Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But they are NOT your bottles are they, they remain the property of Calor (as proven by the court cases where some have been sold on ebay that have been cut up to make BBQs.)

As far as I am concerned they are. I can't exchange my bottle for one that I can use, therefore the contract is null and void. 

Edited by rusty69

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Find a Gippo camp and when they move on there will be several in the hedge bottom.

This may change I think. People will still want these and someone will fill them. 

Also I was told by the scrap man that you can weigh in gas bottles if you take the time to slice them up. Fill with water then empty before applying the slitting disc though ! 

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

This may change I think. People will still want these and someone will fill them. 

Also I was told by the scrap man that you can weigh in gas bottles if you take the time to slice them up. Fill with water then empty before applying the slitting disc though ! 

You know some very dodgy scap dealers.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Don't we all? 

Since the drastic changes a few years ago (no cash purchases, all payments to be via the bank, no scrap accepted without proof of ID and address etc etc etc) there have become very few (I don't know of any) 'bent' scrap dealers operating operating outside the law.

I know a scrap yard which will pay cash for copper but I doubt they would want to be identified. 

They have a proper yard it's not a rag and bone man or a man with a transit pickup. 

Obviously the gas bottles wouldn't be worth dealing with as not enough value but yes you can still sell scrap for cash in some places.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Since the drastic changes a few years ago (no cash purchases, all payments to be via the bank, no scrap accepted without proof of ID and address etc etc etc) there have become very few (I don't know of any) 'bent' scrap dealers operating operating outside the law.

So you reckon the burglars who broke into my workshop and stole a dustbin with about 50kg of scrap copper and brass and about £2k worth of copper and brass pipe fittings are in for a shock when they try to weigh it in for cash then? 

Or do burglars all have trade accounts at the scrappy nowadays...? 

• Horror 1

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

So you reckon the burglars who broke into my workshop and stole a dustbin with about 50kg of scrap copper and brass and about £2k worth of copper and brass pipe fittings are in for a shock when they try to weigh it in for cash then? 

Or do burglars all have trade accounts at the scrappy nowadays...? 

Maybe it was the same ones that stole my battery 'stockpile' of 6x 110Ah, and 4x 230Ah batteries. (£150+ at the scrap man)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it was the same ones that stole my battery 'stockpile' of 6x 110Ah, and 4x 230Ah batteries. (£150+ at the scrap man)

A couple of years ago I weighed in half a dozen batteries that had been accumulating in the back of the garage from various cars and boats, plus a load of lead piping I had stripped out of our previous house. Local scrappy was quite happy to take them with copies of my ID and payment direct to my bank account. But he had no proof where the stuff had come from (and I couldn't have provided it).

• Greenie 1

Some metal products are traceable so if you had sold him something which later turned out to be stolen during an investigation then he has your details. 

Of course if someone else had stolen a load of lead acid batteries and sold them to him he could then say it was you. Unless fine details are added to the receipt it seems a bit pointless in a way. Maybe people selling old batteries need to drill little holes in them as ID in case of problems later. 

If course the battery man gets around this problem by discounting the price of the battery you are buying from him rather than offering a financial consideration for your scrap. 

Unless they are charming romany folk who apparently can still be paid in cash .. but the rest of us can't because we are not trustworthy like those honest travelling folk still keeping their traditions alive. I think Alan has alluded to at least one of those traditions earlier. 

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But they are NOT your bottles are they, they remain the property of Calor (as proven by the court cases where some have been sold on ebay that have been cut up to make BBQs.)

When I sell my boat, do I need to remove the gas bottles and return them to calor? 

Asking for magnetman. 

I won't be selling my boats. 

I suppose they will get sold one day but not by me. 

Anyway it does seem interesting as to who now owns the calor 3.9 and 4.5 cylinders. I found one in the River next week on the 2nd of February. Does that mean it is mine ? 

I think it does. Possession is 9/10ths of the law or in the case of gas bottles on inland boats Position is 9/10ths of the law. 

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you have such a time machine then maybe you can wizz forward and answer your own question ?

I had to alter the date to disguise the fact I have already found it. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Worse than that. The person who put it there is not only in breach of contract with Calor, they will likely get done for fly tipping. 

What happens if it came from a sunk boat. What sort of tipping would this be? 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I won't be selling my boats. 

I suppose they will get sold one day but not by me. 

Anyway it does seem interesting as to who now owns the calor 3.9 and 4.5 cylinders. I found one in the River next week on the 2nd of February. Does that mean it is mine ? 

I think it does. Possession is 9/10ths of the law or in the case of gas bottles on inland boats Position is 9/10ths of the law. 

How would you know if it calor? Particularly if it was painted green

I wonder if it worth repainting these for stealth purposes. I have some Jotun's Con Seal black paint.  Very durable on suspect substrates. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

How would you know if it calor? Particularly if it was painted green

Great minds like a think !

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had to alter the date to disguise the fact I have already found it. 

What happens if it came from a sunk boat. What sort of tipping would this be? 

Fly tipping by J R Hartley is a good read if you can find a copy 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, magnetman said:

No it's MINE. Give it back!!