Age of a boat as a factor when buying.

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I suspect you are right. I did however stipulate RNLI. Dunno if the RNLI have any boats on the canal. 

Not Canals but they certainly have on the London tideway where some narrowboats go on the way to or from Limehouse, but I doubt they are Cat powered. They seem to be inshore ribs, not the all weather boats that use Cat engines.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Not Canals but they certainly have on the London tideway where some narrowboats go on the way to or from Limehouse, but I doubt they are Cat powered. They seem to be inshore ribs, not the all weather boats that use Cat engines.

When I passed the RNLI ribs on the Thames, I'm sure they had Mariner outboards. Not sure what colour they were, I was too busy trying to miss tower bridge 

The OP may also like to avoid buying into a boat with a small Lombardini engine. Though beautifully made and overhead camshaft Italian design they have often been a source of pain in canal boats.

Note to the youngsters, they are not yellow. Minions are, but not often seen  in canal boats either, though there is at least one AFAIK.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The OP may also like to avoid buying into a boat with a small Lombardini engine. Though beautifully made and overhead camshaft Italian design they have often been a source of pain in canal boats.

Note to the youngsters, they are not yellow. Minions are, but not often seen  in canal boats either, though there is at least one AFAIK.

Once again, I agree with you. Not least because of the attitude of their UK technical department when I was trying to get technical info for a BT engineers' course, But also because when I was discussing them with a senior RCR engineer some years go, he suggested the best place for them was in a skip. Out of the ordinary features, like the injection system, are probably not well understood on the waterways, so getting well-informed engineers may be very difficult.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Once again, I agree with you. Not least because of the attitude of their UK technical department when I was trying to get technical info for a BT engineers' course, But also because when I was discussing them with a senior RCR engineer some years go, he suggested the best place for them was in a skip. Out of the ordinary features, like the injection system, are probably not well understood on the waterways, so getting well-informed engineers may be very difficult.

I can see the attraction and advantage of running the injection pumps individually from the camshaft, after all Lister did it on practically every model, but it was hugely misunderstood by the average slightly thick marina mechanic who was used to BMCs and taxi engines.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't organised crime much more efficient than un-organised crime ?

I prefer disorganised crime but I yes I see what you mean. 

The problems occur when they pull too much protection money. Someone has to pay and it will be product quality which foots the bill. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I was not suggesting anything like that.

Equally I have no reason to defend them. Never owned one never want to but just generally interested in boat subjects. 

Our first NB had a Vetus engine. I wouldn't have another one, and we've now had "BMC", Lombardini and Beta in different boats. All those were fine, some better than others (like beers).

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I avoid Italian products generally as they will always have some influence from the Mafia and I disagree with organised crime.

Pasta? Tinned tomatoes? Chianti?

• Haha 1

On the Vetus question, I re-engined my boat twenty years ago and 'did the rounds' of the engine marinisers at the time.

What struck me was how neat and compact the Vetus marinisation was.  Obviously on some boats (e.g. cruiser sterns) this makes little difference, but when an engine is boxed under the back step on a trad stern boat, it does.  And having all the service items on one side is handy too.

Yes, some spare parts are expensive ... but filters and belts (and glow plugs, if you ever need them - I haven't) are generic enough and you don't need to buy the Vetus ones.  The only other thing I've needed is a moulded hose and I recall that being reasonably priced (for the genuine part) compared to a similar item on a car.

If I was buying a boat I would judge the engine on suitability and condition rather than who marinised it (although would be tempted to avoid modern stuff that has been marinised in very limited numbers).