Bristol Harbour - What's happening?

Lottie1996

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Yes, but there's 2 ways to avoid it, the other one being to use a cleaner vehicle.

This is coming to more cities and areas in the UK, there is already a migration to the countryside of pre-2015 diesels etc. And there's very few petrol cars which aren't exempt, Euro 4 came in so long ago. A petrol would need to be really old to be charged.

And that is the problem, it is moving the emission issue not reducing it.  There are now areas around Bristol where emissions have gone up as drivers use alternative routes.

Exactly! 

The "clean air ones" will become cleaner than they were; while the other areas will become less clean. BUT in general, these were not so densely built-up urban areas so they didn't have a local problem. Effectively, the nasty particles etc are still at a lower level in the slightly dirtier non-clean air zones as they once were in the clean air zones.

4 hours ago, Paul C said:

Yes, but there's 2 ways to avoid it, the other one being to use a cleaner vehicle.

This is coming to more cities and areas in the UK, there is already a migration to the countryside of pre-2015 diesels etc. And there's very few petrol cars which aren't exempt, Euro 4 came in so long ago. A petrol would need to be really old to be charged.

I turned down a boiler repair in Bristol the other day as my ten year old van is not 'clean' enough to go there. 

Being poor as a church mouse I cannot afford the £35k a suitable van for Bristol would cost. 

I suppose I could sell a boat to fund such a purchase but then why should I?

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

I turned down a boiler repair in Bristol the other day as my ten year old van is not 'clean' enough to go there. 

It needs far more trades persons and delivery companies to do that, or stick a hefty surcharge onto any quote and/or bill to cover the costs AND make it clear why. That may concentrate a few minds.

I stopped accepting work in London years ago.

Edited by Tony Brooks

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Being poor as a church mouse I cannot afford the £35k a suitable van for Bristol would cost. 

I suppose I could sell a boat to fund such a purchase but then why should I?

Don't spend £35k then. I don't know how big your van needs to be but if you need something Euro 6, there is plenty of choice out there......and there's leasing etc.

Just now, Paul C said:

Don't spend £35k then. I don't know how big your van needs to be but if you need something Euro 6, there is plenty of choice out there......and there's leasing etc.

I do NOT need "something Euro 6". My van was bought and paid for years ago and if local politicians decide I cannot use it in their area, then their voters will experience the consequences.

Just now, Paul C said:

Why should he spend anything? It seems he has plenty of work from word of mouth and his known expertise. All that the zone has done is left the citizens of Bristol to people with less expertise.

Similar happens in London. "ULEZ" now prevents me from going there to keep people warm. 

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

What Euro 6 van can I lease for £0 per month? 

Genuinely interested....

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Why should he spend anything? It seems he has plenty of work from word of mouth and his known expertise. All that the zone has done is left the citizens of Bristol to people with less expertise.

Why would a plumber who runs a Euro 6 van correlate to having less experience? I don't see the link.

Just now, Paul C said:

Why would a plumber who runs a Euro 6 van correlate to having less experience? I don't see the link.

No, you would not because I doubt you have been following his posts etc. As I understand it, he specializes if fixing systems and boilers that have foxed other professionals. Incidently, Mike is not a plumber, he is a gas boiler engineer. A straight plumber does no need Gassafe registration.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

And from what I hear it tend to the poorer people who run older boilers that suffer, not those who bring in such zones with enough money to afford new boilers as and when. They can also revel in the green glow.

Actually, my primary market is well off 'upper middle class' people who have the very best boilers money could buy back in the 90s. I travelled to Ashford in Kent the other day from here in Wiltshire for example to fix one. A typical example of someone whose boiler packed up for the first time in 30 years and was so impressed with its reliability they just wanted it fixed regardless of the cost, rather then get a new one with a projected lifespan of ten years. 

Just now, MtB said:

Actually, my primary market is well off 'upper middle class' people who have the very best boilers money could buy back in the 90s. I travelled to Ashford in Kent the other day from here in Wiltshire for example to fix one. A typical example of someone whose boiler packed up for the first time in 30 years and was so impressed with its reliability they just wanted it fixed regardless of the cost, rather then get a new one with a projected lifespan of ten years. 

OK, but the fact remains that you have and are known to have skills and expertise not readily available. All the councils are doing is depriving their citizens of your skills. One could argue that the pollution embedded in the production of a new van that what keeping it on the road does.

At the end of the day its a business decision for any tradesman/van operator who might enter these areas. Either stick with (probably cheaper/older) non Euro 6 diesel van; or re-invest in the business with a suitable vehicle to enter a clean zone or two, thus not suffering a restriction in customer base.

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

At the end of the day its a business decision for any tradesman/van operator who might enter these areas. Either stick with (probably cheaper/older) non Euro 6 diesel van; or re-invest in the business with a suitable vehicle to enter a clean zone or two, thus not suffering a restriction in customer base.

Or pay the charge on those days when you enter the zone, and maybe add it to he customer's bill.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

OK, but the fact remains that you have and are known to have skills and expertise not readily available. All the councils are doing is depriving their citizens of your skills. One could argue that the pollution embedded in the production of a new van that what keeping it on the road does.

Perhaps. The oddest thing is why. Boiler-fixing is really simple. 

I breached my 'no ULEZ' rule yesterday and visited someone in north London. I traced the fault to a failed pump and their boiler was actually fine. Customer was delighted to have a solution even though I didn't fix it. Their pump valves were horribly de-zincified and already leaking so I declined to disturb them. 

They had already had three supposed heating engineers around all of whom prescribed a new boiler, which the custard (plumberspeke for customer, lol) perceptively felt was not a reliable diagnosis, and he was right. His boiler was fine and now all he needs to do now is get a plumber in under instruction to drain down the (massive) heating system, replace the pump and valves, refill and test.

Very happy customer to finally get a credible diagnosis. 

I am becoming quite amused by this debate. What idealists seem to fail to realise is that those who are at the top of their profession like mtb and Tony can pick which clients to take on.

Only those struggling for work will pick up the difficult to service clients. These tend to be less able or experienced and may provide a poorer service. 

I myself, before I retired, have avoided clients with a history of problems either logistical or financial.

Is it right? Maybe not, but it is the reality of the world we live in. Would I pick up work in a ULEZ? Not without loading the quote to reflect the inconvenience.  Your choice Mr/Mrs Client.

My apologies, Rusty69, you are quite right. Terminal thread drift, not helped by my good self. I hope the OP gets the information required.

I do get twitchy, however, when idealism bumps into reality.  These restrictions are all well and good, but those implementing such rules should not be surprised when the outcome is not all they desired.

14 minutes ago, Ken X said:

My apologies, Rusty69, you are quite right. Terminal thread drift, not helped by my good self. I hope the OP gets the information required.

I do get twitchy, however, when idealism bumps into reality.  These restrictions are all well and good, but those implementing such rules should not be surprised when the outcome is not all they desired.

No need to apologise to me. I'm a serial thread drift offender myself. I was just messing about.