliding seat. You position the seat over the appropriate hole. 

A stool would be better. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't stools have a dedicated hole anyway ?

Toadstools might. Or maybe that's toad in the hole. You'd need to do a pole to get a sample representation. 

A stool sample, as it were 

Edited by rusty69

At a glance it is a tidy, run of the mill boat. New engine which is good and perfectly usable interior apart from the cooker!!??. As ever it comes down to the condition of the really important stuff, its getting on for 30 years old and by my unreliable rule of thumb this is where you need to look carefully at the hull, some boats are in need of welding and repair at this age, you need to know if this one does. A hull survey is important and any offer should be subject to an acceptable survey. It probably won't be perfect but if it is in need of big work then you might need to pull out. Good luck