Buying and moving

bluelapsing

Featured Posts

Morning all, 

I'm considering going to view this boat (https://tingdeneboating.com/boats-for-sale/narrowboat-43-pat-buckle-cruiser-stern-blossom/) but it's in Surrey, and I'm up in Nottingham.

One quick question: would it be feasible/sensible for somebody with no previous experience to make the journey from Surrey to Nottingham by NB? I wouldn't be under any time pressure so could go slow and steady, but it is a very long way, so I wonder if it would be wiser to pay a professional to move it for me? I'm going into my local marina to ask about this tomorrow but any advice from you folk would be very helpful before doing that

TIA - hope you're all enjoying the sun and the fresh crisp air 😊

What you need to be aware of is that there are a lot of canal closures during the Winter for maintenance - this could mean that if you choose the wrong route you could be 'stuck' for several weeks.

If you do end up buying it (presumably you are having a survey** done) then :

a ) Check your proposed route for stoppages, or,

b ) Wait until Springtime to move it,

** because of the age of the boat you are unlikely to be able to get comprehensive insurance cover without provididing the insurers a copy of the survey showing it is 'insurable'. 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Yes.  Perfectly possible.  Many boaters, if not most, started with no more than a couple of hours training.

That journey will require benign conditions on the river sections, mainly the Wey, Thames and Trent which might delay you in winter conditions.

It might be easier or cheaper or quicker to move by road, but much more fun by water.

If you wait until late spring when the Thames will have reduced its flow considerably and the Thames locks are more likely to have lockkeepers to help you, then given plenty of time and going via Oxford, so you get narrow locks for much of the way it should be possible. After a day or so, probably enjoyable. going to Brentford on the Thames and up the Grand Union involves wide locks that are not so easy for single handers and a bit of tidal boating so probably not a first timers trip. It is not a trip to undertake at this time of year because of the danger of high flow and floods.

• Greenie 1

Absolutely. Plenty of people hire narrowboats with no experience. 

The bigger issue is this boat is on the river Wey and your trip to Nottingham will involve the Wey and River Thames. This time of year is not ideal to make river transits due to rain making rivers dangerous (red boards). Also there are probably canal stoppages (planned winter closures for maintenance) on the route So you would be best waiting until spring.

This would also give you a chance to take the boat for a few shakedown cruises......a new unknown boat is also not ideal to take onto a big river on it's first cruise.  

Edited by booke23

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What you need to be aware of is that there are a lot of canal closures during the Winter for maintenance - this could mean that if you choose the wrong route you could be 'stuck' for several weeks.

If you do end up buying it (presumably you are having a survey done) then :

a ) Check your propsed route for stoppages, or,

b ) Wait until Springtime to move it,

Ahh of course! Beguiled by the winter sun again... 

Waiting till Spring definitely sounds like the safest bet.

Cheers 

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

** because of the age of the boat you are unlikely to be able to get comprehensive insurance cover without provididing the insurers a copy of the survey showing it is 'insurable'. 

The other option is https://tingdeneboating.com/boats-for-sale/narrowboat-42-triton-rosie-oday/ 

Either way I'll get a full pre-purchase survey done, but in the long run perhaps it makes sense to invest in the (presumably) better boat 🤔

4 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Either way I'll get a full pre-purchase survey done, but in the long run perhaps it makes sense to invest in the (presumably) better boat 🤔

But - just make sure that your 'pre-purchase survey' is sufficently detailed, and acceptable, to the insurance company you plan to use.

There are differing 'levels' of survey.

She looks a nice boat, but to my mind a bit expensive for its age / size.

Each to their own - but with the second one, you will be trudging thru the bedroom in your wet muddy clothes to go and make a brew etc. (Rear bedroom) It also has a pumpout toilet which many dislike.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

I cruised from Stretham (near Ely) to Nantwich after I bought my boat, having done a boating holiday about 7 years earlier. 

That trip included going through Denver Sluice on my second day of cruising, and the short tidal river section to Salter's Lode.

So yes it can definitely be done (at the right time of year if its a river), but there are a few things you'll want to be careful of as a newbie. 

For me the biggest risk was (and is) doing locks- it is absolutely essential to keep the boat away from the cill at the back end when going down in a lock, and watch the boat doesn't get hung up on a rope around a bollard. It's so easy to get talking to a passer by and forget to keep an eye on your boat in the lock....

In fact I usually keep an emergency rope cutter in my back pocket on days when I do locks, in case I make a mistake and the boat get hung up on a rope.

Also, when its icy/rainy, its easy to slip when pushing on a lock gate, so watch out for that. 

Also look up a couple of knot tying lessons on youtube. You can use the canalman's hitch to tie the stern, and the cleat hitch at the front.  

I got to the end of my first day's cruise and only then realised that I didnt have much of an idea how I was going to attach the boat to the bank. Which was interesting.

One other thing I think newbies neglect is to check on the batteries. Don't let them get much below 12.2 volts, and certainly not for too long, or you will damage them, and will soon need new ones.

Keep an eye on the fuel level and the water tank, so you'll know when to fill up etc (in fact fill up with diesel at the first opportunity). Check the map of the route ahead for marinas (for fuel, coal etc), and the CRT facilities points (for water/elsan etc).

There are a few other things that it will be handy to know when you start off, to avoid trouble- these are just some examples to make life easier and do less damage to the boat and yourself. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony1 said:

I cruised from Stretham (near Ely) to Nantwich after I bought my boat, having done a boating holiday about 7 years earlier. 

That trip included going through Denver Sluice on my second day of cruising, and the short tidal river section to Salter's Lode.

So yes it can definitely be done, but there are a few things you'll want to be careful of as a newbie. 

For me the biggest risk was (and is) doing locks- it is absolutely essential to keep the boat away from the cill at the back end when going down in a lock, and watch the boat doesn't get hung up on a rope around a bollard. It's so easy to get talking to a passer by and forget to keep an eye on your boat in the lock....

In fact I usually keep an emergency rope cutter in my back pocket on days when I do locks, in case I make a mistake and the boat get hung up on a rope.

Also, when its icy/rainy, its easy to slip when pushing on a lock gate, so watch out for that. 

Also look up a couple of knot tying lessons on youtube. You can use the canalman's hitch to tie the stern, and the cleat hitch at the front.  

I got to the end of my first day's cruise and only then realised that I didnt have much of an idea how I was going to attach the boat to the bank. Which was interesting.

One other thing I think newbies neglect is to check on the batteries. Don't let them get much below 12.2 volts, and certainly not for too long, or you will damage them, and will soon need new ones.

Keep an eye on the fuel level and the water tank, so you'll know when to fill up etc (in fact fill up with diesel at the first opportunity). Check the map of the route ahead for marinas (for fuel, coal etc), and the CRT facilities points (for water/elsan etc).

There are a few other things that it will be handy to know when you start off, to avoid trouble- these are just some examples to make life easier and do less damage to the boat and yourself. 

Amazing - thank you!

I'll have to buy a notebook and write all of these tips down - a small one that I can colour-code and keep in my back pocket for emergencies / peace of mind. 

17 minutes ago, booke23 said:

The bigger issue is this boat is on the river Wey and your trip to Nottingham will involve the Wey and River Thames.

And presumably the Trent as well, but at least by the time he got there he would have some experience. I am not sure that I would like to try to single hand through the Trent manned locks.

3 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Amazing - thank you!

I'll have to buy a notebook and write all of these tips down - a small one that I can colour-code and keep in my back pocket for emergencies / peace of mind. 

Tbh the folks here are super helpful and will give you much more useful advice than I ever could.

Maybe when the time comes to start the trip (in the Spring?), I would post here again asking for things to look out for, and useful tips etc, so its fresh in your mind. 

But the batteries thing is important, and it could save you hundreds.

When I moved aboard I just sort of assumed the electrics were going to work ok, and it was only on day 3 or 4 that I started really looking at what the batteries were doing- and by then I'd already damaged them.

This is only one of the points, and there will be others- in fact its all a bit overwhelming when you get onto your first boat.

But be aware of the batteries within an hour of moving aboard, and keep half an eye on them. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And presumably the Trent as well, but at least by the time he got there he would have some experience. I am not sure that I would like to try to single hand through the Trent manned locks.

Absolutely. 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But very few single handed

Very true. I'd certainly advise he takes Tony's advice heads upstream on the Thames.

If going via the Thames check the closures as some of the locks are closed til the end of March.

Even after that it can get quite hairy. I've been out on the River in April with red boards and flooded banks.

I would be tempted to consider road transport for a small narrow boat. It might not be as expensive as you think.

On the other hand in spring with good conditions a trip from the Wey to the midlands would be a very nice bit of boating. Up the River to the Oxford and the world (well the canals) is your oyster. One way only but what freedom awaits !!

To be fair a 42 footer can be turned in quite a lot of places so possibly two way rather than just one.

One option would be to use a boat mover for the river section of the Thames and then once back on muddy ditches the OP takes over.

That would keep the cost down

And by the time they got to the Trent (non tidal) they would have some experience under their belt.

Edited by M_JG

20 minutes ago, M_JG said:

One option would be to use a boat mover for the river section of the Thames and then once back on muddy ditches the OP takes over.

That would keep the cost down

And by the time they got to the Trent (non tidal) they would have some experience under their belt.

And be a lot more fun especially if he accompanies the mover to say Thrupp

Canalplan says:

This is a trip of 185 miles, ¼ furlongs and 166 locks from Pyrford Marina to Nottingham Castle Marina.

This will take 93 hours and 40 minutes which is 13 days, 2 hours and 40 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Capture.PNG.cacdc3c423038faeea77670171cf8a03.PNG

As a newbie and singlehanded, you will probably be slower than Canalplan's default speeds, but it gives you an idea of how long the trip might take.

Alternative route via Oxfod is a little longer

This is a trip of 222 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 141 locks from Pyrford Marina to Nottingham Castle Marina.

This will take 108 hours and 6 minutes which is 15 days, 3 hours and 6 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Capture.PNG.c634169a172195edb1724a73c58556fb.PNG

• Greenie 1

Be aware (if you aren't already) that boats are being snapped up quickly at the moment so if you do decide you want one of them, you'll need to make the offer now even if you can't move it yet

Your other option is a professional boat mover or paying for it to be transported on the back of a lorry. The lorry can move the boat when the canals and rivers are blocked for stoppages and high river levels.

The Oxford canal route (longer on the Thames with lock keepers, then a narrow canal for most of the way) might be easier than the first route up the Grand Union, though the advantage of busy double locks is that you might get to share with another narrowboat going the same way...

I did it the opposite way around many years ago. Bought a cracking boat in Nottingham in a freezing December and wanted it here in Reading, NOW! 

So I booked a lorry/cranes and had it delivered down here in just a few days. No time off work needed and I got my new toy immediately.

I've had three boats road transported. One from Whitby to Henley on Thames, one from Wigan to Henley on Thames and one from Fosdyke to Reading. 

All nice boats which for some reason were in the wrong place to start with. Now corrected. 

There are quite a lot of boat haulage people. 

Boatshift is a good one. 

I used ES Frisby for one of my boat moves and they did a good job for a great price. 

If you are flexible with timing it helps. 

It's not a large boat so it might be less expensive than you expect. I don't know if Pyrford lift to transport. I think not as the roads there are a bit small. You would probably need to get it to Shepperton or Penton Hook. 

Not difficult if the Thames is behaving. If it is on red boards then it's a reasonably hazardous journey to get to Shepperton Marina and advice is to not travel.  

A bit awkward if you have already booked a transporter. 

Edited by magnetman