Image for identification

Heartland

Featured Posts

I can't work out what the load is.

Clearly nothing very heavy for that type of butty to be showing so much dry sides.

I assume that description indicates below the Audlem flight, moving away from it.  Did the canal there really look like that?

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Norton junction facing towards Buckby locks? Can't remember as have not been there for about 13 years. 

Very unlikely as Birdswood was a Northwestern Division boat, operating generally on the Shroppie and T&M canals. @Chris M Jones is almost certainly correct.

Edited by John Brightley

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I assume that description indicates below the Audlem flight, moving away from it.  Did the canal there really look like that?

Looking at a Nicholsons, if it is as above, then there would be a winding hole at about the point it looks like there could be one.

However after that, not very far at all from the bottom lock, shows as Moss Hall Aqueduct.  I'm not knowledgable enough on the Shroppie to know what that aqueduct looks like, but unless it doesn't involve any change to the canal width, and has no walls or railings visible from the cut it does seem inconsistent with the picture.

If it is taken from the bridge by Buckby Wharf then the little clear area on the left after the junction is still a CRT depot of sorts so perhaps an old wharf.

Bank protection on the right hand side really looks like GUCCo upgrade 1934 concrete piling. 

Also it looks a bit wide to be a narrow canal. Definitely (to me) has the feel of the GU. I also think the alignment is exactly right for my suggestion. The rising land on the right hand side is also suggestive of a contour approaching a flight of locks. 

Edited by magnetman

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

However after that, not very far at all from the bottom lock, shows as Moss Hall Aqueduct.  I'm not knowledgable enough on the Shroppie to know what that aqueduct looks like, but unless it doesn't involve any change to the canal width, and has no walls or railings visible from the cut it does seem inconsistent with the picture.

The canal doesn't narrow over that aqueduct and nor does it have railings etc next to the water. When boating, it's actually easy to miss the fact you're going over the river there.

Edited by John Brightley

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't work out what the load is.

Clearly nothing very heavy for that type of butty to be showing so much dry sides.

If I remember correctly, it looks very much like winding hole at the bottom of the Audlem flight looks today,

The building is out of site on the left, if it existed then, and nothing much has changed 

Edited by Goliath

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Moss Hall Winding hole below Audlem bottom lock

6069271_be1fc905_800x800.jpg

From https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6069271

Looks pretty much like the OP's image location to me.

It looks much wider than 30ft in the old photo. Maybe a camera effect. 

Also the house at Norton Junction is riddled with pvc double glazing and built in local stone so I think probably not very old. Certainly not listed judging by the windows ! 

25 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also the house at Norton Junction is riddled with pvc double glazing and built in local stone so I think probably not very old. Certainly not listed judging by the windows ! 

If this is the house(s) you refer to, they used to belong to Waterways, I'm sure they have history prior to that. I believe they are now holiday cottages. The single house was a toll keepers house as boats were gauged at the junction. This house was later lived in by Major & Mrs. Fielding of the Salvation Army following their retirement from ministering to boaters needs at Sutton Stop.

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/EXTRASIMAGE2290

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/EXTRASIMAGE1547

v0_web.jpg

v0_web.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

Tied up on the far bank in the gauging image is a boat that looks like KINGFISHER, the company inspection boat.

I must have taken these in the late eighties, and after Major Fielding had passed.

1503128062_NortonJ.Fieldings0001.JPG.d8b411410838d33bd5658cd08caebf61.JPG

1897095207_NortonJ.Fieldings0003.JPG.8896054948e87c9b78215a47772935f6.JPG

I recall the cradle used to have a makeshift model narrowboat on it, ready to launch.

When we first passed in 1983, The Major was in the garden with his Airdale letting us know he was 'on guard'!

I have a thought that the caravan used to be a shelter for those in need.

34614686_NortonJ.Fieldings0004.JPG.79349ca7a4c097861192e951912932c3.JPG

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 2

19 hours ago, magnetman said:

Norton junction facing towards Buckby locks? Can't remember as have not been there for about 13 years. 

I think the photo shows some lighter splodges where the pub on the A5 would roughly be, so the question is, if it is Norton junction when were those houses built.

House might be from the 40s. If the original photo was 1930s and the pictures shown on the CRT archive are 50s or 60s (the cars are a clue). 

It could be a post war house related to nationalisation. There is a CRT yard there which would lend credence to that theory. 

It does not look like an old canal house at all the architecture is all wrong. 

That would add up. 

But they think it is below Audlem so it probably is. 

Edited by magnetman