Beer Glasses

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, LEO said:

How things have changed, I have not had a 'local' for years, but when I did we all used to have our own tankard at the pub, usually in the Landlord's hand as you walked in ready to be filled. Guess those days are gone forever.

Likewise. After the practice stopped I always preferred a glass tankard with a handle. The modern straight glasses ensure that your hand slowly warms the beer up to body temperature. Ugh.

3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

>> Northern pubs tend to use a swan neck with a tight sparkler which will produce a lot more head even if the sparkler is immersed in the beer, much to the benefit of the pub's profit margins.

The head is part of the drink, but an alternative view might be that the practice helps keep the beer less expensive in Northern pubs.

When all is said and done, you are buying a glass of beer, with a head. My stomach isn't calibrated.

3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I thought it was illegal because I do remember a change coming in around 15 or 20 years ago. However, I can find no substance to this illegality on line. Searching the Camra forum provides lots of debate but no de facto reference to a law. 

Pouring a pint using a hand pump varies greatly up and down the country. Northern pubs tend to use a swan neck with a tight sparkler which will produce a lot more head even if the sparkler is immersed in the beer, much to the benefit of the pub's profit margins.

My experience is of Scottish law, and practice,  if a pint has a head on it, the purchaser will return it for a top up in the unlikely event the barman pases the glass to the customer.

There is a line on some glasses, so you pay for the beer not the froth.

These days it is rare for the person pouring the beer to have any interest in beer profits.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

I can't find any evidence of it being illegal in Scotland either. I would have expected Mrsmelly to have popped up and given us chapter and verse by now.

Most pubs don't use lined glasses these days. Wetherspoons used to but gave up when Tim Martin realised his customers were still demanding a top up even though the beer was up to the line. 

Do many folk successfully make it home with the commemorative glass from beer festivals?

Used to go to quite a few in my youth and not one single glass do i have to show for it :( 

Think it may have something to do with the local ones usually being in conjunction with a bank holiday so usually visited as part of an all-dayer. If anyone reading is a homeowner anywhere between Holmfirth Civic Hall and Netherthong village and has found a commemorative glass inserted cunningly in your shrubbery for later retrieval but then forgotten about, i deeply apologise :D 

My own experience of same glass/fresh glass is limited to the two years spent tending bar at Uni, where nobody gave a stuff as long as it was cheap and kept flowing. “party” nights at campus bars were switched to rigid plastic due to breakage and tended to be fresh receptacle for every order as it was quicker when dealing with a bar four or five deep in people waiting.

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

It's illegal to offer up a soiled glas to a beer tap, it's called hygiene.

Pour your new pint in to the old glass.

No.  It isn't.  However, as I said, should any contamination occur that causes illness and that can be specifically traced back to the re-use of a glass, more generic legislation would cover it. 

Same principle as it not being illegal to smoke whilst you're driving, but if it leads to you being distracted and crashing, it could be held that you were not in proper control of the car, which is an offence.  

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Likewise. After the practice stopped I always preferred a glass tankard with a handle. The modern straight glasses ensure that your hand slowly warms the beer up to body temperature. Ugh.

Speaking as a pub owner I would encourage you not to sit warming your pint in a death-grip for too long. Get it down your neck whilst it's cool and buy another. 

In anticipation  .... sorry about the prices - supermarkets sell their beer cheaper than our suppliers do, and we have overheads to cover.  Our suppliers put their prices up 18% recently, which equates to 60p a pint if we were to maintain a fully viable GP. We haven't done that yet, just 30p. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had to check Netherthong as it sounds too amusing to be a real village name. 

It's real, just means lower strip of land, there’s an Upperthong as well a few miles up the valley.

At least i’m not from Wetwang :D 

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The head is part of the drink, but an alternative view might be that the practice helps keep the beer less expensive in Northern pubs.

When all is said and done, you are buying a glass of beer, with a head. My stomach isn't calibrated.

As a chap I was with once said to the barman " can you put a whisky in there" as he passed his freshly pulled beer back across the bar. The barman replied "Yes sir, of course" to which my friend replied "well fill it up with beer then".

14 minutes ago, twbm said:

Just by way of how far things have changed from the days of everyone having their own mug .... 

I wonder how that performs with Guinness?

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They've faffed around quite enough with Guinness dispense, thank you. I've been sold a pint of so-called Draught Guinness which came in a can and was vibrated into effervescence by a contrivance of the Devil incarnate. 

The mere fact that "draft beer" was being "served" in the video was enough to put me off.  Now I know what it means to be a draft dodger. 

Edited by Machpoint005
missed a word out

50 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When we had 'the bar' we had a couple of regular Guiness drinkers, but not enough to justify a barrel (it went off before they could drink it) so we went to the Guiness 'surger' system which is similar but you pour out a special can of Guiness and put it on an Ultrasound 'pad'. 

The perfect pint of Guiness.

The Guiness officinados said it wasn't as good as a well kept draught Guiness, but was far better than a badly kept or 'old' Guiness.

Image result for guiness surger machines

Image result for guinness surger machine

Picture 1 of 1

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

Camra is only interested in the provenance of what is being served, The container has no relevance as far as Camra is concerned.

They are very concerned with the way beer is served. 

And I’m guessing the above beer is keg beer served up through the bottom of the glass. 

Didn’t Brewdog have difficulty with CAMRA because all their beer is keg?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Didn't Anthony say something to Cleopatra about that ?

"Its not past your eyes, but its certainly above your boobs"

Ahhhh - but that was assess milk (very similar taste to Guiness)

I thought it was Benny Hill, the fastest milkfloat in the west.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

It turns out I'm wrong. It's not illegal, just bad practice from a germ swapping perspective.

If I recall from my food hygiene course (too long ago to be over confident!) the only thing that is specifically illegal under food hygiene regs is fridge temperature. Everything else is covered by generic duties which can be adapted to each specific situation. can also lead to strange stand offs with environmental officers with a bee in their bonnet.

41 minutes ago, Goliath said:

They are very concerned with the way beer is served. 

And I’m guessing the above beer is keg beer served up through the bottom of the glass. 

Didn’t Brewdog have difficulty with CAMRA because all their beer is keg?

They do indeed have discussions about the way beer is served. Sparkler or no sparkler. Swan neck or short neck. Spawn of the devil is the Autovac in many drinker's eyes. Widely found in West Yorkshire. I've seen debate recently about using recyclable "glasses" at festivals but I think they were deemed uneconomic. 

I've no doubt the beer above is Keg Beer. Real Ale could be served through that contraption with a bit of effort. 

Brewdog only make keg. They were producing Cask a while back but deemed it unprofitable and so decided to focus on keg.