Are Boats selling

jddevel

Featured Posts

Earlier this week there was a topic in which a member was about to pay £168,000 for a new (57 foot, I think) boat, so there are obviously customers still willing tp part wih substantial sums for a boat.

January is always a dead month, folks have over-indulged, credit card bills are arriving fast and furious, it's a long month for those on salaries, and It's bad weather for travel this weekend.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Earlier this week there was a topic in which a member was about to pay £168,000 for a new (57 foot, I think) boat, so there are obviously customers still willing tp part wih substantial sums for a boat.

Or maybe was trying to sell a boat for £168,000, it wan't clear!

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

January is always a dead month, folks have over-indulged, credit card bills are arriving fast and furious, it's a long month for those on salaries, and It's bad weather for travel this weekend.

Of course it is.

Our local broker has sold 3 boats this week...all over £70k, the £125k one he could have sold 3 times if he had  3 of them.!!

ABNB have also taken deposits on 3.

Yep, quiet.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Of course it is.

Our local broker has sold 3 boats this week...all over £70k, the £125k one he could have sold 3 times if he had  3 of them.!!

ABNB have also taken deposits on 3.

Yep, quiet.

That's very good business for a traditionally quiet month. How many will they sell as the "season" approaches?

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's very good business for a traditionally quiet month. How many will they sell as the "season" approaches?

Probably exactly the same number as new listings they manage to obtain. 

I'd suspect not many get sold in high season as most people are busy using their boats rather than handing them over to brokers to sell. Most commonly I think people decide to sell the boat at the end of the season, if they are selling it at all.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Last year it was virtually impossible to view a boat at Rugby Boats on the web site that hadn't already gone under offer or was actually sold and gone. Those that were not sold often were marked as such within 24 to 48 hours. I suspect this year will be similar.

People who can afford to spend over £70K on boats are not really the same people adversely affected by the cost of living 'crisis'.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure that is the case. 

Only two boats available at the brokerage here, one of which looks too optimistic.  Although there are more for sale  at the marina nearby I see no bargain prices.

I sense a pause in sales but suspect it will be short lived . 

House sales I suspect also temporarily paused .

Not sure why is called a cost of living crisis . Its just inflation which is something that has been very low the last few years . I expect a lot of people on here will recall past high inflation which we all survived.

I would say money put into a boat the last few years has been a good investment as the value has almost certainly risen. Similarly with houses.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

On Wednesday, figures from the Office for National Statistics revealed that a verage UK house prices increased by 10.3 per cent in the year to November 2022,

(Next figures are after the end of January)

The average UK house price was £295,000 in November 2022, which is £28,000 higher than November 2021

Headline statistics

Headline statistics from the latest transactions data include:

• the provisional non-seasonally adjusted estimate of UK residential transactions in November 2022 is 114,200, 12% higher than November 2021 and 4% higher than October 2022

• the provisional seasonally adjusted estimate of UK residential transactions in November 2022 is 107,190, 13% higher than November 2021 and less than 1% higher than October 2022

Year on year comparisons for UK residential transactions should be treated with caution because significant forestalling activity was observed in September 2021. Impacts from forestalling in September 2021 may also have impacted November 2021 transactions, however the impact was not as significant as for October.

Forestalling relates to advanced action taken to prevent an anticipated event, in this case taxpayers completing transactions before the temporarily increased nil rate band of residential Stamp Duty Land Tax ended on 30 September 2021.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Only two boats available at the brokerage here, one of which looks too optimistic.  Although there are more for sale  at the marina nearby I see no bargain prices.

Not sure why is called a cost of living crisis . Its just inflation which is something that has been very low the last few years . I expect a lot of people on here will recall past high inflation which we all survived.

I would say money put into a boat the last few years has been a good investment as the value has almost certainly risen. Similarly with houses.

For the young mum in front of me in the queue in ASDA yesterday who had both her cards declined and had to put 50% of her shopping back to pay with what little cash she had I would say it will feel like a crisis. The cash was apparently set aside to put some leccy on her pre pay meter.

To someone who can afford to pootle up and down the Trent in a very nice flybridge cruiser it likely won't.

Edited by M_JG

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd suspect not many get sold in high season as most people are busy using their boats ll.

So would I, hence my choice of the words ""as the season approaches". I'd expect sales of boats to be heaviest in the spring.

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's not just the usual inflation that makes it a cost of living crisis for some. Inflation as measured is about 10% and falling, but food inflation is about 17% and constant, rents have rocketed and power bills have tripled, though they are falling and may just end up double.

It's no crisis at all if you've got a good salary or pension or own your house. If you're stuck on minimum wage and renting, it's a crisis. It rather depends on one's point of view, and whether you consider other people to be worth bothering about.

Which rather misses the point. 

Someone looking to buy a boat right now is unlikely to be on minimum wage, renting and struggling with inflationary rises.

Inflation has always affected different people in different ways. 

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

The current owner of Naughty-Cal doesn't seem to be doing so great out of the purchase.

Boat has been for sale for a good six months now. It was priced shall we say very keenly. He has shot himself in the foot with that tactic. It remains unsold despite being reduced in price and there are now 5 other S23's for sale on the Broads in direct competition. 

He priced himself out of the market.

At this rate it will still be for sale when we are on the Broads in July.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The current owner of Naughty-Cal doesn't seem to be doing so great out of the purchase.

Boat has been for sale for a good six months now. It was priced shall we say very keenly. He has shot himself in the foot with that tactic. It remains unsold despite being reduced in price and there are now 5 other S23's for sale on the Broads in direct competition. 

He priced himself out of the market.

At this rate it will still be for sale when we are on the Broads in July.

Why buy it to virtually immediately sell it?

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Is 18 months on "immediately selling it?"

Probably not with boats.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some folks 'buy the dream' and then 'sell the reality'.

Exactly that.

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't put mine up again this year

I suspect you are very much in the minority. 

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I think people underestimate the costs associated with boat

ownership, especially if it's for leisure boating. NC seemed to have been maintained to a very high standard which from memory Rachel and her partner did a lot of, if not all of.

Perhaps the new owner couldn't do the same?

Edited by M_JG