Are Boats selling

jddevel

Featured Posts

Just now, M_JG said:

I think people underestimate the costs associated with boat

ownership, especially if it's for leisure boating. NC seemed to have been maintained to a very high standard which from memory Rachel and her partner did a lot of, if not all of.

Perhaps the new owner couldn't do the same?

Judging by the advert which suggests nothing was done to it since we sold it I expect he hasn't experienced costs involved 😕

49 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I think people underestimate the costs associated with boat

Possibly.

More likely they find the reality  is not quite what they imagined it to be

It would be no good if we all wanted the same thing.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Possibly.

More likely they find the reality  is not quite what they imagined it to be

It would be no good if we all wanted the same thing.

Equally likely some people don't maintain their boats to the manufacturers recommended schedules.

There were folks on the sales pontoon at the marina today so the frosty weather isn't deterring everyone.

The relatively few boats for sale suggests continuing popularity of boating despite increasing costs.

I suspect holidaying abroad  will become more expensive which in turn maintains demand of activities like caravanning, motorhomes  and boats .

The only concern I have for boating that relies on an engine is the future availability  and cost of diesel.

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

There were folks on the sales pontoon at the marina today so the frosty weather isn't deterring everyone.

The relatively few boats for sale suggests continuing popularity of boating despite increasing costs.

I suspect holidaying abroad  will become more expensive which in turn maintains demand of activities like caravanning, motorhomes  and boats .

The only concern I have for boating that relies on an engine is the future availability  and cost of diesel.

Diesel isn't going anywhere any time soon.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

£100k for a 23 year old narrow boat does seem a bit expensive. 

Yes it does, that's why I gave possible reasons for its pricing.

Of course, as any trader knows, if you start at a high price you can always go lower, whereas iff you start low it's hard to go higher.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes it does, that's why I gave possible reasons for its pricing.

Of course, as any trader knows, if you start at a high price you can always go lower, whereas iff you start low it's hard to go higher.

There is always the danger of pricing too high which ends up with it sat around with no interest in it. Then having no interest when it's reduced.

Much as has happened with NC.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Don't certain makes attract a premium price? Ken Bonakowski's are well thought of as far as I can gather, and this one appears o be in good order.

I've never heard of him. How many boats has he built to have built this reputation? 

Edit to add:

A brief goggle reveals this old thread here about him. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/51447-bonie-kowsky/

And a couple of old adverts are still on the net. Here's a photo of their 'distinctive' stern design.

image.png.f5ce12059ac3f0412cfa5e30c44d67ef.png 

https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/rare-bonikowski-40ft-narrowboat-minstrel-73155/73157

Edited by MtB

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've never heard of him. How many boats has he built to have built this reputation? 

About 60, , in Lancashire in the 1980s and 1990s. He died in 2000.

I've seen his name cited as Bonikokowski and Bonakowsski, not sure which is correct.

21 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's not just the usual inflation that makes it a cost of living crisis for some. Inflation as measured is about 10% and falling, but food inflation is about 17% and constant, rents have rocketed and power bills have tripled, though they are falling and may just end up double.

It's no crisis at all if you've got a good salary or pension or own your house. If you're stuck on minimum wage and renting, it's a crisis. It rather depends on one's point of view, and whether you consider other people to be worth bothering about.

What rents have rocketed ?

2 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

What % as there is a legal limit?

Over what period?

I need to check with her but her PCM payment has increased around 20% - 30% over about the last 2 years. 

Her landlord has a BTL mortgage.

28 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

What % as there is a legal limit?

Is there? What is it?

I believe an unreasonable rent review can be challenged at a rent tribunal but I'm not aware of any actual limits on rent rises. 

Edited by MtB
Add second para.
  • Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is there? What is it?

I believe an unreasonable rent review can be challenged at a rent tribunal but I'm not aware of any actual limits on rent rises. 

Indeed. Government advice is that "the rent increase must be fair and realistic, which means in line with average local rents". The rules around challenging a rent increase at tribunal are somewhat restricted.

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-disputes

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Indeed. Government advice is that "the rent increase must be fair and realistic, which means in line with average local rents". The rules around challenging a rent increase at tribunal are somewhat restricted.

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-disputes

Thanks. 

This all aligns exactly with my understanding of the rent review situation already! Basically, that rents can be raised annually to keep up with local rental market. 

51 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is there? What is it?

There are rules, but they don't look to cover the actual percentage Private renting: Rent increases - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have been looking for a boat for several months, having sold our own boat at just the wrong moment, before Brexit and Covid pushed prices up. Based on what I have been looking at, I'd get 25-30k more for our boat now! 

I'd expected prices to start to come down, but I think what's happening is that second home in Spain has become massively less attractive and that's still driving a lot of folk to look at a canalboat as an alternative. 

At the other end of the market the housing and rent problem makes a boat a housing option, and that's supporting the market.

I don't see much changing on this until legislation hist diesel engines, which may drive a huge shift in the market.