Feeling unbalanced

Fabiola

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Did you never hear the phrase " sea legs"?

Yes, but not on a narrowboat on a canal.

Like some others here I've never had that feeling on a narrowboat on the canals. For me it only happens on a boat at sea. I guess some others are more sensitive?

6 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I can't claim any real sea experience but I did go onto a tourist trip in NZ to white island (the one that blew up), the trip nearly didn’t leave the harbour because of the rough weather, anyway we did and I was outside loving the rough seas, fantastic experience, until the captain decided it was too much and turned back, I got ordered inside to the hot cabin full of green people and the smell of vomit, that's where I nearly lost it

I used to work with a young lady who was on holiday in New Zealand when they had the earthquake in 2011. She was driving when it happened and was convinced something was wrong with the car until she got out to lift the bonnet. :)  

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

We've called it 'boat head' for years. Must admit I haven't noticed it as much recently.

Strange experience at the end of last year, though. When Leeds&L ran out of water, t'boat sat on the bottom. Nearly sprained an ankle when I stepped on board about six inches lower than normal. And, walking about the boat (without movement) was really weird.

On 22/01/2023 at 10:28, mrsmelly said:

I concur. I used to love very very rough weather for more than one reason. I recall being in weather above force 10 up to 12 which wasnt that regular, for a few weeks around Iceland in one instance. I loved it because I was never sea sick but many where, so apart from the danger of simply moving about in a washing machine the benefits were great, such as no queue for your scran and extra beer as those seasick used to give their beer ration away. However I have been on small leisure stuff such as day fishing boats just a few miles off shore in a swell and that used to make me queasy sometimes, its a different motion entirely as you will know.

Reminds me of being a young making lunch and bovril for the family as we cross the North Sea. Gale force 8 finding it funny everything crashing around. Only me and our old dog Paddy could go down below. I used to eat a lot of lunches as they chucked up over the side 😅

On 22/01/2023 at 14:51, Ray T said:

Stugeron!

Cinnarizine - Wikipedia

Stugeron 15Mg - 15 Tablets

This plus those wrist bands work great!

On 22/01/2023 at 10:44, Fabiola said:

Hello, I just move to a narrowboat.  

Sometimes when Iam laying down I feel that the boat is moving but is not. 

Then when I come of the boat and go somewhere and seat I feel that my sourandings are not balance.  Is this a normal ? when you first move in to live in a narrowboat? 

Thank you 

A boat, when floating will near constantly move in response to water and wind movements. And a narrowboat or small cruiser will certainly  move in response to you or somebody else moving around on board, thus changing the balance. The boat feels alive.

Watching the u tube videos of taking a narrowboat through a lock you can see the gentle sway as people transfer from boat to shore. Yes I am still a narrowboat tragic. 

On a narrowboat it always felt a little unnatural if grounded for the night and these trim and positional changes did not occur.

The boat feels dead. 

On 22/01/2023 at 10:44, Fabiola said:

Edited by DandV