Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

That is bad news, but not really surprising. Many small yachts (including ours) have gas lockers built around those sizes. I have been having trouble getting those sizes for the last two years. It will just mean I refill them myself. 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

That is bad news, but not really surprising. Many small yachts (including ours) have gas lockers built around those sizes. I have been having trouble getting those sizes for the last two years. It will just mean I refill them myself. 

Seconded. ]

Both my boats' gas lockers only accept 3.9 cylinders, so my only option now is to refill them myself. 

So, how does the team recommend filling 3.9kg propane cylinders? All the youtube videos focus on American cylinders with screwdriver-opened pressure-relieving vents, which Calor bottles do not have. 

Not that I've been looking, at all, you'll no doubt understand....

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Seconded. ]

Both my boats' gas lockers only accept 3.9 cylinders, so my only option now is to refill them myself. 

So, how does the team recommend filling 3.9kg propane cylinders? All the youtube videos focus on American cylinders with screwdriver-opened pressure-relieving vents, which Calor bottles do not have. 

Not that I've been looking, at all, you'll no doubt understand....

Very carefully. It’s not rocket science.👍

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Does anyone know if the Campingaz 907 2.75kg cylinder would fit the same space occupied by 1 or 2 Propane 3.9s?

You'll likely get one in, but not two, and they are really expensive. I originally swapped out the Campingaz for the slightly larger (and cheaper) 4.5 butane. When they became scarce I swapped to 3. 9 Propane, then 7 butane, now on 13 Propane. 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You'll likely get one in, but not two, and they are really expensive. I originally swapped out the Campingaz for the slightly larger (and cheaper) 4.5 butane. When they became scarce I swapped to 3. 9 Propane, then 7 butane, now on 13 Propane. 

What about the Flogas 3.9kg?

39 minutes ago, MtB said:

It is quite simple and works out far, far, far, cheaper than buying a 3.9kg refil ever did - however - from memory, in the past you have severely castigated me for explaining how it could be done.

Refilling gas cartridges / cylinders is done frequently by campers and walkers.

For the Propane fills you'll need one of these POL to POL connector and hose. (about £5)

A8.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is quite simple and works out far, far, far, cheaper than buying a 3.9kg refil ever did - however - from memory, in the past you have severely castigated me for explaining how it could be done.

Refilling gas cartridges / cylinders is done frequently by campers and walkers.

For the Propane fills you'll need one of these (about £5)

A8.jpg

Yeah, but I haven't castrated you at all. Please explain the process. Summit to do with inverting the donor bottle innit. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Yeah, but I haven't castrated you at all. Please explain the process. Summit to do with inverting the donor bottle innit. 

More particularly, summit to do with allowing the vapour above the liquid to escape as it fills....

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Exactly.

To get the best transfer you should 'chill' the receiving cylinder (even standing it in a bucket of cold water helps).

Weigh the empty (receiving cylinder) and note weight.

Connect the two cylinders.

Stand donating cylinder inverted so it is higher than the receiving cylinder.

Open both valves so liquid flows from donating to receiving cylinder.

After a couple of minutes, close valves, disconnect and weigh receiving cylinder, note the difference in weight  from empty and extrapolate the time required to get to (say) 3,5 kgs (assuming it is a 3.9kg cylinder)

Reconnect and give it the additional time required.

Re-weigh, it. If has gone above 3.9kgs vent some off.

Underfill rather than over fill.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly.

To get the best transfer you should 'chill' the receiving cylinder (even standing it in a bucket of cold water helps).

After a couple of minutes, close valves, disconnect and weigh receiving cylinder, note the difference in weight  from empty and exptrapolate the time required to get to (say) 3,5 kgs (assuming it is a 3.9kg cylinder)

Presumably one could use a non calor bottle as the donor bottle, assuming the connection couplings are the same? 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Presumably one could use a non calor bottle as the donor bottle, assuming the connection couplings are the same? 

All (UK) Propane use the POL connectors. Yes you can use any manufacturer - its all the same gas inside.

Currently a 47kg cylinder is ~£90 ( £1.90/kg) whilst a 3.9kg cylinder is ~£27 ( £7.90 / kg)

If you can invert a 47kg cylinder you can save a fortune.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

All (UK) Propane use the POL connectors. Yes you can use any manufacturer - its all the same gas inside.

Currently a 47kg cylinder is ~£90 ( £1.90/kg) whilst a 3.9kg cylinder is ~£27 ( £7.90 / kg)

If you can invert a 47kg cylinder you can save a fortune.

I'm not that strong. 

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly.

After a couple of minutes, close valves, disconnect and weigh receiving cylinder, note the difference in weight  from empty and extrapolate the time required to get to (say) 3,5 kgs (assuming it is a 3.9kg cylinder)

I don't buy any of that. The vapour pressure in each bottle will be the same so any liquid transfer that happens at all will be glacially slow as the vapour in the lower bottle needs to condense to accept liquid from the upper. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, MtB said:

I don't buy any of that. The vapour pressure in each bottle will be the same so any liquid transfer that happens at all will be glacially slow as the vapour in the lower bottle needs to condense to accept liquid from the upper. 

I don't really care if you 'buy-it' or not.

The fact the receiving cylinder is colder than the donating cylinder speeds up the process, but even without 'cooling' it works (more slowly).

Sometimes reality throws theory into the bin - I know it works as I have done it many times.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't really care if you 'buy-it' or not.

The fact the receiving cylinder is colder than the donating cylinder speeds up the process, but even without 'cooling' it works (more slowly).

Sometimes reality throws theory into the bin - I know it works as I have done it many times.

GFY.

(Stand for "good for you", in case you were wondering.)

:giggles: