Wherry Albion at IWA National Rally 1973 Ely

John Brightley

Featured Posts

1973 when the route of the middle level to the Ouse was the sixteen foot drain  Horseways Lock and Welches Dam.  A scorching hot day on the 16 foot  RAF jets  thundering low  overhead with little warning . Happy memories of the whole trip and Rally

• Greenie 2

You can help keep Albion going by joining the Norfolk Wherry Trust https://wherryalbion.com, I've been a member for years, as well as the Humber keel Society https://keelsandsloops.org.uk, which is currently in need of support following covid. You could also join the L&LC Society https://www.leedsandliverpoolcanalsociety.co.uk and help keep Kennet in operation. We are anticipating sailing from Bingley to Skipton on Easter Saturday, exactly 250 years since the first cargo was carried on the canal.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

I noticed ‘Blakey’, a very quick view of it. Have been passing that quite regular at Alvechurch, so it’s still going. 

Makes me think of On the Buses when ever I see it. 

That's interesting - I noticed it too, and remember it well from the 1980's. Hadn't realised it was still around.

I was involved with the Ely rally as chairman of the eastern region IWA at the time. I can’t remember his name but the chairman of the Albion Trust an ex army officer I think he was

at one meeting promised to bring the wherry to the rally. Quite a site.

16 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I was involved with the Ely rally as chairman of the eastern region IWA at the time. I can’t remember his name but the chairman of the Albion Trust an ex army officer I think he was

at one meeting promised to bring the wherry to the rally. Quite a site.

image.png.9a78af89c31fcb7fa2eca37b688b2ac1.png

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.9a78af89c31fcb7fa2eca37b688b2ac1.png

Several photos here on the Trusts web site Search Results (wherryalbion.com)

33 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

That's interesting - I noticed it too, and remember it well from the 1980's. Hadn't realised it was still around.

yes it’s on an end of garden mooring between Bittel Reservoir and the M42 bridge.

Still same colours. 

Alvechurch, so probably with the same owner after all this time.

I spoke with the owner once when passing, I’ll ask if I get another chance to speak. 

I was present at the 1973 Ely rally too. We bought a tiny 6ft beam cruiser from Tonbridge on the Medway.

At Welches Dam you had to pass through the doors onto the Great Ouse when the tide made a level, which livened up proceedings if a crowd needed to get through.

Don't remember the wherry, though.

I have found the name of the wherry Trust chairman at the time of the rally a Major James A Forsythe real old school

in 1990 some members of the Ashby Canal Association charted 2 pleasure wherrys one of which was the Hathor which had been built for the Coleman family of mustard fame. It was a very interesting weekend dodging hire boats.

9 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I have found the name of the wherry Trust chairman at the time of the rally a Major James A Forsythe real old school

in 1990 some members of the Ashby Canal Association charted 2 pleasure wherrys one of which was the Hathor which had been built for the Coleman family of mustard fame. It was a very interesting weekend dodging hire boats.

Many years ago I sailed from Norwich to Acle on the Hathor.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Proportions are all wrong but what else could one do with such a craft in the absence of a fusiast?

Leave it as it is.

Not every interesting old boat needs to be converted into a liveaboard.

Especially if you cant do it sympatheticly.