Fender attachment

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The hooks are interesting

I used to occasionally find those with the magnet, opened right out. Forged iron items. 

39 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Open hooks are an invitation for someone to nick your fenders. At least shackles done up tight need tools to remove.

Just saw through the middle of one side of a chain link with a junior bowsaw. Nobody will notice it is open but it will let go under strain. 

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Just saw through the middle of one side of a chain link with a junior bowsaw. Nobody will notice it is open but it will let go under strain. 

I have done just that. And I have put it to the test. The link just opened up as it should when the fender got caught. Whereas using a rope as the weak link didn't.

In my experience, the bow fender was hung from above. The weak link is designed to release it should it be caught when ascending or descending locks. Using fixings below to hold the fender in place are a recipe for disaster in the event of a hang up and I think that this has been responsible for fatalities in the past. On Resolute, my old boat, the bow fender was hundred from 2 d shaped shackles mounted on triangular plates just forward of the cants. Shackles secured the chains to the D hooks and rubber hose was pulled over the chains to minimise chafing to paintwork, a weak partly cut through link added as a safety factor. Some hulls have fender anchorages in decidedly unsafe places, in my opinion….fabricators rather than boatbuilders.

Dave

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Is this "traditional?"

One of the issues is that "traditional" tends to vary!

If you will excuse the pun, I feel at times we can get too "hung up" on what is "traditional."

Taken at Alvecote Aug 2022.

IMGP6055.JPG

Also this:

image.jpeg.0a4ac2ef79f907f4eb45af2e4a8afa7a.jpeg

That bottom drawing is clearly for a model canal boat, not a real one. 1.5" per foot, so one eighth full size. Not good evidence for traditional practice. 😀

17 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Using fixings below to hold the fender in place are a recipe for disaster in the event of a hang up and I think that this has been responsible for fatalities in the past. 

It seems terrible that people would end up being drowned just because of a fender. 

When I had narrow boats I did away with the rope fenders on the front as I don't like them at all. Obviously handy on the stern for protecting the rudder blade but now fender no thanks. 

There is technically a requirement to have one but one wonders about the enforceability of it as suggested above in a previous post. 

What is the fender meant to protect against ? Is it damage to locks or potential hazard to other boats? 

If it is locks then I think that's a red herring as you have to hit a lock gate really hard to damage it and a rope fender is not going to make all that much difference if the boat has a lot of momentum. 

I suppose if you hit a gate without a fender you could hole the gate. 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That bottom drawing is clearly for a model canal boat, not a real one. 1.5" per foot, so one eighth full size. Not good evidence for traditional practice. 😀

Here is the bow and stern fenders on one of my model narrowboats, I haven't had a hang up yet. 😁

IMGP8009.JPG

IMGP7671.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Nice boat. Unusual T stud. 

Yes, as conventional ones are unavailable in model form to the scale 1:25 I had to fabricate one from copper wire.

Put "T stud" in a search engine and you get things for earoles and other places! 😲

Edited by Ray T

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The drawing would be 71' 6" long if it were drawn to scale. It is not a drawing for a model boat, but the scale to which the DRAWING was drawn.

As mentioned before, 'tradition' comes from safe best practice, but in real life, that can be interpretated in several ways depending on the boat, the waterway, the crew, and sometimes what you can get away with.

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Open hooks are an invitation for someone to nick your fenders. At least shackles done up tight need tools to remove.

You think thieves don't carry tools . . . A 4" pocket adjustable will undo most fender shackles, but I have never had fenders stolen anywhere. Maggots in the cabin, once had a firework dropped down a deck vent at Cowley, but nothing stolen in 12yrs afloat. No - tell a fib, some kids pinched some firewood from my pile in the cratch once to light a camp fire. It was pretty green, so no brew up for them.

10 hours ago, Ray T said:

Here is the bow and stern fenders on one of my model narrowboats, I haven't had a hang up yet. 😁

IMGP8009.JPG

IMGP7671.JPG

Nope, they are obviously photographs of a real boat, taken with a tilt-shift lens to make it look like a model. I'm not fooled. They are far to realistic to be a model, despite the trick camera work. If it were a model, you would be an excellent model maker and I would be in awe of your skill. 😀

57 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

The drawing would be 71' 6" long if it were drawn to scale. It is not a drawing for a model boat, but the scale to which the DRAWING was drawn.

As mentioned before, 'tradition' comes from safe best practice, but in real life, that can be interpretated in several ways depending on the boat, the waterway, the crew, and sometimes what you can get away with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

One L&LC boatman did say to me that he thought bow fenders were a sign of a poor boatman, as you should not be hitting lock gates - or other boats. You should only fit them when tied up as a way of improving the boat's appearance.

Pluto 494, Worsley.jpg

10 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Maybe, but originally they were intended to protect the boat.

Keith

That was in the days of wooden boats and iron men -- meaning, boatmen who knew what they were doing.

Now we have steel boats, wooden lock gates, and boaters with no clue -- without fenders that's a recipe for lock damage, which is presumably why CART require them to be fitted... 😉

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

That was in the days of wooden boats and iron men -- meaning, boatmen who knew what they were doing.

Now we have steel boats, wooden lock gates, and boaters with no clue -- without fenders that's a recipe for lock damage, which is presumably why CART require them to be fitted... 😉

You will note that I didn't disagree with MTB's comment on why they might be mandatory, if they indeed are.

Vessels of all types use fenders in order to protect the vessel.

Ever seen the fenders that are fitted to tugs? ( I mean real tugs not narrow boats btw ) Also have you seen some of the historical damage on steel ex working boats?

https://www.marineinsight.com/marine-navigation/marine-fenders-and-ship-berthing/