Free living on a boat

Mike Jordan

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Foxes Afloat have just posted on YouTube, they reckon it costs £14K per annum on a boat, same as in their house. I can't believe some of their costings to be honest.

A very sensible blog from Foxes afloat. Plus they stress there are no mooring fees in their sums.

1 minute ago, Laurie Booth said:

A very sensible blog from Foxes afloat. Plus they stress there are no mooring fees in their sums.

Well what about replacing batteries every four years, suggests reckless usage pattern!

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm never sure how to pronounce "leccy" 

Is it "lecksi" or "lecki"

There is a soft c in there I feel some may be unaware of. 

...or perhaps the Italian-flavoured "lechy"?

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well what about replacing batteries every four years, suggests reckless usage pattern!

Not really, all depends how much you use them obviously, lead acids don’t last forever. I change mine every four years as they just don’t hold charge as good, I could keep them for longer, but would be running my engine while moored to recharge a lot more.

Edited by PD1964

There will be slang terms of electric turning up. 

So far I have heard "juice" but there must be others and over time there will be a dominant term. 

I think it will be E. 

"I'm going to put some E in the car". 

"Phone is running out of E". 

"Where can I get some E". 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm never sure how to pronounce "leccy" 

Is it "lecksi" or "lecki"

There is a soft c in there I feel some may be unaware of. 

You don't ever need to pronounce it. It's a very convenient shorthand for "electricity", used when typing texts or casual forum posts as the word "electricity" is particularly awkward to type accurately for those of us who use the two finger 'woodpecker' method. 

In fact I'd suggest it is like some of those odd names where the pronunciation is nothing like the spelling. Featherstonehaugh for example (being pronounced 'Fanshaw') or Beauchamp (pronounced 'Beecham'). I suggest you think of the best way to pronounce the word "leccy" as being "electricity". 

:) 

17 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

A Vlog on living costs for a year like their previous one. As they say everyone is different, but a relatively sensible account of costings involved, highlighting it’s not as cheap as people think living on a Narrowboat. Unlike Dotty’s, Tristan and their new puppy Teddy’s account in the press. These seam the typical new boaters that are now coming onto the canal, due to the high house prices and increased cost of living.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

4 years is 1461 days so if you consider 3 days usage would be one cycle of the batteries then its almost 500 cycles, look and see how many leisure batteries are rated for 500 cycles.

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yes because someone with my elocution would not usually know what a PayPoint is. 

My own experience of PayPoints is they could more accurately be named Pray-Points. 

So often do I find the 'computer says no', especially when trying to wake up a newly installed pre-pay meter. 

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's not just me then?  I find them unbearable.  Their 'presenting' style is best suited to CBeebies.

They are like Marmite for sure.

I have positive memories of watching their boating videos but as soon as they sold up and moved ashore I completely lost interest.

8 hours ago, BilgePump said:

When topping up the pre-pay meter via a PayPoint (yep MtB's Pray-Point is a fairly accurate description) I describe it as going for a bucketful of leccy.

How do you pronounce the word leccy? 

Is it "lecksi" with the soft c or "lecki" with a hard c? 

There is a soft c in there and I am intrigued to know if it gets used in the real world. 

20 hours ago, M_JG said:

They are like Marmite for sure.

I have positive memories of watching their boating videos but as soon as they sold up and moved ashore I completely lost interest.

I think others may feel the same.... their last two videos have returned to narrowboat topics. I messaged Colin to see if they were missing the canals as they have done a few narrowboats vlogs again and he said it wasn't a narrowboat vlog....? 🤔

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

I think others may feel the same.... their last two videos have returned to narrowboat topics. I messaged Colin to see if they were missing the canals as they have done a few narrowboats vlogs again and he said it wasn't a narrowboat vlog....? 🤔

That sounds as if they are wanting to distance themselves from what it was that attracted their audience to them in the first place.

I guess they're wanting to be bigger celebrities than mere boaters.

53 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

That sounds as if they are wanting to distance themselves from what it was that attracted their audience to them in the first place.

I guess they're wanting to be bigger celebrities than mere boaters.

Out of curiosity I had a look ono You Tube. .Their latest video appears to be all about taking a new puppy home. Cute, I suppose (the puppy, not them} but I switched off before eeded to rush to the vomitarium.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Out of curiosity I had a look ono You Tube. .Their latest video appears to be all about taking a new puppy home. Cute, I suppose (the puppy, not them} but I switched off before eeded to rush to the vomitarium.

You have a  amphitheatre in the fens?