Fender attachment

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

Is there a traditional method, rope material and/or knot for securing fenders to the boat? I am thinking particularly how the fender chains are extended to the fixing points in the photo. 

John's Bow Fender.jpg

Using metal links like that at the boat end is likely to lead to damage to the paint underneath and eventually rust.

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Fenders? Traditional? 

Well I suppose a chain with one link sawn through and led through a piece of bicycle innertube would work but proper boats don't have bow fenders. 

Whats on the bow of this one then

The Barlow Boats

30 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Fenders? Traditional? 

Well I suppose a chain with one link sawn through and led through a piece of bicycle innertube would work but proper boats don't have bow fenders. 

I think CaRT disagree with you one that. I think they are mandatory in the terms and conditions. I agree non-canal boats tend not to, but there are plenty of exceptions.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think CaRT disagree with you one that. I think they are mandatory in the terms and conditions. I agree non-canal boats tend not to, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Non canal boats are the only kind of proper boat.  Canal boats are nowt but glorified skips.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes  but proper boats still don't have bow fenders.

I do mean narrow boats. Proper ones.

Edited by magnetman

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

IIRC It is mandatory to have a fender ready for use.  It does not require that one is actually in place.

N

• Happy 1

I believe that there is a case for a weak link, just in case the bow fender gets trapped. Just how one determines how or if this will work has so far defeated me, I only use two of the three embedded chains, but then get people telling me my fender is insecure. 

4 hours ago, Lady C said:

No wonder the gates break.

I must admit to a gentle nudge from time to time, occasionally lock doors are just very heavy, and daylight is running out. 

Edited by LadyG

Is this "traditional?"

One of the issues is that "traditional" tends to vary!

If you will excuse the pun, I feel at times we can get too "hung up" on what is "traditional."

Taken at Alvecote Aug 2022.

IMGP6055.JPG

Also this:

image.jpeg.0a4ac2ef79f907f4eb45af2e4a8afa7a.jpeg

Edited by Ray T

That's a Yarwood's plan.

It is generally accepted that fenders should not be fixed in such a way that if they get caught or hung up in any way, they could affect the stability of the boat - they need to be 'breakable'. Hence the open hook in a chain, and the string on the outermost fender, the one that is most likely to get caught in a closing gate or under a gate cross beam, fore end or aft.

The 'traditional' description, should really relate to the best and safest practice.

Edited by Derek R.