Bristol Harbour - What's happening?

Lottie1996

Featured Posts

Sorry, it wouldn't let me select the mooring & marina topic, so I posted here instead.

In 2021 I messaged the Bristol harbour email regarding winter mooring and the reply I got back was 

'pontoon repairs' and then a few months later the harbour is 'under review'.

Now another year has passed and there still seems to be some kind of standstill regarding the waiting list being removed.

I've seen spaces in the harbour, so I am just confused as to why it so gatekeeped?

And what did the harbour review conclusion come to?

I've been looking at saltford marina, but I really want to be in Bristol at some point in the future.

Is there any point to keep trying or should I just give up? 😕

Appendix A - Schedule of Fees and Charges 23-24.pdf (bristol.gov.uk)   

Geese and golden eggs comes to mind. No. 2 son lives in Bristol (in a house) and I got stung by the clean air charge last week - £9 for a few yards that the stupid sat nav led me down.  

Edited by Bee
added a bit

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

Appendix A - Schedule of Fees and Charges 23-24.pdf (bristol.gov.uk)   

Geese and golden eggs comes to mind. No. 2 son lives in Bristol (in a house) and I got stung by the clean air charge last week - £9 for a few yards that the stupid sat nav led me down.  

I'm not saying anything about bee's getting stung. Nooooo, not me.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not saying anything about bee's getting stung. Nooooo, not me.

We were in Bristol last night spending a night with the children to break our Yorkshire to Cornwall transit (in the car, not the boat 😀). We just avoided the zone chage by going back out North and round the top of Bristol, so maybe adding a fair bit of CO2 to our journey. My "children" say a couple of the real losers are those who work a night shift and get hit by the charge on the way to work and again on the way home.

There's been a number of complaints from people travelling to Bristol airport as the sign posted route from the M5 goes through the charging zone and by the time you see a sign it is too late.  It has caused a number of back roads to become more used as ways if avoiding charges.  Our office is not in the charging zone but it is impossible to get to it without passing through a charged area in all directions.

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There's been a number of complaints from people travelling to Bristol airport as the sign posted route from the M5 goes through the charging zone and by the time you see a sign it is too late.  It has caused a number of back roads to become more used as ways if avoiding charges.  Our office is not in the charging zone but it is impossible to get to it without passing through a charged area in all directions.

That kind of proves it is revenue raising rather than an anti-polution measure.

53 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Its only charged if you have a polluting vehicle. So, its obviously an anti-pollution thing.

If that is so, then why are they not warning about the low emission zone in very clear notices BEFORE directing people into the zone as they try to get to the airport following the direction signs. At present, it sounds very much like "entrapment" to me.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If that is so, then why are they not warning about the low emission zone in very clear notices BEFORE directing people into the zone as they try to get to the airport following the direction signs. At present, it sounds very much like "entrapment" to me.

Because certain people such as yourself refuse to acknowledge the widespread publicity and are so blinkered as to miss the hundreds of clear road signs???? What do you want, a man on a horse personally visit your house with a wax-sealed script directly from the Mayor of Bristol?

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Because certain people such as yourself refuse to acknowledge the widespread publicity and are so blinkered as to miss the hundreds of clear road signs???? What do you want, a man on a horse personally visit your house with a wax-sealed script directly from the Mayor of Bristol?

Not much publicity about it up here in Shropshire and not many very clear signs on the small roads through Bedminster either until its too late. Pity the poor people in Easton in Gordano who will now see us and a good many more people travelling through their village.

19 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Firstly, local publicity and knowledge has no relevance for non-locals travelling to places like airports. You assert there are hundreds of clear road signs, but here is the thing, When travelling past Bristol on the M4 and M5 I have not seen signs warning that following the airport signs gets you into the charging zone. So if you are correct that the signs are in place, then I don't think they are clear enough. If they were, then why are "a number" of people complaining about the lack of adequate signage.

Personally, I have other experiences of inadequate signage. The first relates to entering the London outer low emission zone via a very minor road and residential roads. There were no very clear signs stating I was entering the zone. There might have been a small sign attached to a lamp post, but it was far from obvious or clear to a non-local driver. Secondly, carefully following a direction sign is Swindon directing one to Stratton you suddenly find that that sign is directing you straight into a bus lane, again local drives probably know about this scam but non-locals are unlikely to. The sign image for going around a roundabout to the exit is well known and perfectly clear, a single straight arrow is not. Just two examples of inadequate road signage, there are hundreds of others like speed limit signs and repeaters hidden by street furniture or out of control vegetation.

Edited to add: You claim "widespread publicity", can you link to the national public information campaign run by Bristol council to ensure the publicity was indeed widespread and not just widespread locally? One does not normally expect an airport handling international flights to be in a part of a city that requires low pollution zones apart from London City

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Bless

Thank god there is a requirement that over 70s must get medically assessed to renew a driving licence every 3 years.

Wrong!

Normal driving licences only require the person to state they are still capable. Only things like PCV and over 3.5 tonnes require a doctor's certificate.

Edit to add.

I understand that Bristol Royal Infirmary is inside the zone, which is crazy. 

I'm Brum the Children's Hospital is likewise, as I found taking a patient in the other week. Thankfully I've got a car that is exempt as it is a hybrid.

Edited by Graham Davis

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

There is no signage at Avonmouth when you are directed off the M5 to the airport along the portway.  As the only way to then cross the river is to pass through the charge zone.

• Greenie 1

There would be loads of fines be quashed because, since 28 Nov last year when it went live, this would be a hot topic in Bristol and countless motorists who have been "entrapped" would have validly claimed the signage doesn't meet the requirement? Is this so?

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Wrong!

Normal driving licences only require the person to state they are still capable. Only things like PCV and over 3.5 tonnes require a doctor's certificate.

Edit to add.

I understand that Bristol Royal Infirmary is inside the zone, which is crazy. 

I'm Brum the Children's Hospital is likewise, as I found taking a patient in the other week. Thankfully I've got a car that is exempt as it is a hybrid.

Hospital visits are also exempt.

Look at it from Bristol Council's point of view, They operate moorings that are not only 100% full but have a waiting list of several years. I would suggest any business that is running at that level of occupancy should be looking at increasing their charges and if its a public body they would be open to criticism for not maximising their income for their rate payers. What would you do if it was your business?  

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

To go to the Isle of Wight via Portsmouth now involves traversing a low emission zone.  Non-exempt vehicles must go via Southampton or Lymington to avoid it.  

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

To go to the Isle of Wight via Portsmouth now involves traversing a low emission zone.  Non-exempt vehicles must go via Southampton or Lymington to avoid it.  

Yes, but there's 2 ways to avoid it, the other one being to use a cleaner vehicle.

This is coming to more cities and areas in the UK, there is already a migration to the countryside of pre-2015 diesels etc. And there's very few petrol cars which aren't exempt, Euro 4 came in so long ago. A petrol would need to be really old to be charged.